woodheat4me,this is for you!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Now Greg,if you are reading this,please remember I am not making fun of you,I am simply relating our last woodcutting experiences.

Alright, since you all have taken such an interest in woodheat4me, or "#### Greg,look out!" as I have found easier to say when a nice big red oak is on its way down and he is ogling the woman who owns the place, I have decided to relate our last experiences from the previous weekend.Like before, i am a long winded bird, and if you have no patience, then hit the backbutton.

The day dawned like any other day, a bit windy, a bit of rain, and a mite chilly first thing in the morning.I spent the first hour looking for my lucky pants, I aint no fool.dont cut wood without your lucky pants.I found them under the dog, she thought they smelled nice and dragged them out of the laundry basket before settling down for the night.this should have clued me in how the day was going to go.

We loaded up the saws, tools, 11 roast beef sandwhiches left over from the night before, a hatful of ketchup packets for those sandwhiches, and a cooler full of Dew .I thoughtfully left out the liverworst cause I knew Greg was going to have enough of a day without leaving any exhaust fumes from his rear end.
We loaded up our cereal cups with a nice helping of mini wheats and parked in front of the boob tube to catch the morning weather report.As we sat there shoveling cereal in, Greg kept sniffing and looking around.Finally I had to ask him what the trouble was.
"Well,I keep smelling the dog, but i dont see her anywhere."
Rather than getting into a long discussion of how my pants smelled like labrador, I merily grunted and pointed out that she is old, and prone to leave a trail behind when she passes through.He seemed okay with that.

Before we headed out, I asked Greg if he wanted a quick cup of coffee before we started the day, he said sure.
After watching me dig around in the freezer,I guess curiosity got the best of him.
"What are you looking for in the freezer, fresh beans to grind?"
I laughed."Nope, non of that Yuppy fresh ground coffee in this house.I was looking for the ice cream."
"Ice cream, what does that have to do with coffee?"
"Well, its like this. You and I both like a little cream and sugar in our coffee,right?Well, I put a scoop of ice cream in the bottom of the cup like this, pour the hot coffee over it, and walla!Not only do you have both the sugar and cream you like, but your coffee is cooled down enough to drink in one big swallow.I aint got time to sit around all morning and sip the dang thing."

Well, he gave it a try while I swallowed mine down, and he did just fine until he ran across the almond pieces.Guess city folks aint used to finding chunky stuff in their coffee.

Breakfast behind us, we jumped in the truck and headed out.Our cutting for the day was going to be simple, a nice red oak in the yard of a real nice woman from our church.Before I got there,I explained that although the woman was nice looking, she was an honest church going woman, and to keep your eyeballs in his head.Being happily married, Greg reckoned he could accomadate my wishes.
Nearing our destination, I was busy looking at the GPS, hoping that it would clue me in on where the turn was.At the last minute I spied the rural road on the map, looked up, and realized that I was about to miss my turn.Sadly for Greg, my brakes work pretty good, even with a half ton trailer nailed on the back.
Greg hit the dash pretty hard I reckon, harder than i would have liked to, but lucky for me the steering wheel saved me from the dash. Then all hell broke loose.
As Greg layed against the dash in a daze, he happened to look down at the collection of stuff that had slid out from under his seat.Eyes wide, speechless, and with a flourish that I would have never expected from a guy his age, he had that door open and was bailing out before I had any idea what the problem was.I thought that maybe the whip cream that I had generously added to his cereal had maybe had an unplanned exit, so I really didnt think anything more about it.I finally managed to secure the emergency brake, got out, and cautiously approached the other side of the truck.Greg was nowhere to be found.

I glanced into the bed of the truck, and there was Greg, scrunched down and appeared to be ready for battle.
"Okay, whats up man?"
"There is something alive in your truck, I saw it! It had brown fur,teeth, and was just about to grab my leg!"
"WTF?Are you nuts?I got the rat out of there a long time ago!"
"No, it was real, i saw it!"
Well, this called for a little investigation.I cautiously approached the passenger side of the truck, expecting at any moment to be eaten alive.No sound was heard, but just in case i went ahead and peeled my knife from my sheath.
There, laying on the floor of the truck, was a coonskin pelt.We use it for training our hunting dogs to follow a trail, and in all honesty it did look rather brash.I couldnt help but smile.
Now, the best part of me really wanted to have some fun with Greg, but a quick look back at him made me realize that if i carried the joke any further, our day of cutting would probably be over.I hauled the pelt out of the truck,and at a distance showed it to him.

At first he was relieved, then he got a little pissed.
"What the heck do you carry that around in the truck for?"
I explained the process of training a new pup for coon hunting by dragging a fresh coon pelt across the yard and let him follow the trail to a treat. I didnt go into the explanation of how that pelt is preserved with cow brains mashed into it though, I thought that maybe that was more than what hsi city fellow brain could handle.

We finnally arrived at the house, and I introduced Greg to Ms.Copennan. She was a nice enough lady, but I sure wish she had put something on more than a robe and slippers, I needed Greg to be concentrating on getting this tree down on the ground and not on Ms.Copennan.

The morning past quickly, the tree hit the ground where we wanted it too, and we quickly had the brush cleared away and began cutting our lengths.As we worked, I noticed Ms.Copennan's cat wandering around, she was a little skittish everytime we made any fast moves in her direction, and looked an awful lot like a raccoon.So much so that I thought of the pelt in the truck and my brain began to get ideas.

Part 2

Stopping for a break, I noticed that cat again, wandering among the piles of rounds ready to be loaded in the trailer.I really just couldnt resist. While Greg was busy trying to get a can open after the pull tab had broken off, I made my way to the truck. I shoved the coonskin pelt down the front of my pants, stuffed my pocket with ketchup packets, and calmly went and sat down next to Greg.He never noticed a thing.

Leisurly I stooped down and flicked the on switch on my little Husky.Greg, noticing my actions, asked, "we going back to work?"
"Nope, I hate cats."
"Ummm.okay.Whats that got to do with your chainsaw?"
Then little fluffy made her appearance again, a few yards off and easing around one of the piles of rounds. I slowly got to my feet, lifted the saw, and cranked her up with one mighty heave of the pull cord.
Now fluffy, scared out of her wits by not only my saw suddenly running at full throttle, but also from the mighty war cry that I managed to choke out, made a run for it back around the house, with me in hot pursuit.I kind felt like Jason in the movies.Made me wish I had a hockey mask.

Now as soon as I was out of sight back around the house, I gave my best impression of a maniac laugh, gunned the saw a few times, and then shut her down. I yanked that coon pelt out of my pants, wrapped it around the bar, and tore open a handful of ketchup packets on the chain teeth. Then sauntered back around the house.

Greg was still trying to recover from what he had witnessed in the front of the house, and was little prepared for me to make an appearance. One look at me and his eyebrows began to creep up to his hairline.His mouth began to drop, and I was waiting for his ears to start wagging when the screaming started accompanied by a loud crash.

Now I was impressed.It wasnt just a constant scream, but pitched up and down.I thought maybe Greg was yodeling or something, and i thought that was a little rude. But it was a pretty good yodel. The I realized that the noise was coming from behind me, not from Greg.

I turned around, and there on the front porch was Ms.Copennan. Littered about her feet were a few glasses,evidently she had brought out some refreshments for the guys that were hard at work killing not only her tree but her cat. Her eyes were rolling around like slot machines while her pretty little mouth was busy cranking out some of the best yodeling that I have ever heard.
I figured that now was the time to make an explanation, so I dropped the saw to the ground and took a step in her direction, fully prepared to make an apology for playing such a cruel joke on Greg,the cat, and her of course.But I didnt get the chance.
One step towards her and she was back in that house, slamming the door so hard I thought for sure she had caved the thing back out. Reluctantly I headed up on to the porch and knocked a few times, but I guess she was busy inside somewhere cause she didnt answer the door.

I was really in a dilemma.Do I go on in, hunt around till I found the old gal?I didnt know her that well, and I figured that maybe she wouldnt like me tromping around her house.Shoot, she could be in the shower for all I know. Greg surmised rather loudly that he bet she was busy calling the cops and I really got worried.

Then I spotted the old guy from next door, he was cautiously working his way through the woods between his house and Ms.Copennan's place. He ogled the saw laying on the ground, and asked me what was going on over here.Evidently Ms.Copennan had decided to call her next door neighbor instead of the cops and i was greatly relieved. The cops told me last time they made a visit that the next time I was going to jail, and I really had to get this tree home today.

I explained the joke, showed the pelt to both the old guy and Greg along with the what was left of the ketchup packets flung under the bushes behind the house, and i thought the old man was having a stroke. he sat down, laughed some more, and finally made his way up to the house.
Sticking his head into the house, he made clear to Ms.Copennan that he was Jack from next door and not some stone cold killer and for her to come out to the front porch.

I then spent the next half hour apolgizing to everyone.Seems to me that a 30 second joke shouldnt take 30 minutes to explain and apologize for, but you know how women are.
Well, we finally got loaded what we could carry, told Ms.Copennan that I would be back Sunday afternoon to get the rest,promised to not only be in church the next day but to leave my jokes at home and headed home.

On the drive home Greg declared himself hungry, I mentioned that we had plenty of roast beef sandwhiches, but for some reason they didnt seem that appealing to him. While stopping for fuel, we spotted a McDonalds, and I agreed to stop only if we could park the truck where we could keep an eye on it.
We found a good spot to park, went inside, and got a pretty good impression of a hamburger.
The place was kind of busy, about the only place left was the long bench along the wall.As we sat down, I noticed the elderly couple alongside me, and she kind of reminded me of my grandma.I said hello, and she replied with a twinkle in her eye and commented that it looked like we had been busy today.
"Yes maam, we have been cutting wood, and we sure are hungry.Wish we had something good to eat, but I guess this will have to do."
She laughed for a bit, then a strange expression began to creep across her face.
As she chewed away at her food, I was rather taken back. Now, I dont know about where you come from, but I am acustomed to senior citizens nibbling at their food.This old gal was really putting away the groceries, faster than my 12 year old.
As she chewed, her eyes began to water, and i really thought she ought to slow down, but she kept packing away them french fries. Conversation with the husband revealed they had been busy all day looking at property and hadnt eaten since breakfast.
As she chewed, her eyes watered more, then she sneezed.Luckily she managed to get a napkin to her face in time, and I wondered what the deal was.
"Are you alright maam?"
"Im okay, just my allergies acting up again."
"Maybe its from our clothes?We have a good bit of sawdust on our clothes."
"Oh heavens no.I have helped my husband all these years gather firewood,it dont bother me a bit.But, I reckon those folks that just passed through her have a dog at home and it is bothering me.I am horribly alergic to dog dander."

Then it hit me.Dog dander.My lucky pants.Shoot, we got to get out of here and quick. After another sneeze and the last napkin, Greg being the gentlman that he is, offered to go get her some more napkins.She nodded gratefully.
After he scooted out the end of the bench, she seemed to calm down. She sat for a moment or two, then opened her BigMac and commenced to chew.
"Maam, sure you dont want to wait until Greg gets back with those napkins?"
"Lord no, Im starving.I will be alright.Its passed."
Greg finally arrived with the napkins, and just as he was leaning over the table to hand them over,Mt.Old Lady erupted.

Now when I think about it, the old gal really ought to be a painter. She applied such an even coat of BigMac on Greg that i was impressed.Didnt miss not even one spot, and even managed to spot that pickle right dead center on his forehead. Greg was less impressed, but luckily he had brought enough napkins for the two of em.We decided to eat the rest of our food in the truck.We said our goodbyes and headed out the door.

On the way home, Greg was quite, so much so that I finally had to ask him if he was okay.
"No, Im fine,but I got one question for you.Do your woodcutting days always go this way?"

I thought on that for a bit, then replied, "Nope, sometimes things go really wrong and the whole day just goes to hell."

tell ya one thing--the way things go for you sometimes---there aint no doubt whatsoever this happened-----i like cats--household--outside,not so much. that being said,you dang clown.you didnt hardly know the lady, and you do that. ever think sometimes you do stuff without thinking ahead???? id enjoy working around ya, but jeez man--glad it came out ok for ya--

I don't think you have to worry about us running Greg off...Sound like you are doing a right fine job...

Avalancher, that was a great story! ( LOL) I can't stop laughing.:cheers:

:cheers:

All of my woodcutting stories would go like, drove truck to where I wanna cut. I cut. I loaded. Drove back and unloaded.

Same ole same ole with nary a catsup packet incident to speak of. (I must be doing it wrong)

Good story buddy.

Has Gregg been back since his grand reveal a couple days ago?

Has Gregg been back since his grand reveal a couple days ago?

I am hoping that he will drop in today sometime, I know he haunts the boards at work,but not so much at home.seems that his wife is rather untaken by the topic.I got an email from him last night, he does a bit of traveling for his job, and is often away from home during the week.Besides, he hasnt had a chance to get addicted to this place yet.

I have been asked several times why I hate cats so much.Its easy.I spent 11 days in the hospital after a cat attack when I was 9 years old.

I have been asked several times why I hate cats so much.Its easy.I spent 11 days in the hospital after a cat attack when I was 9 years old.

Seems you've learned to bite back. Like this guy:

attachment.php

Cat scratch fever?

Nope.
I had my butt kicked in by an 8th grader.Called him a sow for kicking my ball up on the roof of the school and he pasted me good.Blackened both my eyes.
I lived a great deal of my life at my uncles house, they had a mean ole tom cat that lived on a box nailed to the side of the house right by the kitchen window.Aunty loved that cat, and loved to look at him through the window.

Now, i was already sore, pissed, and in general very unhappy.It was my turn to fill the upstairs woodbox.it was cold, snowing, and I had forgotten about the stinking cat.anytime you pass to close to that box by the window, he would reach out and claw you.I knew that,but forgot.

i trudged up the stairs with an armload of wood, passed to close to the box, and old tom reached out and got ahold of me by the neck.Dug right in.In my panic to get him off, I swatted him, and he sunk his teeth into my hand.

Flailing about, I ended up going over the low rail and landed on the woodpile below.Broke three ribs, a wrist, and punctured a lung.Worst part was the whole family thought I was out pouting somewhere about the azzbeating, so they never even sent anyone to go look for me until after dinner, over an hour later.

I hate cats.

Nope.
I had my butt kicked in by an 8th grader.Called him a sow for kicking my ball up on the roof of the school and he pasted me good.Blackened both my eyes.
I lived a great deal of my life at my uncles house, they had a mean ole tom cat that lived on a box nailed to the side of the house right by the kitchen window.Aunty loved that cat, and loved to look at him through the window.

Now, i was already sore, pissed, and in general very unhappy.It was my turn to fill the upstairs woodbox.it was cold, snowing, and I had forgotten about the stinking cat.anytime you pass to close to that box by the window, he would reach out and claw you.I knew that,but forgot.

i trudged up the stairs with an armload of wood, passed to close to the box, and old tom reached out and got ahold of me by the neck.Dug right in.In my panic to get him off, I swatted him, and he sunk his teeth into my hand.

Flailing about, I ended up going over the low rail and landed on the woodpile below.Broke three ribs, a wrist, and punctured a lung.Worst part was the whole family thought I was out pouting somewhere about the azzbeating, so they never even sent anyone to go look for me until after dinner, over an hour later.

I hate cats.

Gawd, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all......

Does anybody read these yarns and get the feeling that "Greg" is a walking stereotype?

Before we headed out, I asked Greg if he wanted a quick cup of coffee before we started the day, he said sure. After watching me dig around in the freezer,I guess curiosity got the best of him. "What are you looking for in the freezer, fresh beans to grind?" I laughed. "Nope, non of that Yuppy fresh ground coffee in this house.I was looking for the ice cream."

Hi! pardon my brashness, but I have been lurking for some time in your very informative website at the advise of one of your members, and I just wanted to introduce myself.
I live in atlanta, and was recently introduced to wood heat for the first time in my life.Prior to a couple of months ago, I had never even run a chainsaw, and now I have my own!I recently purchased a Husqvarna 455 Rancher, and I am very pleased with my purchase.I am working as weather permits to bank up a bit of wood for the winter,I got permission to cut some trees from a fellow worker that had a lot of dead trees that were still standing.Although my wife is not real wild about bringing firewood into our home, she has finally relented and I am having our new woodstove installed at the end of the week.I am so excited,thank you all for great reading so far.

I have been fortunate in this aspect, I have a fairly new friend that has taken the time to show me all the ins and outs of this venture.Although he is a 6 hour drive from me, I drive up there every other weekend and work with him, learning all manner of things.He has shown me the proper way of felling, sharpening my chains, etc.I guess as far as personal protection goes, I guess that is something left up to my own devices, my friend is from the old school as they say, and rarely wears much for protection except for eye and ear guards, and then not all the time.I purchased a husky helmet that has both ear and eye protection, as well as leg guards(you call them chaps, right?)and wear them when I cut.

This guy talks like a cross between a Pilgrim and Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

I can not help but wonder if Greg has revised his LIFE INSURANCE policy after working with AVALANCHER. It never fails I aways seem to read one of avalanchers stories when I am eating, And end up almost choking from laughing too Hard. Then the wife asks whats so darn funny .

Rep for both avalancher and woodheat4me

Beefie

Latest posts

Back