woodin' the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also suggest getting some tow straps they are strong, light, and cheap compared to chain. It is easy to carry 60 or 100 feet of strap. Not so much for chain. They can be used to ad length in between chains or in place of chains all together. If you want to use multiple straps on a pull get a couple shackles. Do not tie them together. They are very hard to get apart. Only down side to them is you can't adjust the length very well like you can with a chain. I carry a 30', a 20', and 2 6' that can be used as a choker or when I need a small length. A come-along can also be handy although they are slow. I carry one but it is usually used for trees with a back lean.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The OP's very first post stated he was short, skinny and not very strong. How is discussing strength off topic???

Please don't confuse Crossfit crap with real strength training. Not the same thing at all.
It just gets betterer and betterer.
Keep going.

The OP's very first post stated he was short, skinny and not very strong. How is discussing strength off topic???

Please don't confuse Crossfit crap with real strength training. Not the same thing at all.

I worked construction for many years, approx 15 years. Always considered myself a pretty strong guy, as did most that worked with me. Always liked being thought of as a "bull". Usually walked around at 185ish lbs at 5'10". Like most I worked out in my late teens early twenties. Stopped going after I got married, had a kid, got divorced, got remarried, had another kid. The whole time I always wanted to get back in the gym. Then in my early thirties I started going again and have been going steady for about 3 years. I made it part of my life/daily routine. I go early in the morning before work and it doesn't interfere with family time as they are sleeping then. Its a great stress reliever and I really enjoy it. I currently walk around at 210 lbs. and am considerably stronger than I ever was when I worked construction. My strength has been documented in a notebook and I am still surprised when I look back.

For those who think lifting heavy barbells isn't equated into "real world strength" are delusional. If you can deadlift 600 lbs, squat 495, bench in the mid 300's, overhead press your bodyweight, what "real world" tasks are going to give you trouble. I cant think of any. Mix in some cardio for heart health and conditioning and you'll be healthier than 95% of people who work physical jobs. Most of these jobs are doing repetitive motion movements all day long, not building general brute strength. I've done both.

Yea but I don't want to do that. I want to come home crack open a beer make dinner and do whatever work I need to do at home. I spent about 10 years in the gym when I was younger I'm over it. Yea I still wake up early 3 days a week and ride the exercise bike. It keeps my knees from hurting but I don't enjoy it. I lift a few weights too but nothing crazy. There's no gym near here and there's no time to hit one nor do I want to.

The advice was for the OP, not you Mustang. Keep in mind he is likely around your height, but also likely 30 or 40 lbs. lighter.

People can do whatever makes them happy. Play a guitar, ride a motorcycle, go hiking, go fishing, fly a kite in a lightning storm, drink till you throw up, stick a needle in your arm, I really could a give flying **** what anyone else does that isn't close to me. I personally enjoy the exercise, and it has health benefits that most "hobbies" don't have. To each there own. I give up on this one.

Now see that's y I like splitting wood by hand. Productive exercise.

Don't get me wrong I'm not lazy i cant stand lazy. I sit down every night around 9 to finally relax and usually fall asleep an hour or so later.
Precisely!!! Why would you pay someone to exercise in their gym when you can have your exercise pay you or at least save you money.

Tip for op:

There are a lot of good heavy duty hand wagons out there for very reasonable prices. Think of a "Radio flyer for big boys". TSC has some for pretty close to 100 dollars that are expanded metal and would haul wood from the cutting site to your truck much easier than a wheel barrow.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Check CraigsList in your area.
You might run across something that could work for you.
I bought a cheap trailer once, with wheel barrow tires on it. Had it for a couple years, behind a lawn tractor (no mower deck), when the kids were 12 or so. They used it a lot. Our youngest son could back a trailer very well at that age. It sat for years unused and one day I gave it to the neighbor after that. He collected/traded junk. He was happy, and I was happy to get rid of it.

Whole year since I started this thread and things are looking up. Was able to pick up a new splitter and that really helped cut back time. Found a few places that let me go in and clear out some trees as well that were close to home and easily accessible with the truck. Up to around 16+ cords 12 of which are split and stacked and another 4ish I'm leaving in 8' lengths for the time being. Happy with what I got done this year with the very little time I had to put in.

Attachments

• 20181017_183729.jpg
    20181017_183729.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
Had to go back to the beginning but I'm glad you got some equipment to help out and a supply of wood. Hopefully the supply of wood keeps coming in and you can feed that splitter. Sounds like you aren't "woodin the hard way" anymore. Keep the surplus up and all will be well.

Latest posts

Back