Woodland advice. :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Spent the day with my 9 year old pulling dead fall out with our little yt 3600. Lawn tractor. First year with our new woodland. Loads of wood to get, it's been neglected, we'll forever. But I need help. The kids are great, help but I need mechanical help.

Guys, I need a wood machine. So. Quad, Rtv or compact tractor. I pretty much got a go for it from the boss... Aka the wife. But cash is strapped. We have a new home which we have totally renovated, insulated and made our home. Now it's the outsides turn. I am now wood dependant for heat an hot water . Have a wood gasification boiler and 2000l of storage. ( thread will come once I am finished install to my standards) It is the wood gathering that I need help with. Our lot is not flat and has a lot of boggy areas. I intend to drain etc, but want to spend my cash wisely. So quad, Rtv or tractor. And why

Current thought are compact with bucket and back actor. But, am I being wise?

Steve

you will get a great used tractor with front loader for way way less that an rtv and it will be much tougher longterm for skidding wood...

Make sure you get 4 wheel drive. We have a kawasaki mule that works great. You can pull a splitter into the woods with it. We have tractors with loaders , but they are not cheap and we need them for other things. Don't think I would buy one just for wood gathering. Get a used mule. The wife and kid can drive it too.

I never pull large logs out. Cut to firewood length and haul out. The mule has a bigger payload ( with 2x 10 boards on it) than are tractor loaders. Plus the mule will go places the tractor won't go safely. Tractors are nice if you can use them for other things to justify the cost.

I normally use my skidsteer because it is so handy and has different attachments. I have a Nuffield 425 tractor with a loaded(FEL) that I use if its too muddy for my skid steer. They aren't well known in the USA, so I got mine cheap. Its the one in my avitar. Differential lock is nice, as is its low stance and 5 foot width.

Log arch and ATV might be the way to go with the size land you have. Good 4x4 compact tractors in my area of the US can be had for $10,000 for a front end loader (FEL) with 25-30 hp and maybe a rear brush hog mower if your lucky. Add another 5K for one with the rear bucket to dig ditches with. An ATV is way cheaper.

Make sure you get 4 wheel drive. We have a kawasaki mule that works great. You can pull a splitter into the woods with it. We have tractors with loaders , but they are not cheap and we need them for other things. Don't think I would buy one just for wood gathering. Get a used mule. The wife and kid can drive it too.

I have a mule here as well, diesel model, the big one, fold up back seat, etc.. You have used yours a lot more than me, so a question..can you really go through deep mud with one, similar to a tractor, and still haul out a half ton in it? Those things have not much for ground clearance. I have only taken this one in maybe six inch deep mud, not a foot or foot and a half. (bawk bawk bawk, I am chicken) The tractor I use the most is pretty good about hauling stuff through mud about that deep (max) with the tote box on it and raised up high.

Just asking because those mules and other UTVs are crazy high expensive, and just don't know if they would be as good a deal as a used tractor for similar loot.

I have a mule here as well, diesel model, the big one, fold up back seat, etc.. You have used yours a lot more than me, so a question..can you really go through deep mud with one, similar to a tractor, and still haul out a half ton in it? Those things have not much for ground clearance. I have only taken this one in maybe six inch deep mud, not a foot or foot and a half. (bawk bawk bawk, I am chicken) The tractor I use the most is pretty good about hauling stuff through mud about that deep (max) with the tote box on it and raised up high.

Just asking because those mules and other UTVs are crazy high expensive, and just don't know if they would be as good a deal as a used tractor for similar loot.
Never went through deep mud with my mule or tractors. I never needed to. I wait until it dries up or the ground freezes. Not sure what size tractors you guys are talking but they are not cheap by me. And if they are they would be junk. Our mule is about 15 years old and still operates like new. I'm guessing it's worth $4 thousand. Not sure what 4x4 power steering, tractor with a loader you could get for that. Hey, if money isn't an issue get a tractor. If you want a wood hauler and something your whole family can enjoy driving around your property a mule would be my choice.

I have a tractor with 3 pt dump bed that i use to gather firewood. Downside of the tractor on uneven ground is they can tip. I've never done it, but I have been in uncomfortable situations. But if your moving 5 cords or so a year, then it sure makes work easy. I've often thought about a UTV, but they are a bit pricey. The UTV may cause a couple more trips, but they should be pretty easy trips. I also have an ATV, that I've used with a trailer, but no brakes on the trailer can put you into uncomfortable situations downhill as well.

I'm guessing a 25 hp Nuffield/Leyland could be found in the UK for less than $2000. They are similar to the Ford 8N tractors in the states. I paid $400 with the loader, so they are out there. It doesn't have 4x4, but it gets around decent with out it.

Never went through deep mud with my mule or tractors. I never needed to. I wait until it dries up or the ground freezes. Not sure what size tractors you guys are talking but they are not cheap by me. And if they are they would be junk. Our mule is about 15 years old and still operates like new. I'm guessing it's worth $4 thousand. Not sure what 4x4 power steering, tractor with a loader you could get for that. Hey, if money isn't an issue get a tractor. If you want a wood hauler and something your whole family can enjoy driving around your property a mule would be my choice.

We only have a small window late summer/early fall the ground is hard enough to drive around where any trees are to get wood. Mud city down here man.

I didn't buy it, my boss bought the mule, but I think he dropped around 13 grand on it, which would buy a decent used tractor around here, something with multiple uses, rototiller for a big garden, hauling wood, bush hogging, etc.

The tractor I use the most is a deutz 60 horse 2wd, no fluid weight in the wheels. The 90 horse deutz 2wd with FEL has fluid in the wheels but the loader makes it still not go in the mud as good. The 60 goes better in the mud than the smaller, not sure what size, around a 30 horse 'bota with 4wd, but not as good as the around 100 horse JD 4wd. It's all about ground clearance here, near as I can tell, sink in to the belly or frame, you are slowing down or getting stuck, and then it takes tracks to get anything out. (been there, done that, several times...)

I guess...I'd have to recommend some sort of smaller real tractor, just for all the accessories that would make it useful on a small homestead, and most likely better ability to traverse deep mud or snow if this will be an issue for the OP.

As to women driving something, my granny GF drives the tractors once in awhile, I haven't seen any tractors that are hard to operate yet if you can operate a clutch or some levers.

The mule sits here, maybe eventually I'll come up with a use for it. (Like I said, boss bought it, he didn't ask me, he just impulse buys stuff sometimes..there must be a 100-200 grand worth of stuff sitting around here he bought and I have never seen used...old rich eccentric guy) If I load saws and stuff in the mule, no room for wood, and it can't haul near as much as the tractor tote box.

Best buy is a used ATV. This Honda Foreman 400 with a welded trailer (Subaru axle) has pulled out
close to 55 cords of firewood for years. Good used ATVs go for $3-5000. in Northern Maine.
We also buck the tree, hump into the trailer, stack the butts. Sometimes skid, but the ATV can't do anything
like a real tractor. Tractor hydraulics, like skidders and 'real' woods gear take a lot of care. This Honda has had
nothing break....yet.

Latest posts

Back