woodland pro chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Carlson

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just been looking for chains and found these woodland pro chains on Bailey's website. Around my area you have stihl or Oregon chains. Like both but curious how these woodland pros workout. Like the Oregon but don't seem to hold a good edge in hardwood very long. Anyone with info on these woodland pro chains is appreciated. Brian

I have used them in the past without complaint and would use them again, but their shipping costs preclude that from happening.

I like them. I used to use then exclusively.

Very similar to Carlton (might even be rebadged Carlton)

Carlton is the only stuff I use now, because I can get it cheaper.

Good Stuff,

I find it harder than Oregon but a little easier to file than Stihl.

I usually wait for a free shipping offer and stock up on stuff from Baileys.

Yea the shipping scares we away unless I buy in bulk to make it worth while

Only you can decide,

Woodland Pro will make chips, and hold an edge fairly well, (as with any chain cleanliness of the wood is huge). From what I've observed in use, it is not as smooth as Stihl or Oregon in the kerf, and you'll feel a lot more chatter especially on bars 24 inch and longer.

Suggest you buy a couple loops and see how you like it.

Take Care

Woodland pro chains=Yes purchased 4 of them about 2 years ago. My Husky 51 and my Husky 445 with 16BC. I have not had any issues with them. Seem to hold a edge better than Oregon but that is JMO. I was cutting Mesquite, Oak and Pecan with them. 28RS I believe was the specific number. Ken

Just been looking for chains and found these woodland pro chains on Bailey's website. Around my area you have stihl or Oregon chains. Like both but curious how these woodland pros workout. Like the Oregon but don't seem to hold a good edge in hardwood very long. Anyone with info on these woodland pro chains is appreciated. Brian
Used them, their chisel chains, for 4 years now! Cut a lot of wood with them! They work just fine!! Price is right!

Woodland Pro does not have the anti=vibe tie strap like Oregon and Stihl. Lacking this feature makes it less smooth.

I haven't noticed any problem from the chain vibration. I think a lot of that is how uneven the stuff is sharpened new.

Well just ordered 2 loops. Going to give them a try. Thanks for your input guys.

I like it, but like most I know locally and here , nothing beats Stihl chain other then in price.
I use woodland mostly in semi chisel quite a bit. If your doing fire wood or another low income type work I'd say the woodland makes good sense if you want a few more dollars left for profit after a few cords of wood. High production work that nets larger amounts of money consistently is probably well worth the extra cost of Stihl chain if it is available as needed.
I buy and use as much Stihl RM chain as I can find for a few to several dollars cheaper then list price, usually on the internet. Other then that I look for buys on chain made in USA and Canada, often new old stock, usually the quality isn't far behind. Some is softer but it seems to hold an edge until you run into foreign matter to wood much the same as Stihl chain. I find usually Stihl chain takes just a bit more to dull or stretch but doesn't file as easy as most the others either. Most of what I buy new from dealers is Woodland pro (Carlton) . I think out of the box sharpness isn't as good as some others, but the first time I sharpen usually more then takes care of that. If you or who ever sharpens your chains doesn't know how or take the few x-tra minutes of time to make an aggressive chain, you may do better with something sharper out of the box.
The way it works for me, I use several different sizes and gauges of chain on many saws and I try to stay ahead on chain. Have about thousand dollars worth in the garage. If it were all Stihl I would have near $2000 tied up in chain but what I have and use doesn't make me feel handicapped.
Some of the reduced kick back features are harder to deal with then others which I try to avoid those unless dirt cheap or a given.
I don't trust China made chain and have had some NK woodland that seemed brittle years ago. In the old days had some chain labled Zip Pen that seemed junk . With any brand you can get a bad run on chains I believe and it seems to me some brands quality has varied the last 30 years. Stihl has been easily the most consistent IMO.

Latest posts

Back