Woods port or bigger saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was cutting on a recently (about a month or so) downed oak for firewood using my 970 (71cc) with a 24” bar with new skip and full comp chain. I don’t know the exact diameter of the oak, but the bar was barely long enough to make one cut through, so basically the bar was buried. It seems that I’m coming across a few trees of this size, and would like to cut them up faster. I still have a lot left to cut on the tree that I first mentioned, and since I started near the top, it’s steady getting bigger. The skip did better than the full comp chain, but not by a huge margin. The 970 is great with a 20” bar in 16” - 18” wood, but in bigger wood with the 24” bar – I would like more power. It’s like my muffler modded MS260 – it will pull a 20” bar (which I did do before I knew better), but it loves a 16” bar a lot better.
So for future considerations (when funds allow) would a woods port to my 970 be enough to make more power for the 24” bar? I had posted here about doing my own muffler mod to the 970, but I’ve decided to get it done properly (additional port with a deflector shield made and welded to the muffler). Or move up to a 85cc or bigger saw? Saws I have looked into are the Stihl 064 and the Husqvarna 288XP. I know these are older saws, but it’s the money thing. Would love a 660 or 385XP or 395XP – but not financially possible. Before I found my 970, I did have a chance at a 394XP for next to nothing (that I believe needed a piston and cylinder), but at the time I thought it would have been waaaay to much saw – not now!!!:bang:
I’d be looking in pawn shops and the local papers for a saw that might need some TLC. Hoping to sell a few full cords of firewood to help fund whatever I decide to do later. I still consider myself a rookie and am always wanting/willing to learn. So what’s y’alls comments or suggestions.

Kevin

for your situation I would say; go with the 288. YOu need more power and a tougher saw for this kind of wood. porting is great if you need the power with out the weight or if you just need a little more, however it is not going to replace more displacement. Your money would be better spent on a bigger saw and then look at having it modified if you want it. I would definately go with the 288xp, great saw.

Yes a bigger saw is a better choice

Outside of a muffler mod any other work does accelerate wear even though it's alot of fun. What budget are you looking at?

klickitatsacket said:
for your situation I would say; go with the 288. YOu need more power and a tougher saw for this kind of wood. porting is great if you need the power with out the weight or if you just need a little more, however it is not going to replace more displacement. Your money would be better spent on a bigger saw and then look at having it modified if you want it. I would definately go with the 288xp, great saw.

I was thinking porting for money and practical reasons, but your reasoning makes good sense. Thanks. You could have tried to steer me toward a woods port for business purposes, but I believe you gave me the right info for my situation. Again, thanks.
Even though I would like another Stihl some day, I have also read a lot of good things about the 288XP.

Kevin

PEST said:
Outside of a muffler mod any other work does accelerate wear even though it's alot of fun. What budget are you looking at?

As I already stated, when funds allow, I would like to be under $350. Not sure if that's realistic for a 288XP or not. If I'm off on that price, someone correct me.

Kevin

That is enough of a budget

I'll let the sponsers take a crack then we can talk.
I am to new here and the big kahuna wan't anser my PMs yet about becoming a sponser. I can understand why in this type of business

PEST said:
I am to new here and the big kahuna wan't anser my PMs yet about becoming a sponser. I can understand why in this type of business

Thanks for the interest, but I don't have the money 'in-hand' yet. I've got other stuff to look after first - rear brakes and an electric brake controller for the truck. BUT, if there's an absolute 'steal-of-a-deal' to be had, priorities could be adjusted...:D

Kevin

klickitatsacket said:

Let's hear it for an honest businessman!!!:cheers:

There is no replacement for displacement, but you can let Dean make that displacement just a "bit" better for you.

Big logs need big power. You need a 90cc class saw to do what you want, Dean is right on the money. 288/395/066. I'm emotionally attached to my 066, and use it more than I should...but it has actually edged out the SXL for my favorite saw.

I'd rep you for that one Dean, but I'm dead on you. You are a good man.

Mark

PEST, always good to find out about how to go about buying and selling here on AS - in regards to the site sponsors. Good on ya for looking into that info.

Kevin

klickitatsacket said:

Good post Dean. :cheers: :bowdown:

PEST said:

Jennifer sent you some information yesterday. Hopefully you got it.

Latest posts

Back