woods port saw video thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No real secrets to building a good running hybrid.
Intake at 79-80. Keep your exhaust and intake durations close to the same and 22*-24* of BD.
Keep your transfer tunnels as tight as you can.
Open your lower transfers up slightly.

This is what I do anyway. Your mileage may vary

No real secrets to building a good running hybrid.
Intake at 79-80. Keep your exhaust and intake durations close to the same and 22*-24* of BD.
Keep your transfer tunnels as tight as you can.
Open your lower transfers up slightly.

This is what I do anyway. Your mileage may vary

What do you mean by keep your transfer tunnels as tight as you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by keep your transfer tunnels as tight as you can?

Keep the space between the bridge and the back of the tunnel narrow. Don't open the uppers any more then you have to. Focus on the direction of the fresh charge more then flow volume.
IMO opening the lowers helps to add some volume but by keeping the tunnels and upper transfer ports small and tight it maintains the fresh charge velocity.

I wonder how close my 460 and your hybrid would be with the same 25-28". Yours has more rpm, But looks close in power

I ran deets066 hybrid against my 460, which is pretty strong, and his beat mine up to a 28" bar. And the weird thing to me was his saw was strongest even with the 28" bar, tuned to 15,800!

Keep the space between the bridge and the back of the tunnel narrow. Don't open the uppers any more then you have to. Focus on the direction of the fresh charge more then flow volume.
IMO opening the lowers helps to add some volume but by keeping the tunnels and upper transfer ports small and tight it maintains the fresh charge velocity.

Didn't Deets epoxy his lowers Mike? And if I remember correctly his had stock transfers???

Didn't Deets epoxy his lowers Mike? And if I remember correctly his had stock transfers???

Yup. I believe he did. Iirc he blended the lower lip with epoxy rather then grinding it out and blending it. Other then that his transfers and stock. I think that after the chamber and base were cut his numbers landed right where he wanted. No need to change them

For what its worth ,i had a modded cylinder on a 460 ,took the same cylinder off and put it on the 440 ,the same jug felt more hotrod like on the 440 ,spooled quicker and revved higher ,but the 460 case i could lean on a little harder without bog ,i would rather run the 440 case though ,good all around work saw .

I ran deets066 hybrid against my 460, which is pretty strong, and his beat mine up to a 28" bar. And the weird thing to me was his saw was strongest even with the 28" bar, tuned to 15,800!

About what rpm does yours feel strongest? I've run mine on the leaner side of the tune last couple times cut with a 25"

Back when we did the 460 build off, the saw I built was very disappointing at first. I degreed the cylinder on my hybrid and found that it has only 14-16 degrees of blowdown. That's how that cylinder came from the factory. I put those numbers in the 460. It woke up big time. Several others did the same and got the same results. All I can tell you is my experience.

You know how guys rave about the early square combustion chamber 046 cylinders? You know why they run so well? They're the ones with the short blowdown.

Here's my hybrid wearing a 28" bar and running Stihl 33RS chain, cutting Oak. I don't have my numbers in front of me, but I think it's only 14 of BD. It's . It makes crazy RPMs and has lots of grunt to go with it.

This is the same saw, 6 years later, in Ash.

Here it is in frozen Maple, IIRC. Start a 2:10.

Back when we did the 460 build off, the saw I built was very disappointing at first. I degreed the cylinder on my hybrid and found that it has only 14-16 degrees of blowdown. That's how that cylinder came from the factory. I put those numbers in the 460. It woke up big time. Several others did the same and got the same results. All I can tell you is my experience.

You know how guys rave about the early square combustion chamber 046 cylinders? You know why they run so well? They're the ones with the short blowdown.

Here's my hybrid wearing a 28" bar and running Stihl 33RS chain, cutting Oak. I don't have my numbers in front of me, but I think it's only 14 of BD. It's . It makes crazy RPMs and has lots of grunt to go with it.

Brad does yours have a lot of intake duration?
I think it's awesome that strong saws can be made different ways!!

You're the one I wanted an opinion from. Interesting, though I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'm missing something in how I'm reading it, I think.

I built a 460 with a hemi chamber that will beat all the D jugs I've done. 15* Of blowdown.

On a hybrid, I don't think I'll raise them as much.

I postulate that is why you beat everyone with a popup in that meet. You understood what you were doing and took advantage of what the factory gave you.

Back