Woodshed floor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkeatr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IM building a new woodshed, my old woodshed has a 4-6 inch layer of crushed stone on the base,but i found that it filled up with wood fiber, chips, bark much faster than i thought. I know this is a bit anal retentive ( to have a floor like this in a woodshed) but we live in a tropical rainforest here in upstate NY..its nice to have a dry floor to stack wood on. Besides pallets, does anyone have any other ideas that are cost effective. I suppose i could try to burn off the wood fiber every few years with small controlled burns...but thats risky. thanks barkeatr

Concrete pavers bedded in sand, old (free) bricks, flat field stone, etc.

Lots of ways to skin your cat.

Shed floor

Before stacking any wood lay some landscape fabric down. In the spring just pull the fabric up and dump off the debris and reinstall.

I can't help much. After looking around for a while myself I ended up going with the old dirt / pallet approach. So far it has worked quite well. You have to be careful walking around but it works.

Since I was a kid all I ever knew was a dirt floor in a fully enclosed building. bark and other debree was allowed to just buildup and collect any moisture that might seep up fron the floor. Of course over the years that build up could get pretty deep. when that happened we just used a garden fork to pitch it the wood chipper and spread it in the garden as mulch to finish breaking down.
My present shed is a 10x20 section in oneside of the pole barn dirt floor. I never bother stacking it as air can circulate thru the pile if there ever was any air movement. wood really drys quick in that hot barn duringthe summer.

:D Al

My 24' x 32' shed has a dirt floor. I use two 2" x 4" on edge and cleated 15" outside to outside. As the wood is used they are hung on the wall out of the way making the next row easily accessable.
The ends are 4" x 4" treated buried in the ground.

well what did ya choose? wheres the pics? come on post them up....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

..My present shed is a 10x20 section in oneside of the pole barn dirt floor. I never bother stacking it as air can circulate thru the pile if there ever was any air movement. wood really drys quick in that hot barn duringthe summer.

:D Al
Similar situation in my shed, but with a concrete floor. I never bother stacking wood; I just toss it into the 10x20 section of my shed, and sweet mama, does it get hot in there! We have scorching hot summers here, and never had a problem seasoning any type of wood within 6 months.
I have a window on the side, which enhances the sun heating effect.

well try'd to rep ya but it wont let me for some reason.... nice pics.. next time dont leave us hangin like that the suspense just kills us.....;)

Last edited:
Old decking

After getting motivated this year and tired of dealing with snow covered tarps, I'm building my wood shed. part of the multi-stage project was to reuse the old deck I tore off the house or it was going to the dump. Once the shed was completed, 17X8, I had left over 2x6 decking left over so that is now the floor. I figure I can get a good many years out of it before it rots and then maybe go concrete after that.

day late and a dollar short, but...

each Spring I just pick up the bigger chips/bark, then take the shop vac and suck up the crap/dust from my crushed stone floor

takes about 30 mins or so...including fishing the 30 or 40 stones out of the shop vac when I'm done

nice shed btw...rep for you!

Ya, I guess I missed this thread as well.
I've gone the crushed stone approach with pallets also, maybe this will help you.
Each year before refilling the wood shelter I take the leaf blower and blow out any chips and pieces that lay below. It's not difficult and takes only a few minutes. Once outside the debris get raked up.
Nice shed/workshop. Is the wood storage portion open on 2 or 3 sides?

Back