Woodstove only stays lit with door cracked open

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
With my wood stove it will only stay lit if the door is cracked open. When u close it all the way the fire goes out. Any ideas? It's a hearthstone II stove. And the front glass is always black.

how "hot" is the fire? are you closing the door too early or is this an ongoing problem? Fire going out with the door closed makes me think it is a flue problem unless the fire isn't hot enough to sustain...

Do you hear the wood sizzle while it is trying to burn? Black glass usually means wet wood (not fully seasoned). How hot do you get the stove?

Just a thought, is the draft/burn control wide open. I never choke mine down for those "long" burns, but if ya close it, the fire will definitely drop way down . Just a thought.

- Poor or weak draft due to: wrong diameter flue (too large), flue not tall enough, weak draft due to warm weather, blocked flue/obstructed cap, stove competing for combustion air with other household items (clothes dryer, exhaust fan etc).
- Poor fuel....wet, not seasoned, rotten.
- Problem with stove...blocked air passages, air closed down too much.

does it have the interior damper? maybe it's not opening or you are closing it too soon?
I had the same stove years back and never had any problems with mine.

Lots of good points so far.

Do you mind if I ask how old is your house? Extremely airtight? Does it act the same if you crack a window about an inch?

Clean chimney? Inspected for any blockages?

Has to be to warm for a fire in md, I am 800 miles north and still have not lit. And I am dieing too.

We lit our first fire of this season today.

Has been in the fifties and the house was getting towards the mid sixties.

We are about 45 minutes north of the Maryland off I83.

I would go with too warm and or wet wood.

Fire’s not hard too please, needs air and fuel.

My input; first fire of the year, I start it slow with small very dry wood.
Then add more small wood and keep it warm until the whole stove warms up.

After it gets warm I throw in bigger wood that is moon dry.

The key is dry wood, warm stove and cool outside weather

Had a nest in the chimney. Lol. Burning good now. And I live in the mountains of md. Plenty cold snuff for a fire last nite.

Latest posts

Back