Woodstove Repairs???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I noticed today that ive got a pretty good crack on the front of my stove. It comes off the corner of the opening and goes about 2-3 inches across the front of the stove. I have another stove I could move in, but I kinda like the one in here now. What is the best way to repair cast??? Is there a product any of you know of??? :cheers:

JB weld! just goop some on there! Just kidding... I read in the welding rod thread that you can weld castiron with nickel rods. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your questions better than I. good luck

The best way for an untrained person to fix cast is to take it to a experienced or qualified welder and ask them to weld it for you. Welding cast is not easy and requires a good preheating of the weld area not to mention a slow cool down.

The best way for an untrained person to fix cast is to take it to a experienced or qualified welder and ask them to weld it for you. Welding cast is not easy and requires a good preheating of the weld area not to mention a slow cool down.

yeah, i know what it takes to weld cast. that is why i want a quick fix. i dont want to drag this stove out of my house and take it to my boss' shop to weld it.

Well I don't know of any other quick fixes. I personally would not be worried about it unless it's spreading or letting smoke and or flames out of the box.

Oh Yeah!
+1

There probly is a high temp repair material you can buy. have had the same thing with mine but it is steel, i welded it once but is cracking again. let me know if you find something

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running, "V" it out a little bit and Braze it with gas welding torch...use flux

In our local auto parts store there is this "stuff" that is used to fix cracks on vehicle exaust manifolds and exaust pipe. It is supposed to withstand the high temps. we use it on our tractors when the manifold gets a crack or rusts through on a spot, and also used it to seal up a crack on the bottom of a tractor stack where it had also cracked/split.

Its in the same style packaging as the JB weld but a large tube-almost tooth paste size tube.

good luck

You can braze cast iron, but you have to use a large tip and preheat the entire area thoruoghly for it to hold. When I was still turning wrenches in the chevy dealer, I repaired cylinder head cracks on 2 occasions this way and a cracked block. I've also brazed forward control mounts on harley frames before without problems. (But you still gotta drag it out of the house, sorry!)

You can braze cast iron, but you have to use a large tip and preheat the entire area thoruoghly for it to hold. When I was still turning wrenches in the chevy dealer, I repaired cylinder head cracks on 2 occasions this way and a cracked block. I've also brazed forward control mounts on harley frames before without problems. (But you still gotta drag it out of the house, sorry!)

maybe:jawdrop:

maybe:jawdrop:

It really isn't the brazing or even the pre-heat that makes this so difficult but the post-heat and long cool down. We used to cool things over a 24 hour period while buried in powdered lime.

I wonder if it couldn't be done with this stove if it had a fire in it. Would be a :censored: (You thought I was going to say bi**h didn't you?) to get near enough to braze it but the pre & post heat as well as the slow cool down would be taken care of quite well by the fire during normal operation.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Lmao

"
I wonder if it couldn't be done with this stove if it had a fire in it. Would be a (You thought I was going to say bi**h didn't you?) to get near enough to braze it but the pre & post heat as well as the slow cool down would be taken care of quite well by the fire during normal operation."

Thats greenlight thinking Gordie! I'd pay to watch that.

It really isn't the brazing or even the pre-heat that makes this so difficult but the post-heat and long cool down. We used to cool things over a 24 hour period while buried in powdered lime.

I wonder if it couldn't be done with this stove if it had a fire in it. Would be a :censored: (You thought I was going to say bi**h didn't you?) to get near enough to braze it but the pre & post heat as well as the slow cool down would be taken care of quite well by the fire during normal operation.

Just a thought.

That almost sounds like a challenge.:chainsaw: :clap:

load the stove with wood, get it hot, and when it starts to cool down, start the brazing??!!

That almost sounds like a challenge.:chainsaw: :clap:

load the stove with wood, get it hot, and when it starts to cool down, start the brazing??!!

I can't braze to save my soul for some reason so that lucky fella couldn't be me on my best day.
Whomever tries something like this please don't blame me! I challenged no one.
(Bet that disclaimer don't get me off the hook -- Better phone my lawyer LOL)

Cast iron brazes, no matter how well done or expert never hold for long.....we've tried it before on wood stoves. The cast iron is soft and diffuse, the brazed weld is harder, however expertly done. Over a short time the cast and weld expand at different rates. Crack expands. Past experiences.

Solutions:
1. Have the plate re-cast: expensive.
2. Patch the crack ,if not too wide and long, with high temp ( Red) silicone or
furnace cement. This is a temp repair.
3. Fasten steel plate -bolts-to the cast iron plate, gobbed with cement. This has worked, is ugly, but cheap,. simple, effective to a stove that you can't or don't want to move.:cheers:
4. Try the Willy Welder braze: it may, may hold for a few burns.:dizzy:

Bronze starts to weaken about 500 F. so it is a bit iffy on a stove. Likely there is some chronic metal distortion going on and even a good weld with Ni Rod might not do the trick for long. Is it an all cast stove or a cast door frame on a steel plate stove? Is there maybe a chance to get drill and stove bolt a reinforcing piece on from behind. A bolted connection has some give and might be an option.

Bronze starts to weaken about 500 F. so it is a bit iffy on a stove. Likely there is some chronic metal distortion going on and even a good weld with Ni Rod might not do the trick for long. Is it an all cast stove or a cast door frame on a steel plate stove? Is there maybe a chance to get drill and stove bolt a reinforcing piece on from behind. A bolted connection has some give and might be an option.

3. Fasten steel plate -bolts-to the cast iron plate, gobbed with cement. This has worked, is ugly, but cheap,. simple, effective to a stove that you can't or don't want to move.:cheers:

So I says to the guy wanting to know how to patch cast.........................:confused: :confused: :confused:
Maybe it's a Canadian thing, eh ?:cheers:

They make stick electrodes for cast, as well as wire. . . . I have a 40lb roll sitting in the shed.

Back