woodworking question-burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I apologize if this is aimed at the wrong thread, but I like you guys' opinions. While I don't have my mill YET, i do have some maple, cherry and alder burls from removals I've done recently. They all seem solid. Basically, I'm long on materials and drive, but short on creativity so I'm asking if anyone has ideas of what to do with these things using some basic shop tools(table saw, bandsaw, skill saw). They range in size from grapefruit to basketball. I do have a friend with a large lathe and she may turn a few. Any ideas?

I turn all my burls into vases, platters, and wall hangings. I have a few pieces cut and stickered but they need a couple more years of drying. The size of a basket ball is worth good dollars.

Turners (lathe) make the most impressive use of burls in my opinion, but I have seen some nice small ornamental stuff, like jewelry boxes and such. Obviously since burls are generally not that large, unless you peel it (burl veneer) it is usually used on small things like boxes, bowls, goblets, candle holders... small things that really show off the unique grain.

I have only ever turned burls.

I actually have quite a few spruce/balsam burls on trees up at the wood lot

attachment.php

Here is a plant bowl I turned from one. I have a ton of these put away that some day I will get to..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice turnings Mike! I have never turned a bowl or vase but I hope to try my hand at it in the near future.

Mike I like the avatar. He's happy. That is the burliest tree I've ever seen. Great bowl, looks like it got it all. I've got burls laying around everywhere. I got a cherry burl thats 2'x16"s. Can't wait to do something with that.

Back