Woopie Sling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has any one used the adjustable woopie sling to rig a false crotch using a carbiner? What do you do with the adjustable end ? tie a knot?

A whoopie would work great for a false crotch. You can girth/cow hitch the sling to the tree, and just hang a carabiner from that. You shouldn't have to tie any knots. Adjust to your desired size, and hang it. I guess you could tie a knot if there is a long tail getting in the way of things.

What are you using this for...rigging, climbing, or other?

love
nick

medium to light lowering. The bull rope slides threw the caribiner nice. I was just wondering why the adjustable end does not pull threw when force is applied?

Friction rope to rope. often described as the "Chinese finger cuffs".

As the weave of the cover section elongates it compresses on the core section of the splice.

I would use a girth hitch (wich is the same thing as what you use on a porty) If the tail was in the way, then wrap it like a timber hitch, but it isn't neccessary.

It works like a chinese finger trap, it closes the hollow core and it grips the tail end. They are easy as heck to make, you can get the rope out of sherril's for 1.70 a foot if you buy 100', which is much cheaper than buying them already made.

Carl

I girth or basket hitch my 1/2'' loopie and carabiner. We use a whoopie but it stays on the ground for the porty. IMO a loopie is better for work in the tree.

HAVE BEEN USING ONE FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS. THEY WORK GREAT LIKE OTHERS HAVE STATED WORK ON SAME PRINCIPLE AS CHINISE FINGER CUFFS HAVE NOT HAD ANY FAILURE OR SLIPPIAGE, AND HAVE TAKEN DOWN SOME GOOD SIZE PICES .
I USE A PULLY ON MINE AND RIG A PULLY AT BASE TO DIRECT STRAIGHT DOWN THEY ARE VERY EASY TO RESET ALSO JUST LOOSEN AND LOWER THEN RESINCH.

Back