Worker injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that too, also sounded like it was all natural crotch rigging. And the big top limbs for trimming? top job?

dosen't matter, a family lost someone. A customer had a man killed on thier property.

Say a little prayer for them.

Anyone in that area that could finnish the job after it's been investigated?

if you see a crew removing a tree wouldn't common sense tell you to keep away??? How was he allowed in the drop zone? Where there any cones put out around the parameters?

Oh, but I jog this route EVERY DAY! Those signs and lil orange cones are to keep OTHER people out. I NEED to go down this sidewalk, so those signs don't apply to ME!!!!!!!

I had someone tell me she was going to sue my company because she fell off her bike when riding it around our sidewalk sign and the pedal clipped it. I proceeded to tell her to PLEASE go ahead, and she was ignorant for thinking the sign didn't apply to HER!:angry:

I know a gray haired, slightly balding gent who refers to these people as "cone heads"

eww, am i going to get anymore work from him after that description?:eek:

a while ago we were pulling over a big poplar stick into the street. i had a pull line attached to my chipper winch. i had cones out and 2 men to stop cars.(it was a quiet street) i was on the winch and another guy was making the back cut. a car blew past my guys running over the cones. he was about 10 feet past when the stick landed in the street. after seeing that i now block the street with a truck when making cuts like that.

"At 9:30 AM Saturday Bourque had climbed high into a tree using a special belt, a support line, and climbing spikes, when a limb he cut accidentally struck another limb. This caused Bourque's support line to become tangled and threw him up against the tree, officials said."

can people really be that stupid??? If someone blows through cones or doesn't heed warning of danger I feel they give up any compensation rights that they feel is just after an accident in which they placed themselves in harms way!!!!

Originally posted by treeman82

There were 1,800 major injuries in the arboculture industry between 1990 and 1996, and 4,800 additional injuries that forced workers off the job for at least three days, according to Tree Work Accidents, published by Health and Safety Executive. The researchers also found massive underreporting of non-fatal workplace injuries in the arboculture industry, estimating that it may be as high as 75 percent for employees and at least 90 percent for self-employed workers.

Who are they??

Does anyone have a link??

Knife

Whats happening in Greenville thats 3 tree accidents I've seen on this board.

I carry a Spyderco Orange( i hate losing knives).The knife needs to be acessable and be able to be opened one handed.
How much time did he have while still consious...we may never know.
At the moment though I dont carry my knife while Spiking as it is in my Handsaw scabbard....which I mostly dont use when demolishing trees....so it could have been me if it was a removal!
I am now thinking that I need to carry my knife at all times!!

Rob, there were 2 accidents down south which I believe were posted by Dave? The third one where the guy was pinned in the tree was up by me.

Don't get me wrong-I hope it NEVER happens to any of us- but it seems to me that dropping a tree on a "cone blower" OUGHT to be considered a service to society-cleansing of the gene pool.

Originally posted by jhr
if you see a crew removing a tree wouldn't common sense tell you to keep away???

I'm afraid common sense isn't all that common. Even if you put up cones, signs, tape etc, there will always be someone who will walk right through the lot. I was crown cleaning a large sycamore a few yards down the drive to a house. We'd put cones and tree work signs at the gates and further down the drive. I'd cut out a crossing branch and was handling it ready to drop it when I noticed an old bloke directly under me. He lived over the road, had seen us working and had walked through all the signs and cones to ask us if we'd stop work and come over to his house to climb up on his roof to adjust his aerial...for £10!!

strange things happen. a few weeks ago we were removing a small tree in front of a house and we had brush all over the side walk. i noticed a blind man with a walking stick. walking towards our pile on the side walk. i ran over to him and spoke to him, grabbed him by the arm and guided him into the street around our pile, then back on the side walk. cones and sign's would not have helped him.

In many municipalities it is illigal to close a road without a permit. Cone placement is for warning purposes, a "flagman" is often required.

Some of our smaller muni's will send a squad out for short durations if it is needed to drop a tree in the street. Others require barracades and prior posting and permiting that could cost over $200.

Cones and brush on sidewalks may hold up to "reasonable person" arguments in court. But we need to be aware of regulations, we may be legaly required to have dedicated human intervention at all times if working over public "right of way".

Yep JP that could get entangled and take 10 days advance notice! Though the city boyz move pretty freely (whenst they do!).

Wow, a blind guy, never thought of that one, i do tell the guys to watch out for tricycles and skateboards though!

i'm not saying that all city crews are 'sleepers'; but wee sure got our share; i know-guys point it out! Sooooooooooooo; ya know why they got "Men Working" signs?

A.-So you can tell what they are doing!!!!!

I was plowing snow years ago and had the sidewalk coverred with a big pile of wake. Just as a blind man came walking up the sidewalk, a police car was driving by. The cop saw what was happening and jumped out of her car just in time to guide the man around the walk. Kinda magical.. like it had been choreographed.
God Bless,
Daniel

Latest posts

Back