Working alone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cutting solo for almost 40 years. I still don't like it but don't have much of a choice. Every time I am getting dressed to go I think about the possibles. Wife knows where I am, the cell phone is on my belt and turned on, first aid available but in the truck so likely not of much use. Do carry a couple pads and a rawhide whang. Mostly comfortable working alone while limbing/bucking but falling is a different story. Get very nervous just thinking about it and the more problems, the more nervous I am. I have one to come down this weekend, a little (maybe 18" dbh) with the top broke and sloping to the ground from about 20ft up. That one bugs me as I can see no lean to help, the prop will cause wierd things to happen, etc. I would leave it but the next one is around 30" dbh and 70 ft tall which will go right on top of that small one. That one also bugs me as it only has a slight lean and that into the normal wind. I have been stewing over those two for over a month (4 trips) and hate the prospect more each day.

Harry K

fishhuntcutwood said:
I also always carry a fanny pack with a roll of duct tape, and a box of Maxi pads.
Thats one big fanny pack . Seriously i haven't thought of duck tape and maxi pads. I guess when you have a big one you need the big gear . Glad you pointed it out . I was looking at a lot of different first-aid kits and was looking at all the small bandages thinking "ya got to be kidding" This stuff isn't even in the ball park .

Solo Cutting

Much to often. I Have a broken Hard hat and torn up chian saw pants to remind me to NEVER forget the PPE.

Last winter there was this big ol' tree that was needing to come down, danger to our one lane road. I'd recently had a very close call [all my close calls have been in felling]. So close it took me a few days to calm down. But this other tree...I admit I actually laid in bed a few nights thinking about how to do it. And worrying. Finally, I got tired of it and arose before dawn. When it got light, I got out of my truck, alone as usual, and started the saw and walked over to it and didn't stop to think any more, just cut it down. [I'd been up there four times to stand near and look the site over, planning, so I knew how I wanted to do it.] Came down fine, and I got some sleep. Couldn't have found anyone to go with me anyway. Not up here. Sometimes you just gotta do it. Could've called the county road dep't to do it, and they'd have said, "Sure, right away, thanks for the heads-up." Ten yr. later, high winds and some rot would've almost certainly brought it down. They're supposed to grade our road four times a year--not spread any base on it, you know just run that blade up and down to smooth it a bit; I kept track of it last time on my wall calendar and it's been six yr. since they did it. So

Last edited:
I am building a cabin in the woods using a chainsaw mill. I cut alone.
The worst accident I had in three years was pulling a bear bag up. I was pulling a cable wire(the stuff your cable tv comes in) over a taught lenght of real cable. The bag was real heavy, so I had to pull with all my might. Well, if you haven't guessed the cable wire broke. Now if your thinking man he musta went flying well I was a steep hill so flying was not only really far but I was also really high. I had enough time to imagine the stick that was going to protrude my abdoman upon landing. I was actually shocked to realize that I was completely unharmed.
Just so ya know ya never know. Stay fresh and don't work when your tired.

I work mostly alone
I use a boost(nextel) and log the GPS into the phone.comes in thephone for a little charge.
But if some thing happens in the woods .i have a location even if the roads are not maped.
just dont take any iffy's or mabe's

wow, I'm in good company!

Well, looks like I'll continue doing what I'm doing taking all the necessary precautions everyone mentions ... PPE, no 'tricky' cuts, no fatigue, etc. Unfortunately no service for the cell.

thx guys for reinforcing my bad habits... knew I could count on ya :)

( Hopefully my wife wont need to make a first post to this board saying I 'bled out' over the weekend! )

sawinredneck said:
I don't see any point in a short sleeve, and "Visa" is al I can find in long sleeve. Any thoughts?
Andy

When I was trained, we had to wear the Elvex vests. When I asked why it was sleeveless, I was told that kickback injuries to the arms are rare. I never researched it, so I can't say if that's true or not. Mind you, this was not training for climbing and cutting in trees. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I stopped wearing the vest about a year later because in the summer heat (Arizona, Phoenix area) it created a more pressing safety hazard - overheating and fatigue.

As for cutting alone, I insist that the guys I oversee never cut alone. But, being a hypocrite, I do occasionally cut alone. Typically when I am doing that, it's clearing fenceline, which takes me miles away from the truck, often into "black holes" where the $3000 two-way radio/goldbrick is useless and the cell service is non-existent. I tend to take the opposite of the "it won't happen to me attitude," which is 'it may very well happen to me.' Makes me think about every cut, though. And, frankly, I accepted that the higher risk of dying in case of injury was worth the pleasure of working alone.

Though I'm looking into getting some "Quik-Clot."

This is such a great thread it needs to be put btt. I think that many CS loonies cut alone from time to time. Some probably a lot more than others. I cut alone 99% of the time. When I mess up and create a hairy situation, I go and find somebody to be there with me just in case I end up in a wreak. I always put on the full comlement of PPE before starting a saw and have the cell phone in the tool pocket of my Carrhart work pants.

The idea of wearing a fanny pack for carrying Maxipads and duct tape is such a good one that I immediately put a small fanny pack/Maxipads/duct tape together and it is next to my chaps so that it is just part of my PPE gear now. I included a short lenght of surgical tubing and a BIG chromed brass Acme Thunderer whistle so I can signal rescuers looking for me. The fanny pack weight less than a lb so I cannot think of a single reason not to always have it on me while cutting.

I like the way you think scrench. EDIT: EXCEPT THE MAXIPADS BECAUSE I DONT PLAN TO BLEED

I also work alone. Cel fone always. Also a float plan. I dunno what PPL or PPC or whatewver that is but I got wacked in the haid so maybe I need to know. I was careful on the overhead but dam if one didn't wack me...

QUESTION: wHAT headgear do you boys recommend?

Canyon

Working alone does make you think.
This is what I am up against in the morning.
What I am looking at is that Gray back red oak for fire wood I figure it is 60 feet tall and 20 inches wide. Problem is I cannot touch the broken tree intill it hits the ground. So says the DNR. Oh yea this is on federal land.

Last edited:
I try to avoid cutting alone. But when I do, its with all the PPE and I always take along at least two saws, as one has a habit of getting caught in a pinch when a limb twists or falls the wrong way. Seems like it never happens when I'm with others; but, alone, it seems the elves get into the act and grab the bar at the most unexpected moment. :bowdown:

Canyon Angler said:
I like the way you think scrench. EDIT: EXCEPT THE MAXIPADS BECAUSE I DONT PLAN TO BLEED

I also work alone. Cel fone always. Also a float plan. I dunno what PPL or PPC or whatewver that is but I got wacked in the haid so maybe I need to know. I was careful on the overhead but dam if one didn't wack me...

QUESTION: wHAT headgear do you boys recommend?

Canyon

canyon angler,

By all means, protect your head. Despite arguments to the contrary, it is the most important part of our bodies. Speaking only for myself, a lot of people, including myself, have spent a lot of time and money stuffing stuff into my head. Some good, some bad. I would hate to let all that effort leak out because I was too optimistic, stubborn, cool, stupid, cheap. arrogant and/or lazy to wear a hard hat while doing something that could potentially bash my head in.

The head gear suggested by others is one way to skin the cat. I started out on the cheap. I bought a regular construction hard hat at Home Depot for 7 bucks. I had some foam ear plugs that cost around a buck/pr. I also had impact resistant plastic safety glasses with side protection that I wore over my glasses. The safety glasses are also available at Home Depot for a few bucks. So for around 10-12 bucks, I had something that was better than nothing. I am pretty sure the Husqvarna badged head gear I now wear is not that much of an improvement over what I started with. Both of my hard hats have the same ANSI rating. Maybe others with a lot more cutting experience will know better. I have not had anything come crashing down on me where my hard hat saved my skull ..... yet.

I often work alone and I know its not a good idea. Sometimes theres just things that need to be done and you can't wait for help. PPE is an absolute must. Somebody knowing where you are is also important. On the subject of hardhats...one of the most common injuries is to be hit on the head by a falling limb or whateverer and the hat slams down in front...breaking your nose. Hurts like the devil. If you're falling always pay attention to whats above you and never move into a freshly fallen tree for a minute or so. Let things settle. Even then keep a good eye for things above you..its the things you don't see that can get you. Bob

So right Bob. I think LOOK UP is one of the top safety rules for falling timber.
It all depends, but sometimes being with someone is more dangerous than being by yourself.
I am almost always working alone, but am comfortable with it and have less things to watch out for than if someone else is around.

when working alone:

- personel protective equipment - ALWAYS! PPE incleds hardhat, visor, earmuffs, gloves, chainsaw chaps (preferably full wrap pants...) steel toe boots.

- first Aid kit in the truck, and the following ON YOUR PERSON (ie in your jacket pocket: carry a 8" x 10" stomach dressing, Tensor bandage and EMT Shears. This combo will stop blood flow in ANY wound, be it a leg gash, open stomach wound, arterial bleed etc. The EMT shears are used to cut your clothes so you can apply the bandage to the wound. The Tensor is to put pressure on the wound. the Tensor is NOT a tourniquet, unless there is someone that is trained to use one.

practice pulling out the package and wrapping it onto you. Do many reps of this drill. When your under duress and losing blood rapidly, you will thank yourself for the muscle memory and fast application.

- carry a whistle, LED flashlight with lithium batteries.

- cell phoens are good BUT do they work in the woods where you are? consider a VHF or CB radio, and advise a friend that has one to keep it on while your in the woods. Channel 9 is the emergency channel. Broadcast your location and type of injury, then wait for a reply. Some peopel carry Personal Locator Beacons. These are tiny units that broadcast a signal in any weather conditon or cloudcover. Be warned that activating one will send a full Search Team and associated Authorities. Use only in a life threatening emergency, such as an injury that you cant deal with or if you cant drive out yourself. make yourself visible to the searchers.

- no drugs, no booze, this should be a no brainer.

- tell someone where you'll be, how long etc. tell them when your back in town too...

- dont push your limits, or or equipment. use slow deliberate movements and dont rush. Rushing causes accidents.

if the light is starting to wane, PACK UP. come back at daybreak.

:rock:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back