Working alone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^Agree^^
I too am guilty of cutting alone (mainly out of necessity), I'd really rather not (I enjoy company I guess) and consider myself very lucky over the years having had nothing serious happen. When bucking up stuff I don't have a problem with it and won't do anything I don't feel sharp enough to do. When felling I've always made sure there is someone within hailing distance and even better, watching from a safe distance, and a whistle I consider a must and is always a part of my PPE. If I'm out to the woods I always make sure someone knows where I am and when I'm near home a short half hour of silence will bring someone to check on me or at very least a whistle back and forth (one of the best things I learned as a kid was a loud whistle without using my fingers). If I feel a situation is unsafe, I'm tiring out, or I am unsure of myself I walk away (using one of the most important pieces of PPE, common sense) until I have someone around and/or have re-evaluated the job at hand. My legs and ankle are pretty gimped since '93 and I have done very little of this sort of thing since I became a dad 8yrs ago, none as a single pop, priorities have changed. I agree totally with those who mentioned not working with impaired people, just say no and call it a day if need be. Enough blathering, I go now, stay safe all. :)

:cheers:

Yeppers

BushWhack said:
so anyone out there in the 'bad' practice of sawing alone??

The young family predicament has me going up to the cottage alone occasionally to take care of business. While my priorities obviously lie with my family, the woodwork also needs to get done :)

Not too keen on doing this (especially being a newly branded father) but I cant seem to find ways around this at this point. Friends, sometimes not available, when the family does come my precense is needed (cottage is out in the woods), yadda yadda ....

I am extra careful, but I know its not safe as the nearest house from me up there is half a mile away. Anyone else guilty of this ??

Flame away ...

I do it all the time. Gives me a chance to clear my head and enjoy some peace and quiet, ya know, the screaming of a chainsaw is better than the soft whisper of the misses sometimes, lmao. I've been in the woods alone cutting since i was a kid. I like it that way mostly. I'm up the road from ya, not too far. If you need a hand anytime gimme a shout. I just like the workout, that's about the only reason I'm still cutting and splitting now, lol.

II do it as little as possible and usually only when the wife is at least at home if noot watching me, take my father and father-in-law as much as possible but there are times when I have no choice but to cut on my own. No cell service by me so that does not help much.

nah

woodfarmer said:
what happened to your cousin, don't the two of you do 20 cord a day anymore?
Sure don't. There's gotta be somebody else in here that used to cut like that.

455 rancher

JUDGE1162 said:
II do it as little as possible and usually only when the wife is at least at home if noot watching me, take my father and father-in-law as much as possible but there are times when I have no choice but to cut on my own. No cell service by me so that does not help much.

you have much luck with that 455 Rancher? I bought one a while bag and it was a dog. I'm not sure if there is a break-in time for a saw when you buy it new, but figured I'd ask ya. Maybe I got a dud, I dunno. Know anything about that?

ciscoguy01 said:
you have much luck with that 455 Rancher? I bought one a while bag and it was a dog. I'm not sure if there is a break-in time for a saw when you buy it new, but figured I'd ask ya. Maybe I got a dud, I dunno. Know anything about that?

Contrary to popular thought the 455 is acually a miling saw...:jester:

I dunno what you're comparing it to, but the 455 is about the equivalent of a Stihl 290. Built for price and not for high-end performance. Low power to (high)weight but absolutely capable of getting the work done within it's limits.

The downside is it will last a LOOOOONNNNGGG time if properly maintained - which makes it even harder to explain why you need to replace it with a more capable saw!

359 would have been far more impressive to ya.

I got the 455 Rancher thinking it would be the biggest saw I would need for light clearig and cutting firewood, there is a little break in time after about 25 or so hours it ran very nice but that could have been and operator issue as this was my first real saw, before this I had(still do) an eager beaver saw so the whole carb tuning, etc had a bit of a learning curve.

I did end up going and getting a 575xp because I felt I did need a bigger saw (this site will do that to you). The big draw back to the 455 is the weight, but he power to price ratio more than makes up for the weight to power ratio to me. For $325 it is a nice saw for the money yeah for $400 you can get a 359 but for 1/3 more money for an extra 4 CCs and a little less weight just was not worth it to me.

I do not find the service/maintance an issue but it is a fairly new saw less than a year old. I was a little disapointed that I could not modify the saw.

This thread makes you really start thinking. I'm gonna go today and learn how to activate the GPS on my cell. When cutting alone, I'm going to quit locking the only gate on the the only road into our property. I'm going to mark up a topo map of the property with all the uncharted trails and skid lanes on its 540 acres, cross-grid it with lon/lat reference lines, and post copies of it on the bulletin board at the gate. And the fanny pack will be coming off the shelf and be stuffed before my next trip into the woods. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom.

John

Hiya yellowhammer and welcome to AS! Yup a great bunch here for sure, learned more in 3mo.s than I ever knew lol.

I forgot to mention my second most important piece of PPE, a flattened 1/4 roll of TP in a baggy in me back pocket, ever wiped with ferns? Yuck!

:D

Sprig said:
Hiya yellowhammer and welcome to AS! Yup a great bunch here for sure, learned more in 3mo.s than I ever knew lol.

I forgot to mention my second most important piece of PPE, a flattened 1/4 roll of TP in a baggy in me back pocket, ever wiped with ferns? Yuck!

:D

uhmm :confused: ...... you wipe ?

:greenchainsaw:

blis said:
uhmm :confused: ...... you wipe ?

:greenchainsaw:

LOLOL!!!! Oh yes, we awre verwy civilised here. :p

Hmmmm...you don't??? Oh, let me guess, thats what underwear is for? :fart: GACK!!!!! Backa truck bad doggies!

:givebeer: and a airsickness bag. :cry:

Back