working high

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
just wondering at what maximum altitude have you been working ?
I don`t think I`ve been more than 10 m higher

A 120 plus foot gum to get Eagle poo from a nest for a researcher huh when I got down I found it all around the tree base I really should'a looked 1st saved me the climb.

I do a 90 foot chrissy tree Norfolk Island Pine each year to string up the xmas lights its kinda fun.

Look at this bloke sheez it makes my hands clammy just watchin it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_n3Dln4Y74

1700 foot tower getting climbed without safety harness, scary as hell

I have no problem with heights if secured; but if not, that`s a totally different story.
bet you when you look back you`re really glad you had the chance to climb those trees.

Thought this thread was going to be about something else. :smoking: I was thinking "Really?", glad to see it took a different direction. :hmm3grin2orange:

i think i would take a rope to descend to the elavator,screw climbing down

Last edited:
My thoughts to, climbinn down I reckon more a risk than going up. Way harded to see what your feet are up to while you tend to loose your rhythm with your hand grip. I done a few big gantry ladders and with a bag of gear, tired and a going home hurry you know what will happen.

In a tree 120ft. on a building 500+ is pretty typical , I spent a month working nights on the phillies stadium putting up the light towers in the dark , that was about 200ft , the only light we had were two haligens mounted on the tip of the crane ...that was 100ft above us ..

And Treeco, seems you are always getting something stuck in your tires. Me? I put the truck on the ground and the wheel was sideways so I was thinking what I did to make it be like. Turns out I put the cam for the camber adjustment back in 180 degrees out. I though I was looking at it right but I was wrong but it was just a quick manipulation to set it back now the tires sit right.
Big thing with Ford TTB, you know how the tires look like they are tilted top in? They are, for many reasons. Some people think it can't be fixed and its normal. Its not so. if you ever see somebody with a Ford and they got their wheels top tilted in tell them to fix their dam truck cause TTB is the bomb. If i had the time, money and true interest I would hook it up but I just keep them on the road.

Last edited:
LOL
my native language is not english.
It was just that I was wondering how high you got to climb while cutting trees.
it came to me watching the photos of those old timers climbing to cut the tip of the redwood.
but other posts/pics with non chainsaw related jobs will do just fine.

I fail to see how you didn`t get this; after all, it is
ArboristSite.com > Tree Care Forums > Arborist 101 > working high

oh, whatever....

that depends on how much I smoke that morning.............

oh, you're talking about height, prolly 150 to 170 feet....

My wifes cousin would get so stoned on his lunch break when we were ironworking together that half the time he would forget his tools when we jumped back on the crane...He was a trip he's a quadriplegic now from a 25ft fall that he had right in front of his father ... Now he just sits in front of the TV drolling all over himself ... Doing drugs and working doesn't really mix well ..

I've had to re-tie in on 120' line many times in the past, but only a couple times on a 150' rope so about 80' maybe 90' max. Because I work mostly alone and only climb part-time, I'm seldom over 30-40' high because any higher then that would probably mean it's a tree to big for me to handle either in the air on or on the ground.

in a tree 116ft on a building 225ft on a ledge 713ft one time i got paid to fly to Nevada so that what like 39000ft in a 777 but i slept most of the time so i don't know if id consider that...

140ft in a poplar tree. Virgin timber area over off Wilson Mills rd. First lateral was at about the 65ft. mark. That was a long hump.

Tree climber101:

I am outta local 700. (structural). Only been on the iron a total of 3 weeks since april. Too busy with trees. My buddy was at 401 in philly last year for the apprentice competition. He didnt win but he said he met a lot of good guys and brought me back some cool stickers and a 401 t-shirt!

Last edited:
picture.php
Tree climber101:

I am outta local 700. (structural). Only been on the iron a total of 3 weeks since april. Too busy with trees. My buddy was at 401 in philly last year for the apprentice competition. He didnt win but he said he met a lot of good guys and brought me back some cool stickers and a 401 t-shirt!

Yea were not mixed here either I worked all over the city and spent three years of my apprenticeship as a connector making journeyman money lol, my local didn't tie rebar, loved it but they had me driving 3hrs. a day running up to jersey city daily I left because I was never home and I had a new daughter and missed alot with her in the 1st 2 years of her life..Its a shame that he didn't bring you back one of our sweatshirts they are the #### you can wear them in the dead of winter with a T shirt underneath and be warm ...

Last edited:
Back