Working off a ladder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this all the time. People see the fancy (if I may) gear we use daily to do what we do to make a living.

Wonder how many guys are on a mechanics sites right now, trying to figure out how to overhaul an engine with a handful of tools dad gave'em as a teen and the Craftsman socket set the kids gave them for Fathers Day.

It's the curse of you being a good worker Raymond.

I go into a lot of workplaces and see a lot of people working. The good ones make it look easy. The really good ones make it look effortless. It's not until I try some of their jobs that I really appreciate how good they are and how hard some of their jobs are.

Sometimes its a hard thing to really know what you can do, what you can learn to do, and what you should leave for others to do. As Inspector Harry Callahan says:
"A man's got to know his limitations." ... (Magnum Force - 1973)

Philbert

I'm a volunteer firefighter myself. I remember an emergency call to a neighbor's place, where he had been doing just what you are planning. In his case, the branch tipped down and the butt of the branch swung around unpredictably and knocked the ladder out from under him. I think the count was three broken ribs and a broken clavicle. He was lucky. (But I have also cut from ladders, and have been lucky.)

Guys, I'm just tryin' not to tear up my woods here. The tree is dead and it's at least a couple cords of good firewood. If I was a logger, I'd just drop it, hook on to the butt with a cable, and drag it out. I don't need to do anything dangerous. I'm good friends with two local arborists and both of them would just laugh at me if I said I wanted them to help me cut a tree in the middle of the woods. This ain't rocket science, if I had arms six feet long I'd just lop the sucker off and flop the rest.

I've been cutting trees down for over 20 years, had more than a few pinched bars, hangups and trees going the wrong way. I've gone through logger training and consider myself far more experienced than most homeowners. I cut 10-12 cords of wood a year and several thousand board feet of lumber on my mill. You ain't talkin' to a newbie - but this is a complicated drop for me, and I'd rather keep this one clean.

Thanks for all the advice you've given so far - I'm still leaning toward the pole saw.

Hanging on a ladder venting a structure is a whole different thing than cutting a couple hundred pounds of wood that gravity is going to pull right towards the base of the ladder you are standing on.

Where is the point that it needs a professional? After you are paralized.... If you are that lucky?

Don't let firefighter mentality get you in over your head with this.

No laughing matter

I'm gonna assume that 10' is height limb attaches to tree, and knowing ash trees a bit, that limb heads skyward at a 45 degree angle or so? Pole saw can have a degree of risk since you usually are standing somewhere UNDER the work? Is it even an option to cut from ground in sections or need to take all at once even with pole saw? I use ladders often, but NEVER without climbing line and steel core flip line attached near or above me before starting saw. I know how to make the cuts that keep the wood from falling on my ladder which I am no longer standing on, but don't want to ruin.

Swallow your pride, ask one of those "friendly local arborists" to show you how to SAFELY knock this limb off and you can laugh together.

Even pro's mis-judge knocking off a limb. One died about 10 miles from my house about a year ago taking off a limb out of a bucket around 15' up. Not sure if it hit another on the way down or what, but somehow butt came back and kicked him in the head, they unplugged life support a week or so later.

PLEASE let this have a happy ending. . .

Yeah Jon E it's kinda hard to distinguish who knows what in here.
Like I'm not a certified arborist and kinda felt guilty at first for joining this group. But then on the other hand it looks like half of the guys here are guys that just bought their first chainsaw.

But really NO there is no exceptions, when it comes to cutting off a ladder. Polesaws are great. If you go that route just remember EVERYTHING you cut is above your head.

Last edited:
:monkey: Just had a funny thought.

Wonder how many guys are on a mechanics sites right now, trying to figure out how to overhaul an engine with a handful of tools dad gave'em as a teen and the Craftsman socket set the kids gave them for Fathers Day.

this is what i have been screaming about since i have been here on this site. people who shouldnt be doing what they are trying to do.

they think its easy.

this is what i have been screaming about since i have been here on this site. people who shouldnt be doing what they are trying to do.

they think its easy.

I hear what you're screaming...... I'm picking up what you're putting down.....I feel your pain.....:)

The pole saw, or hiring someone will cost much less than your emergency medical bills if you survive. There is no escape route from a ladder.

Another option is to cut the maple also. Losing one tree may not be a big deal. Or maybe it is. Just another option to consider.

Funny, but I did go looking for more information recently when I did some work on my car. While I wasn't trying to learn how to do everything, I was trying to learn a few tricks, tips, or procedures specific to my vehicle prior to starting. I have no training, but I do all of my own repairs on my vehicles. Never hurts to go looking for some advice from people who do this routinely. I think the majority of guys on this site are like me. Capable of doing many different tasks, and doing most of them well. Sometimes, we need a little help to get over the hump or move in the right direction. This guy is no different - he's just thinking out loud and trying to solve a problem.

Most of the time I am doing car work or tree work, I do not think it is easy. However, with some thought and planning, it is easy enough for me to do 90% of what I need to do. Sometimes I need a new tool to do it, so I go buy it or rent it, so I can get the job done if it is possible for me to do.

Ah, I'm just south of Brattleboro. Was going to say, if you were close enough, I'd have no problem taking a hike with you to spur up the tree real quick and just take the limb off for you, but Bennington is a bit more of a hike than I'd probably do.

Good luck!

Just do it

Doesn't sound all that dangerous to me as long as you use your head. With your experience you should be able to cripple yourself as well as anybody and I'll bet you have great insurance based on what you have told us so far. Even if you posted pictures it still would be difficult to accurately asses the danger factor. I think that the fact that you have asked for suggestions and understand the dangers indicate to me that your smart enough to take the proper precautions. I'm sure that you have considered the fact that this 10" limb may be the only thing keeping this tree upright and once it falls..... well at any rate best of luck and be sure to let us know how it works out. Hopefully your next post will have pictures of your ash tree lying on the ground next to....... the maple tree:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back