Working on a steep hill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joost

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
any tips how to work best with minimal equipment on a small but steep plot of land? The exit road is on top, no big equipment will be on hand. :)

Sorry, cutting firewood. :) , then moving it up the hill to the road.
Firewood will be rather thin branches (robinia)

Maybe some type of skid with a back on it and a rope tied a vehicle to pull it up the hill after loaded I've rigged similar with pulley at the top the hill anchored to a good tree so I could drive perpendicular to the slope on top to. Pull load up

Well I didn't take the job, the plot of land was offered to me virtually for free, whereas otherwise this plot of land would cost me around 8000-10000 dollars if it was located a boit better. It has some disadvantages, most of which are not important to me, but it does has some obligations and i was wondering how to organize my work on a steep hill in an efficient way. the area where i live tens to be rather flat, so this is a bit new for me. :

In most cases i cut my wood in pieces of 1 metre (3 foot) then split it at home, then cut it. So eqipment to cut and split wood 1 meter long is available.
I mostly carry out the wood from the forrest to my trailer with a handcart, allowing me to transport by hand aprrox 1/4th -1/3rd of a cubic meter per time.

I was thinking to cut the small trees (they have to be cut at least every nine years, due to reduce the risk for passing trains) ) on the lowest part off the terrain which is next to the railroadtrack and flat. I can get it there without too much trouble, just using the downhill. I can cut it there to 1 meter pieces as well, only then i need to pull it uphill.

Making a skid out of my little woodtransportcart and a winch seems to be a good valid option at this stage.

I like to have a rope tie off at the top when working on a steep hill, it makes going up and down a little less tiring being able to pull my self up. If you can get a pulley up high in a tree up top you can set it so as you go down hill the skid goes up hill. could work.

Don't cut it uphill. The logs can bounce or roll back and hurt you. Cut them as close to downhill as possible so a winch can drag the whole trees out easier. Get a skidding cone to keep the logs from getting caught on the way up the hill.

ok, after a tip on another forum I got to see this video :
a toy company makes and sells some stuff i can use in the respect: http://www.wickey.de/seilbahnen/index.html , like a brakespring.

I have some metal rope (10 mm) a tirfor to wind it up, and woordcart that is small enough to be used. only have to find a starterengine or st secondhand and I can make st useable for small money...

Only thing i need to invastigate is to have some fixationpoints for the rope. I'll find a soluton for that as well :). And when not in use, the kids have some extra stuff to play with in the garden :) :)

A tirfor will take forever to get wood to the top but it can move an awful lot in one go

That is a nice thing, BuckmasterStumpGrind, However, i plan to maximise woodproduction for this piece of land, so I will try and plant wllows, and use a 5 year rotation, -> lots af small stuff expected :). plus pulling it upwards sounds a bit easier in this scenario then will be possible in reality.

A) I can not pull linear uphill. not the biggest problem but:
B) I can use a pulley, but would have to attach it to the other side of a public road that gets some use.
C) I will best cut the wood to an useable size on the spot, to minimize transport and also so i do not transport too much useless wood.
D) working with the wood is best not done on the road (to little space to work decently and safely)

And @ Treesmith:

I would use the tirfor to tension the carriercable, and use a fast winch to drag the load over the carriercable.

4so6px.png

a small sketch, I have to see, a small part of it is reachable with a car on the lower side of the plot, the biggest part however is not.
I think I'm gonna try this setup as I think it should work out, and i have most of the equipment ready. Only thing is to find my a useable winch for this application :). (fast and cheap, doesn't need to have a huge amount of pulling power, about 300N should be enough)

Latest posts

Back