working on Sundays

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Alive

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious, do any of you run saws on Sunday? I have to because I work a 6-2 schedule with MasTec, so sometimes Sunday is one of my only days off. I have an oak to pull down and buck up for my FIL for firewood today. My parents never let me do any outside work like cut grass, paint, etc... on Sundays when I was growing up. Most Sundays I try to at least wait until the churches have let out but then half my day is gone.

Well, growing up we didn't work on Sundays other than milk the cows and regular chores that had to be done. But now I work seven days a week it seems. Been trying to keep Sunday off when we can.
Welp it's Sunday today and I gotta go cut and split for an hour so I got enough wood for the week!!!:monkey:

HEATHENS SAVE YOURSELF!!! No really most people would love a day to bask in self gratification,entertainment.....whatever floats your boat.However in this day and age,ya gotta do whats ya gotta do.It should also be noted however that occasionally these chores that occupy our days off can be a pleasure to engage in,and so that brings us back to one of the purposes of this site.This brings to light a bigger question,is what you are doing with your free time REALLY a chore or a pleasure?

First, describe "work". Making out bills, repairing machinery and saws, meeting clients for new jobs, returning phone calls, paying bills? Then yes, I work every Sunday. Climbing trees, brush work, cutting trees, snow plowing? Then yes but not too often. Spring and fall is when I really work the seven day shift. summer slows down a bit and then the dead of winter really slows down, sometimes Saturdays off too. Can't remember the last time i watched a football game the whole way through. Raining here now so I'll be making out bills which are WAYYYY behind. Keep in mind that for the past 8 years, I have had the introduction of two new faces in my life that I felt the need to go out and fully support. I'm the main breadwinner and they rely on me which means every available moment to work must be exploited. Now that the expenses have dropped a bit (daycare, baby food, preschool, babysitters), the heat is off for a while, that is until college! I actually took yesterday off to go hunting locally with some freinds for the day. First time in seven years. And even that paid off. Got two jobs on the phone and a buddy of mine got a SLAMMER of a deer. Work when you can and make your money because, as we have been seeing lately, work my be slow for the unforseeable future.

:cheers:

I think it's good to take a day off once a week when you can, but I don't see that Sunday is some holy day that I might violate.

Maybe the perceptions from Christians that are dipped in the traditions of men are looking at me funny, but you'll have that. They have little knowledge of their traditions and the origins thereof anyway. That's the great danger of having it spoon fed to you once or twice a week.

To each their own.

I generally consider my rain days as a day of rest, but I've been off the past three weekends getting equipment ready and now waiting for my next side contract to start.

Even if I'm not out making money on Sunday, I'm doing work around the house. If it's crummy on a Sunday, maybe I'll pick up a game or part of a race, but they tend to bore me.

Though I must say I thoroughly enjoyed watching Balk State get upset the other night by a team that showed superior desire. The head coach for UB is now on my personal hero list for what he did and said after the game.

I've never been one to sit still and be entertained, whether on a pew, in a theater, or in a lazyboy. I rather like to be involved in whatever I'm taking part in.

Besides, if more Christians would actually consider walking with God everyday, the world would be a better place everyday, not just on Sunday.

Why, if my children only had reverence for me once or twice a week my home would be a mad house.

It's no wonder we live in such strange daze.

First, describe "work". Making out bills, repairing machinery and saws, meeting clients for new jobs, returning phone calls, paying bills? Then yes, I work every Sunday. Climbing trees, brush work, cutting trees, snow plowing? Then yes but not too often. Spring and fall is when I really work the seven day shift. summer slows down a bit and then the dead of winter really slows down, sometimes Saturdays off too. Can't remember the last time i watched a football game the whole way through. Raining here now so I'll be making out bills which are WAYYYY behind. Keep in mind that for the past 8 years, I have had the introduction of two new faces in my life that I felt the need to go out and fully support. I'm the main breadwinner and they rely on me which means every available moment to work must be exploited. Now that the expenses have dropped a bit (daycare, baby food, preschool, babysitters), the heat is off for a while, that is until college! I actually took yesterday off to go hunting locally with some freinds for the day. First time in seven years. And even that paid off. Got two jobs on the phone and a buddy of mine got a SLAMMER of a deer. Work when you can and make your money because, as we have been seeing lately, work my be slow for the unforseeable future.

:cheers:

Amen, got a make hay while the sun shines, and make certain things are ready to go while it rains.

I have a full time time, plus doing the tree work. So i do the small jobs after work, and save the big jobs for Sat and Sun. I accually like doing work on Sun. cuz most people either stay in the house relaxing or out away from the house, not out trying to help or bugging you. It just seems to be a less stressful day.

i run saws on Sunday.

if anyone gives me any grief,itell them to stop voting for politicians that tax me to death and cause me to have to work 7 days a week.

I have a full time time, plus doing the tree work. So i do the small jobs after work, and save the big jobs for Sat and Sun. I accually like doing work on Sun. cuz most people either stay in the house relaxing or out away from the house, not out trying to help or bugging you. It just seems to be a less stressful day.

That's a great point. Sunday work generally goes alot smoother for those reasons.

I usually don't start making noise until midmorning(9am) on Sunday if I can help it.

NO!! never work Sunday, I will put in Bids & repair/Maint. equipment & then its not all day!! many towns, cities have ordinances against working on Sundays!!

Hell some bars cant even open on sundays other than to serve food!!
If you are that hard up for money that 1 day off will hurt you then you need help in the financial aspects of things!!!

LXT..............

I try to avoid noise until later in the day. I don't do it out of respect for religion though, only becuase it is a customary "quiet day". When it comes to those who think you will go to hell if you work on a sunday, I really don't want to wind up anywhere they are anyhow.

Harry K

NO!! never work Sunday, I will put in Bids & repair/Maint. equipment & then its not all day!! many towns, cities have ordinances against working on Sundays!!

Hell some bars cant even open on sundays other than to serve food!!
If you are that hard up for money that 1 day off will hurt you then you need help in the financial aspects of things!!!

LXT..............

yes. I need halp in "the financial aspects of things"

that's why I work 7 days a week in the first place.

yes. I need help in "the financial aspects of things"

that's why I work 7 days a week in the first place.

Kinda of a gimmie, huh?

Though I'm not "hard up."

It's just that I'm trying to build my own business, and cover the bills that have gone up 3 fold, while my wages barely increase.

I'm not complaining, nor waiting for a bail out, I'm getting after it.

We have " Old Sunday Blue- Laws " which prohibit Sunday operations ! They are strictly enforced with ticketing & harsh fines for offenders ! :popcorn:

6 days a week I owe the world my keep. God gave me Sunday to let those things go. I really better understood this at the dawn of the computer age when I first had a word processor program and a printer that would print big enough for my mother and my wife's grandfather to read. Sunday afternoon I could let other stuff go and write letters they could read. In 1985, I spent every evening and Saturday working on the outside of the house, vinyl siding, foam board insulation under it, aluminmum cladding on all the trim, new patio door, and a dozen other things better done while I was at it. Sundays, I did something with my wife and kids. You don't have that many years with them.

No amount of money or other stuff is worth Sunday being one more day of the week.

Last edited:
Wealth

I would think working on Sunday would end up making you more money. I grew up on a farm and in that area 2 out of 3 of the Wealthiest farmers didn't work on Sunday. Neither of them had anything to get started on either.

Two issues

One as talked about by others is Sunday ordinances that prohibit work.

The second is the need for the body to rest. If you are working 7 days a week, then in reality you could be working 30-40 days in a row. That much physical activity ultimately leads to injury. The body needs time to rest. You can get a way with it when you're young, but add a couple of years and ..... Ibuprofin will be your friend.

Just curious, do any of you run saws on Sunday? I have to because I work a 6-2 schedule with MasTec, so sometimes Sunday is one of my only days off. I have an oak to pull down and buck up for my FIL for firewood today. My parents never let me do any outside work like cut grass, paint, etc... on Sundays when I was growing up. Most Sundays I try to at least wait until the churches have let out but then half my day is gone.

I like to work sundays. Since I try to rest a little more on saturday sunday is like a new begginning to my work week. If your working at a good thing its good to work anyday. If you need a rest its best to get it when you need it.

NO.

The majority of the folks in my area are Christian and hold Sunday rather sacred. It's one thing to work in your own yard on a Sunday afternoon but I think most Christians would look negatively upon a service business that operates loud equipment on a Sunday. For every one customer that doesn't mind you working on a Sunday, there might be three or four of their neighbors who are going through the yellow pages and crossing your company's name off of the Tree Service section with a big sharpie marker for future reference.

If you want to alienate the Christian sector of your customer base, go right ahead and work on their day of rest but, be prepared to pay for your poor business choices. I suppose the same argument can be used for those who choose to work on religious holidays. Whether you choose to observe Christmas or Easter as religious holidays is up to you but, you will not be overly popular with most folks if you choose to disrupt their family get-togethers with the smell of diesel and the reving of chainsaws.

Good business choices are not about doing what is most favorable to you. It's about doing what is most favorable to your customer base. You'll stay in business only as long as your customers say you'll stay in business. Piss them off and you'll be looking for a new line of work...

A good portion or the work i do is for hunting/fishing camps around here, and there only up here on weekends. So Sat. and Sun. are a must sometimes for me AND the customer.

Back