working on Sundays

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are always going to be a few exceptions for working on Sunday. However, serving a remote hunting lodge vs an urban residential customer is comparing apples to oranges. While in the deep south, you might find a few furry critters observing sunday service, up here in the north, most of the deer and pheasants are either athiest or agnostic. (Conveniently, that's why we have little reservation in hunting or trapping them) :)

However, serving a remote hunting lodge vs an urban residential customer is comparing apples to oranges. :)

Oh i understand. It's just in the original post you made it sound like you should never ever work on Sun. Witch suprised me because i usually agree with most of the stuff you post.

NO.

The majority of the folks in my area are Christian and hold Sunday rather sacred. It's one thing to work in your own yard on a Sunday afternoon but I think most Christians would look negatively upon a service business that operates loud equipment on a Sunday. For every one customer that doesn't mind you working on a Sunday, there might be three or four of their neighbors who are going through the yellow pages and crossing your company's name off of the Tree Service section with a big sharpie marker for future reference.

If you want to alienate the Christian sector of your customer base, go right ahead and work on their day of rest but, be prepared to pay for your poor business choices. I suppose the same argument can be used for those who choose to work on religious holidays. Whether you choose to observe Christmas or Easter as religious holidays is up to you but, you will not be overly popular with most folks if you choose to disrupt their family get-togethers with the smell of diesel and the reving of chainsaws.

Good business choices are not about doing what is most favorable to you. It's about doing what is most favorable to your customer base. You'll stay in business only as long as your customers say you'll stay in business. Piss them off and you'll be looking for a new line of work...

I don't hire out much of anything, but thanks for reminding of that.

There are certainly two ways to look at every business choice we make; 1) the legal boundaries governing such and 2) the ethical boundaries governing such.

There are plenty of legal boundaries that we all have to know about and ought to try to abide by. Some of the listers on this site have already mentioned the city ordinances that govern the work that we do. They tell us what days and hours we can work, what decibel noise level our equipment has to adhere to, what licensing, insurance, etc we might need to be in practice, etc, etc. Some local ordiances or state laws will specify ISA compliance in tree care methods (ie. no topping, what trees to plant where, etc). Other laws even go so far as to address neighbor conflict issues such as who can prune what limbs on their neighbor's tree if it hangs over on their property. And the list goes on and on...

Legal boundaries should be fairly easy for just about anyone in this industry to comply with. Not much room for personal interpretation when it's all spelled out in black and white.

Ethics is a bit trickier. While legally, you might be allowed within your area to operate chippers and chainsaws on a Sunday, ethically, you have to ask yourself if it's the right thing to do considering the customers you are serving. If you're a non-christian and your customer is a non-christian and most of the people in your service area are all non-christians, then I'm not going to tell you not to work on a Sunday. Afterall, in such a scenario, Sunday doesn't mean anything more to you, your customer or your service area residents than Saturday does. But, if by serving that one non-christian customer by working on Sunday offends 20 of his neighbors and area residents, then maybe you need to stop and ask yourself if you're doing the right thing.

Perhaps, it's not so much an ethical question as a business decision but I think everyone gets the point. Think of Sunday as a holiday that occurs 52 times a year for Christians. Working on Sunday is like working on a Christian holiday as some see it. It might sound rediculous to many of the folks on this site and that's your own opinion that you're entitled to but, the question asked in the original post was "is it ok to run saws on Sunday?" I don't believe the question was asking 'do any of you other service guys mind if I run my saws on Sunday'; rather, 'do you guys think my customers will mind?'

I think the answer will vary in each part of the country but just look at the attached statistics chart. You'll see that 76% of Americans identify themselves with Christianity. That means 3 out of 4 of your customers are Christians. That means that, while not all of the Christians might be upset by your idea of working on Sunday, there's still a pretty good chance that you're going to piss off the majority. Is it worth alienating many to please a few? Remember, it's not the 30-50 year-old guys who are your customers. It's the little old church ladies and nobody spreads information faster than little old church ladies! God help you if you make them mad...

Last edited:
yes. I need halp in "the financial aspects of things"

that's why I work 7 days a week in the first place.
do you have sick pay at the full time job, call in sick Monday and get paid for both........

I'll work on Sunday if the need calls for it but most of the time I'm at Mom's eating dinner and watching TV or reading the paper..........

do you have sick pay at the full time job, call in sick Monday and get paid for both........

I'll work on Sunday if the need calls for it but most of the time I'm at Mom's eating dinner and watching TV or reading the paper..........

I've never called in sick. Not this job anyway, since March 2005. I'm taking next week off because my vacation doesn't roll over and guess what?? NO TREE WORK. I had two jobs lined up that fell out. Maybe I'll get lucky.

arbor pro,

You are a complete...genius.

Certainly thou speaketh the truth.

Luckily, the hood that I'm in these days could care less, they are renters and have been dying to have their trees trimmed. I have the property owner's blessing and I have yet to receive any complaints.

Now then, I wouldn't think to work on Sundays if I were in the middle to upper class areas unless expressly pushed. My name is not on the door yet, and I have more work than I can handle.

Otherwise, I mostly work rural farmsteads, and farmers, even Christian farmers, understand the idea of working on Sundays. Especially if you are going to spread their fertilizer, or spray for pests and weeds. Then they'll bring you anything but a sermon.

I think they invented Sunday work.

My dad always did say that it didn't pay to work on Sundays because we always broke down. But then again that was most days anyway.

Besides, I haven't much choice until I'm on my own completely. Part of the reason I'm starting my own biz is so that I can work enough Monday thru Friday, perhaps Saturday, so that I can take Sunday off for the family.

One thing I would point out is the outcry that would go out among Christians if we didn't work on a Sunday during a storm's aftermath. And let us not forget that occasional hazard tree threatening the house. Yes, I know it is an emergency, but is it a sacred day or not.

The truth is it is not, it's only a convenient tradition.

Nevertheless, the perception prevails and it would be smart to observe it in many situations.

If nothing else in the interest of business.

Somebody said something about getting that much needed rest. Sunday's good for that, but so is that rainy day and whatever else the weather may do to prevent during the week.

Most all the work that I've been involved in during my life has depended on the weather, so rain days are my Sundays, provided I'm ready to go when the sun comes out.

Last edited:
As a general rule I try not to work on Sundays but if I need to I don't hesitate in the least. What I try to do in order to make it appear more respectful to the community is I only finish a job on Sunday, very rarely will I schedule a job for just on Sunday. If I have a full day job coming up as well as a half day job, I'll do the half day job Saturday morning and start the full day job Saturday afternoon and finish it Sunday. I could be wrong but I assume that this let's the neighbors know that there was just a scheduling problem and the job needed to be finished ASAP and not that I had total disregard for their peace and quiet on a Sunday. Had one complaint this year from the only person on the block whose house we didn't work at. Everyone else "understood".

We have a large Jewish community in Toronto and some of them don't like you working on their sabbath (Saturday). Some of my customers in Cottage Country don't want to hear a saw or chipper while they are enjoying their weekend. I'll always reschedule so as to not bother my customers or their neighbors (future customers). One of the advantages of working the weekends though, is I get a lot of business from people dropping by to see what your up to or to see your work.

As a general rule I try not to work on Sundays but if I need to I don't hesitate in the least. What I try to do in order to make it appear more respectful to the community is I only finish a job on Sunday, very rarely will I schedule a job for just on Sunday. If I have a full day job coming up as well as a half day job, I'll do the half day job Saturday morning and start the full day job Saturday afternoon and finish it Sunday. I could be wrong but I assume that this let's the neighbors know that there was just a scheduling problem and the job needed to be finished ASAP and not that I had total disregard for their peace and quiet on a Sunday. Had one complaint this year from the only person on the block whose house we didn't work at. Everyone else "understood".

Generally-sundays are family day. For me, that one day of rest and I can work harder, longer, and smarter the following week. But this year I've worked alot of sundays as I was swamped with work. That work doesn't get done sitting here looking or thinking it away. I just keep banging away at it and soon enough the job's done, and I get paid. But I'd swing a mop if that's what it takes to keep 3 squares and roof over my head, and I have youngsters that rely on me. I'll "git er done" one way or another-it's the only way I know. I don't look down on someone because they work on sundays-you do what you have to do. Jesus and his disciples got ragged on by the pharisees because they were cracking grain (work) so they could eat on sunday. I don't see any difference here, I just try to adhere to that as i can. As for what's right and what's wrong people individually will make that choice-for them.

I work 7 days a week. 5-6 days for for the company I work for and the rest I work for my self.

I'm taking next week off because my vacation doesn't roll over and guess what?? NO TREE WORK. I had two jobs lined up that fell out. Maybe I'll get lucky.
sucks don't it, I had a nice job set to go for a local church last month but the trustees decided to wait until after the first of the year, that job would have made me good for a month at least so now I'm just hoping for anything to come in.

sucks don't it, I had a nice job set to go for a local church last month but the trustees decided to wait until after the first of the year, that job would have made me good for a month at least so now I'm just hoping for anything to come in.

yup. sounds like we're in the same boat. same river. no paddles.

I'm a Christian, active in my church, & as a general rule don't work on Sundays.

However, the Bible speaks of the "ox in the ditch". The question to answer is, "how important is it to get this done today??"

I've done one stump job on a Sunday. Just a few weeks ago, still swamped with post-Gustav work, I had an 83 year old lady that was really frettin' over gettin' that stump outta her yard. It was a small job, maybe an hour tops. But, at 83, it was a major deal for her. I decided to go ahead on Sunday afternoon & get it taken care of for both of our peace of minds. She was happy, neighbors didn't complain, our blue laws have been removed, & I made it back to church that evening not feeling remorseful that I'd dishonored the Sabbath.

Lotta factors to consider to that question. Guess it all amounts to the circumstances and the situation.

I don't do it anymore. When I was younger yes but now I have a family and like to spend it with them. Most weekends in the summer I can be found at my camper near the ocean. I have no problem working a Saturday at all but if the next week is light on work I'll save it for Monday. A man has to rest sometime and life is to short to be working all the time and missing out on your kids growing up.

Just curious, do any of you run saws on Sunday? I have to because I work a 6-2 schedule with MasTec, so sometimes Sunday is one of my only days off. I have an oak to pull down and buck up for my FIL for firewood today. My parents never let me do any outside work like cut grass, paint, etc... on Sundays when I was growing up. Most Sundays I try to at least wait until the churches have let out but then half my day is gone.

Working sundays in the bible belt will get you some bad press.

I am quite picky about what I do on Sunday. I will mow my grass and do tree work, but only with the hand pruners. The saw stays in the garage.

A big factor is my attitude to the job. I was shocked one Sunday to come home and see John next door painting the trim on his house. As i thought about it, I figured they went to mass the night before. I think John's attitude toward painting is enough different than mine, that it was OK for him, but not for me.

Back