Worst chainsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly have to say the poulan 3314 strato... it really is a turd. I have played with them extensively and there really is not much room for improvement. They run terrible out of the box and even with carb adjustment it’s still a boggy stally mess haha.
every single one I have worked on had metering lever adjustment way out of whack, fixing it allowed for a reliable saw at least. But they really pack very little punch as notes by the full skip 14” 3/8 lopro...

their saving grace I suppose is their easability to work on, and their strong abs plastics.

For the 200$ CAD you can easily buy a non-clamshell craftsman and or champion saw which have amazing little engines. They also come with adjustable oilers and pack lots of room for improvement. There is also the ms180 but imo the champion and or craftsman coming with adjustable carbs and non clamshell for the same price are much better choices.

Lol, I forgot about that list. I need to update it. The 2 saws that have given me the most trouble getting repaired, which I only did for a challenge, were a Husqvarna 44 Special and a McCulloch 3818.

Those plastic McCullochs are like a puzzle from hell but I did trade a Husqvarna 445 for one because I hated the 445 that much.

That 445 was an underpowered pain in my ass.

I honestly have to say the poulan 3314 strato... it really is a turd. I have played with them extensively and there really is not much room for improvement. They run terrible out of the box and even with carb adjustment it’s still a boggy stally mess haha.
every single one I have worked on had metering lever adjustment way out of whack, fixing it allowed for a reliable saw at least. But they really pack very little punch as notes by the full skip 14” 3/8 lopro...

their saving grace I suppose is their easability to work on, and their strong abs plastics.

For the 200$ CAD you can easily buy a non-clamshell craftsman and or champion saw which have amazing little engines. They also come with adjustable oilers and pack lots of room for improvement. There is also the ms180 but imo the champion and or craftsman coming with adjustable carbs and non clamshell for the same price are much better choices.
I do NOT like these models at all. I much prefer the 2150 model. Easier to work on and tune. Those strato poulans are very failure prone.

Lol, I forgot about that list. I need to update it. The 2 saws that have given me the most trouble getting repaired, which I only did for a challenge, were a Husqvarna 44 Special and a McCulloch 3818.

Oh man...i have a 3818 that i garbage picked off the side of the road that i want to get running. Has spark and 150psi compression. It's leaking bar oil all over the place, i was told the oil line breaks. Are they really a POS to work on??

But hey, I fix Mini Macs all the time, challenge accepted!

The chicom clones, because thay're made of sub-quality parts and made in Chy-nah.

How could China clone all those Stihl and husky parts? They must of purchased all the older saw parts from Stihl and husky what was left. Then made some which they were sub quality.

I found huztl / farmtec on Facebook the guys there like the chino saws.

Oh man...i have a 3818 that i garbage picked off the side of the road that i want to get running. Has spark and 150psi compression. It's leaking bar oil all over the place, i was told the oil line breaks. Are they really a POS to work on??

Yes...Pull flywheel to change fuel lines unless you want to spend 2 hours with long needle nose. Oil pump is under the flywheel (WTH???) - long line to bar exit. Clutch isn't threaded to crank - usually works but weird.

Worst saw - 1990-2010 Homelite with hard plastic pull handle and RuiXing carb. Plastics so thin that you can see thru them. A/V like a bowl of jello.

Latest posts

Back