Worst firewood you’ve ever burnt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Husky Man
Incredible pics! :rock:
+1 for the flannel shirt :numberone:
Yeah, but I wasn’t following “Best Practices “ that day, my helmet and faceshield were around the corner at home, and this was Before this:
D14EAB86-7D4B-447D-96CC-8B17A27CADB4.jpeg59433458-B8BC-4053-8A91-737704DBAA12.jpeg
This happened cutting on a hillside, my footing wasn’t as solid as I thought it was, and the ground gave way under me, Husky Man got Dayumed Lucky 🍀 that day, we were 8 miles up a Forest Circus road, and several more miles up the highway from cell service. That didn’t even touch skin, didn’t leave a mark, but definitely could have been “Game Over” just a little differently. I now have and USE a proper pair of Chaps, not always the most comfortable, but STUPID not use, especially where we normally cut. I also now make a habit of having the truck and trailer turned around and headed the right direction to leave, in case we need to in a hurry. The Wife can drive the stick in the pickup, and is comfortable PULLING a trailer, but not so much in backing it, or turning it around on a narrow Forest Circus 🎪 road, something for others to consider as well, sometimes those minutes COUNT.
I also have a VHF Marine Band handheld radio for the boats, that I usually carry with me in the woods, not a LEGAL use, but it would work to talk to a Coast Guard helicopter in an emergency situation, and in those circumstances, I think that the FCC would give me a pass😉

Doug

Ya had to put your splitter down for that cookie.
I'll send my wife over ........ ;) ;) :surprised3: :surprised3:
If we’re bragging on our Wives, I’ll put my Wife’s fish up against that Bait in your avatar 😉😁
A270D5A4-C1A5-4D1E-A68A-5CC4C9CD0B6D.jpeg07D5FC8A-0BF3-42ED-8C9A-124D1EEEF070.jpeg
The Stepdaughter ( my Favorite Deckhand) is still trying to get her first Salmon, she doesn’t get to go very often, but she still wants her turn at pulling crab 🦀 pots060C250D-E6D8-4B86-A426-8894CF4B7D5F.jpeg
That is a respectable Dungeness she is holding

One of the few downsides to moving to the mountain, instead of an hour and a quarter to the ocean, it is now 2.5-3 hours each way depending on traffic, so we don’t get out fishing and crabbing as much ☹️

Doug

Yeah, but I wasn’t following “Best Practices “ that day, my helmet and faceshield were around the corner at home, and this was Before this:
View attachment 962445View attachment 962446
This happened cutting on a hillside, my footing wasn’t as solid as I thought it was, and the ground gave way under me, Husky Man got Dayumed Lucky 🍀 that day, we were 8 miles up a Forest Circus road, and several more miles up the highway from cell service. That didn’t even touch skin, didn’t leave a mark, but definitely could have been “Game Over” just a little differently. I now have and USE a proper pair of Chaps, not always the most comfortable, but STUPID not use, especially where we normally cut. I also now make a habit of having the truck and trailer turned around and headed the right direction to leave, in case we need to in a hurry. The Wife can drive the stick in the pickup, and is comfortable PULLING a trailer, but not so much in backing it, or turning it around on a narrow Forest Circus 🎪 road, something for others to consider as well, sometimes those minutes COUNT.
I also have a VHF Marine Band handheld radio for the boats, that I usually carry with me in the woods, not a LEGAL use, but it would work to talk to a Coast Guard helicopter in an emergency situation, and in those circumstances, I think that the FCC would give me a pass😉

Doug
Yea I had one close call like that working in brush. Now I always hit the chainbrake when not cutting and now I have chaps. I seen enough pics on here of guys lucky to be alive.

If we’re bragging on our Wives, I’ll put my Wife’s fish up against that Bait in your avatar 😉😁
View attachment 962470View attachment 962472
The Stepdaughter ( my Favorite Deckhand) is still trying to get her first Salmon, she doesn’t get to go very often, but she still wants her turn at pulling crab 🦀 potsView attachment 962473

One of the few downsides to moving to the mountain, instead of an hour and a quarter to the ocean, it is now 2.5-3 hours each way depending on traffic, so we don’t get out fishing and crabbing as much ☹️

Doug
its dinner time yum

@Husky Man
Incredible pics! :rock:
+1 for the flannel shirt :numberone:
The Wife enjoys going out wood cutting with me, enough that she themed her 50th Birthday 🎂 Party with a “Lumber Jill” theme
A6B4C390-09CD-4F0F-89AB-EB5C494BE9AF.jpeg
She Wanted (and Got) Her OWN Chainsaw for Christmas 2017.
I felt the Husky 445 was a Good Price/Power/Weight balance, I got some Strange looks, when she told Friends what she got for Christmas, She got some Strange Looks, when she told them, that is what she WANTED

DOUG

Different times back in the 70’s, but I must have been about 11, when Dad started letting me run his Mac SP60,
By14-15, I was taking the saw and 14’ boat out to get logs for our Bonfires when we were camping out on McGuire Island near our boathouse, and nobody thought anything about it

Doug

View attachment 962470View attachment 962472
The Stepdaughter ( my Favorite Deckhand) is still trying to get her first Salmon, she doesn’t get to go very often, but she still wants her turn at pulling crab 🦀 potsView attachment 962473

Doug
Most of my fish won't fit in the Avatar window..that one just fit....20150522_114606.jpg20160521_120852.jpg20170619_212608.jpg

We have a tree up here the locals call "bam" or "bambagilia"....I believe it is a hybrid poplar or maybe jack's hybrid. They grow about a 100 feet tall and then the top almost always falls off usually on someone's cabin or something. They are very wet inside when cut and never seem to dry out but rot instead. If you burn them they burn faster than cedar making little heat and leave a weeks worth of ashes with just one stove full. Cut down probably more than a hundred on my property over the years and still have huge piles that I should probably burn this year. I always believe God doesn't make anything without a purpose but failed to ever found any from this tree. This year my dislike for them turned to love when I realized after they die and fall down and rot for several years an incredible tasting mushroom named herricuum ramosum grows on them and one can easily gather 10 plus pounds in an hour or so.
The good Lord always has a purpose with his creations! Poplar is very good for matches and my father planted a lot here in the 1960s for the ever growing match industry. He told me that Bryant and May would pay me a fortune in the year 2000!
The Millenium came and a lot had stopped smoking and if they still did they used butane lighters. So I had all these Poplars looking for a home. I heard from a guy living in Oregon that there was a 120 year old Church there built in log cabin style from Poplar. So I went on a course with Dan Franklin from Woodenways in Devon and the result is on his website in cabin photos 1 and 3 withe the swans on the lake!

https://www.woodenways.com/log-cabins

I was going to say Linden, why I put in the work/time to split some to sell as campfire wood I don't know. I suppose because it beat just letting it lay around. I also mistook a boxelder for a hackberry last fall, bark sure looked like hackberry and there was very, very little red in it. Split probably 20 cu ft of it so we'll see. Wish I had more hard maple to burn.

You do know that Boxelder is a maple, right? Not the hardest, of course, but it still burns ok.

Cypress is a good bit stinky.....

Then, there was this time a square grouper showed up on the beach. Completely waterlogged, it was worthless, so we burned it later that evening with some driftwood, that also was a bit salt-y. You never can tell what species of wood it is when its barkless and has barnacles on it.....

Back