Worst Tree to Climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
I was going by thise pics http://images.google.com/images?sou...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQsAQwAw

Im not sure about the scientific name ,just what everybody calls them down here.:monkey:

There is only a few dozen of them here.

I do know with 100% certainty,they are a P.I.T.A. :cheers:

Wow those certainly do look similar the pics of his leaf did not show to be palmate. I wish I had about ten or twenty to bid on :lmfao: The info on Mabi seemed lacking mabi they don't want us to figure them out lol. I would love to do some reduction pruning on one of those specimens:monkey:

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Most of that you might as well have been speaking Chinese, but I have one question. In the first part of the description, does it say that it is a shrub or climbing vine? Because these tree's can get huge. I saw ones that were probably 60" DBH and 75'-90' tall. Thorns like that all the way up, although on the big one's the thorns were not as sharp on the large, lower part of the trunk. I'm going back down there in a week or so, I'll try to get some better pictures.

Most of it seems vague and even contradictory I could not find any decent pictures mature height info on these woody plants. Being the leaf and the fact they seemed to call it mabi when I searched this is what I found. Your pics did not show the leaf to be palmate as ozzy's tree but other characteristics did seem very similar. Did they make drinks from the tree's bark and use it for food and medicine seems to cure hangover from the use of alcohol!

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
Found this article on a large one here in sarasota.
They list it as a Bombax Ceiba (BOM-baks; SAY-buh)
Kapok Tree: Friend, Foe or Both?
By Don David Price
Who in the Sapphire Shores-Indian Beach neighborhood hasn’t seen the famous ‘Ringling’ Kapok Tree in full bloom with hundreds of red flowers ‘thudding’ noisily to the ground where they can be collected before being squashed under foot or by an errant car wheel?
The Kapok Tree, formally known as Bombax Ceiba (BOM-baks; SAY-buh) or informally as the Silk Cotton Tree, the Red Silk Cotton Tree or the Egyptian Cotton Tree, is from the Bombacaceae family. Kaypoks grow in height to over 40 feet and have been known to grow higher than 100 feet. Their best growing Sun exposure is direct, full Sun; the seed is poisonous if ingested; the bloom color is red-orange; and the bloom season is mid-Spring.
The Kapok Tree is native to India, Mexico, Southern China, Southeast Asia, South America and parts of tropical Africa. The Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, in Sarasota, has one; and John Ringling is said to have brought to Sarasota the one across from the New College Caples Center. Only a very few Kapok Trees are known to live in Sarasota, or anywhere in Florida for that matter. Now, two off-spring Kapok Trees are growing in the back yard at 5320 Eastchester Drive, where I live. This address is directly across Eastchester Drive from the Caples-Ringling Tree.
The off-springs are probably from root-growths coming out of the ground from across the street, but propagation is also known from seeds, large cuttings or by air layering.
Kevin Greene, the Ringling Museum Landscape Superintendent, says the Kapok tree was in place when he arrived in Sarasota, and that Museum staff members told him the tree was only 25 – 30 years old.

Google earth has a pic of it at 5320 Eastchester Drive, Sarasota Fl.

It's the big one in the median

Sunrise Guy

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Still not sure anyone has come up with the correct species for this monster. None of the descriptions fit the picture, when it comes to the thorned bark. I suppose this could be a practical joke, but I tend to doubt it since a few have weighed in that they've seen these trees around. Because of the unusual bark, I feel that when we get the correct species, you should be able to Google it and see many pictures of the bark. So far, there is only the picture here, of the thorned bark, and not one on Google under the species we have come up with.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Still not sure anyone has come up with the correct species for this monster. None of the descriptions fit the picture, when it comes to the thorned bark. I suppose this could be a practical joke, but I tend to doubt it since a few have weighed in that they've seen these trees around. Because of the unusual bark, I feel that when we get the correct species, you should be able to Google it and see many pictures of the bark. So far, there is only the picture here, of the thorned bark, and not one on Google under the species we have come up with.

Did you come up with the same one I did for mabi? It is likely the Islander common names are off but the leaves the op posted are not palmate like the similar species ozzy posted. It could be tropic species are not quite as well documented in google and my horticopia does not have any info on mabi or colubrina!

Sunrise Guy

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Think you may be on to it not mabi though right?

Yeah, maybe---heh-heh. Uh, right. Some trees have common names with the local folks, as we all know, that have nothing to do with what they actually are. Down here, Ashe Junipers are always called "Cedars'" by the locals.
Here's another pic of the dangerous tree:

Sunrise Guy

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
The bark looks similar but the leaves are not the same, and I assure you, it's no joke. These tree's are quite common in Haiti, or at least in the northern part of it anyway.

Please post some clear pictures of the leaves, where one can see the peculiar bark in the same picture, like a thicker, thorned branch with the leaves very clearly shown. I have a tough time believing that two different species have this type of bark, but I learn new things everyday. Also, since you are the one who started this post, it would be great if you can get the scientific name of your tree on here. Common names usually don't cut it, when it comes to researching a particular tree.

The Count

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Gleditsia triacanthos = fun to climb also

espinoso.jpg

Last edited:
Bearcreek
Please post some clear pictures of the leaves, where one can see the peculiar bark in the same picture, like a thicker, thorned branch with the leaves very clearly shown. I have a tough time believing that two different species have this type of bark, but I learn new things everyday. Also, since you are the one who started this post, it would be great if you can get the scientific name of your tree on here. Common names usually don't cut it, when it comes to researching a particular tree.

I'd love to bro. Unfortunately i'm back in Ohio right now and so can't go out back and take better pictures of the tree's. I was in Haiti working at medical clinics, orphanages and hospitals after the earthquake. Taking pictures and identifying trees was not really my focus. I guarantee the leaves in the one picture and the bark in the other are from the same tree. I'm not a botanist or even a certified arborist but I can tell which leaves are growing out of which tree. The only method that I know of to determine the scientific name of the tree is to do google searches. I've done that and it seems several others on here have as well and come up with varying answers. Hopefully when I go back I'll be able to get some better pics so that it'll be easier for ya'll to identify.