Worth Fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickboy12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure if I should even bother with this, however, my father....gave his saw to my brother-in-law. Since then it sits on a bench with a bunch of other crap. My "bro" says it needs a new bar. It's an old Jonsered 451E. One of the reasons I want to work on it is to get my hands on it and never give it back. I have been looking for ever to buy a saw but since I don't even have a wood burning stove, can't justify the expense. So, is this saw even worth the possible fight with my sisters husband?

Not sure if I should even bother with this, however, my father....gave his saw to my brother-in-law. Since then it sits on a bench with a bunch of other crap. My "bro" says it needs a new bar. It's an old Jonsered 451E. One of the reasons I want to work on it is to get my hands on it and never give it back. I have been looking for ever to buy a saw but since I don't even have a wood burning stove, can't justify the expense. So, is this saw even worth the possible fight with my sisters husband?

I wouldn't do it if it's going to cause any problems with family members, if you can find a way to do it without any hurt feelings I would do it.

If you want a cheap saw, I have a 36cc Craftsman w/14" B&C I'd be willing to let go of for $50 + S/H. It doesn't even need any work, runs perfect.

why not just ask him if you can fix/have it if your willing to buy the new bar etc.. If he hems and haws offer him a small fee.:cheers:

I feel stupid

I didn't even think of that. I will just ask him if I can have it if I flip the bill for the repairs. If I find out it will be too much for such an old saw I'll go out and get meself 353 or something.

The 451 isn't among the sexier Jonsereds - don't make any fuzz over it.....;)

451E

I like it, looks like it'd be a handy saw to have around. Damn you guys and making me a saw nut...anything that turns a chain and cuts wood is good in my head right now.

I like it, looks like it'd be a handy saw to have around. Damn you guys and making me a saw nut...anything that turns a chain and cuts wood is good in my head right now.

We dont belive you lol 370 posts and you dont have any Stihls, Huskys or Dolmars in your sig

I have a 451e it was my first saw and still runs great although my 025 will out cut it and is lighter! Whatever you do dont break the recoil spring! I cant get one and no one here seems to have come up with an alternative, Mine has been broken 5 times i just heat the end and bend it and hope for the best!

We dont belive you lol 370 posts and you dont have any Stihls, Huskys or Dolmars in your sig

It's hard when you are finishing a college degree, are trying to buy a house, don't have a reason to cut wood (other than for fun, no house = no wood stove or OWB yet), and already have too many toys (snowmobile, truck, motorcycle). That said, after I get a house and have either a woodstove or OWB, I'd like to get one or more of the following: Husqvarna 350, 353, Stihl 026/260, 270, 290, or Makita 6401. Or if I'm unlucky (and still poor) I'll get a Poulan Pro 295 or something, muffler mod it and call it good till I can afford more of a saw.

It's hard when you are finishing a college degree, are trying to buy a house, don't have a reason to cut wood (other than for fun, no house = no wood stove or OWB yet), and already have too many toys (snowmobile, truck, motorcycle). That said, after I get a house and have either a woodstove or OWB, I'd like to get one or more of the following: Husqvarna 350, 353, Stihl 026/260, 270, 290, or Makita 6401. Or if I'm unlucky (and still poor) I'll get a Poulan Pro 295 or something, muffler mod it and call it good till I can afford more of a saw.

Nah, you need a 361 and a 660!!!!! Then a 7900 and a 460...then.....:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back