Worth it? Ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
So I know someone who is selling a practically brand new ms660 with what looks to be a 28" bar and chain and an extra chain on top of it for 900.

The stickers date checks out it's 12/13 so only 7 months old. It's a homeowner who used it for one massive tree on his property and now has no use for it.

I'm pretty sure I can get a brand new one with a 36" bar and chain for 1100 cash from a dealer nearby. So that would come with a warranty but just seems like I should save the 200 and get the extra chain if it's practically brand new. Thoughts?

If it was me i would beat him up a little on the price if possible. i guess it also depends on the condition of the saw.

It's literally a saw that was run for a few days tops. Super clean too. I tried to work on the price and he's not going for it....

Got him to go down to 850 and purchased it today. Everything checked out on the saw. It was a homeowner who had a big tree on his property so he bought a brand new ms 660, used it twice, and had it in the garage for 2 weeks.

Came with the original bar and chain. Chain wasn't ever sharpened so was a lil dull but that was too be expected. Feel like I did good it's a brand new saw...

coll not bad pics? Go cut some wood enjoy be safe

I like this "homeowners" style. How many homeowners do you know that would buck up for a 660 and put a 28" chain on it? And still out what, about $400? He could have bought a decent used 038m or 044 and kept it.

Congrats on the saw. Seems like a pretty good buy. Not quite suckage. Hope it serves you well.

Edit: just saw the muff pic. No dual port? Time to open that baby up and let it breathe. No warranty issues to fret over.

Not bad at all i have had bars scuff paint off right out of the box. so you cant go by the bar. Maybe tim taylor had to sell becuase of the boss?

well i should also say this one had been sitting on shelf and i was cutting up a brig round of wood sycamore stump. All i have to say it may have taken a bit off the bar but that 660 owned it. You are right stihl bars hold paint well. This was a stihl bar 30 inch on a 660.

The bar is pretty clean honestly. It just had caked on dirt from not being cleaned and sitting. I said to him "I'm surprised you got a 660 with a 28", you could have easily gotten the 441" to which he replied "that's a farm saw". Pretty sure the stihl dealer convinced him he needed the 660.

The chain was dull as all hell too. He blatantly bought the saw with 2 chains and never even opened up the saw or new chain.

When you guys first fire up your saws, do you leave the chain brake on and rev it? Cause he rev'd it up when the break was on . I always have the break off and let it rev up on it's own for a little. Thought that was no good revving it with the break on but maybe I'm wrong.

And definitely not you suck worthy. Just a pretty good deal for both of us. I saved a few hundred bucks and got a saw that is basically brand new.

The bar is pretty clean honestly. It just had caked on dirt from not being cleaned and sitting. I said to him "I'm surprised you got a 660 with a 28", you could have easily gotten the 441" to which he replied "that's a farm saw". Pretty sure the stihl dealer convinced him he needed the 660.

The chain was dull as all hell too. He blatantly bought the saw with 2 chains and never even opened up the saw or new chain.

When you guys first fire up your saws, do you leave the chain brake on and rev it? Cause he rev'd it up when the break was on . I always have the break off and let it rev up on it's own for a little. Thought that was no good revving it with the break on but maybe I'm wrong.

What happened when he revved it up with the brake on??? How long did he rev it?

I'm pretty sure doing that will grenade the brake or clutch if done for a long enough time.

Congrats on the nice saw!
JohnG

Latest posts

Back