Worth it to go to a 346xp top end on a 350?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the correct size piston is used the heat transfer works. When the piston is too small the heat transfer doesn’t work and we get less compression. The reason the castiron and chrome bores were switched to nickasil for better heat transfer and air cooling.
How many jug letter sizes were there with the three series Huskies? Pick a model. On the IPL for the model you choose what were the different letter size piston part numbers?

Ordered a cheaper nikasil 45mm kit just to compare to the old parts and see how the quality is.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

In all its no brand chinese glory...

Well yeah but it wouldn't be interesting if 8 bought oem [emoji38]

Eh its about half the hyway kit cost even on sale today. Im interested to see the fit and finish on it.

I mean shoot ive built some saws for people on a super tight budget with parts sketchy enough i make them sign a waver saying if it fails due to the crappy parts they were warned...and,i havent had a saw come back broken yet due to a parts defect even 5 or 6 years on. Im talking about like...17 dollar 044 kits, stuff id never consider buying if it wasnt for folks needing a bargain basement overhaul. I look forward to this kit showing up and measuring the bits and pieces.

Its all fun for me, free saw in otherwise good shape.

You should go back and edit your first post. People might be thinking you wanted to do a legit build...
So if its not the kit you suggest, then its not a "legit build"? Okay...

I never hinted at doing a concours level restoration or building a modded up saw. I asked about the 346 kit and then things got muddied up by it being an epa saw with a 353 cylinder and low compression piston. Yall went off on changing carbs and intakes and boots and all this stuff which, i guess if that's your thing...spending over 100 bucks on intake stuff then sure. But..45 bucks, it goes back together, if it runs, great. I don't have any trees...i don't even need a saw, but people sometimes need to borrow one. Hell a decade ago i had 38 running saws and the same amount of trees[emoji1]

Making people sign a ****ing waiver to buy a saw I build would make me stop building saws.
Its the area...never really recovered after Ivan in 04. People buy saws from pawn shops for 50 bucks with scorched top ends and then go around shop to shop to find the cheapest build.

It helps people, they get to cut firewood either by necessity or to make some extra money. I dont turn out any bad work, the waiver albeit rarely used, is more or less a way to try and get them to a better rebuild kit. Ill go to the dealer and buy oem stihl or Husqvarna, or echo...the labor is the same. Its just the quality of the parts can be bad. That said i havent come across any cheap parts yet that were out of spec. I did a 455 Rancher that the plug threads were tight, i chased them and had only a few fine slivers on the tap...but other than that nothing that stands out from a qc stand point.

I mean shoot ive built some saws for people on a super tight budget with parts sketchy enough i make them sign a waver saying if it fails due to the crappy parts they were warned...and,i havent had a saw come back broken yet due to a parts defect even 5 or 6 years on. Im talking about like...17 dollar 044 kits, stuff id never consider buying if it wasnt for folks needing a bargain basement overhaul. I look forward to this kit showing up and measuring the bits and pieces.

Its all fun for me, free saw in otherwise good shape.

So if its not the kit you suggest, then its not a "legit build"? Okay...

I never hinted at doing a concours level restoration or building a modded up saw. I asked about the 346 kit and then things got muddied up by it being an epa saw with a 353 cylinder and low compression piston. Yall went off on changing carbs and intakes and boots and all this stuff which, i guess if that's your thing...spending over 100 bucks on intake stuff then sure. But..45 bucks, it goes back together, if it runs, great. I don't have any trees...i don't even need a saw, but people sometimes need to borrow one. Hell a decade ago i had 38 running saws and the same amount of trees[emoji1]

It helps people, they get to cut firewood either by necessity or to make some extra money. I dont turn out any bad work, the waiver albeit rarely used, is more or less a way to try and get them to a better rebuild kit. Ill go to the dealer and buy oem stihl or Husqvarna, or echo...the labor is the same. Its just the quality of the parts can be bad. That said i havent come across any cheap parts yet that were out of spec. I did a 455 Rancher that the plug threads were tight, i chased them and had only a few fine slivers on the tap...but other than that nothing that stands out from a qc stand point.

Cool. Good luck with the build.

Let us know how it turns out. Pics of the cyl would be nice.

I purchased one of those Lowe's saws you mentioned back in 08 from a local dealer who was handling their returns in the area. It looked new, and I saved a good bit. It's been a dandy - even survived my first porting job.

There’s a whole working 346 Xperia’s for sale on this site,
might be better to keep your own saw for parts.

The top end kit arrived, the machining on both looked to me to be nice, it has 2 thin rings vs one thick ring, the pins were spaced right and otherwise unremarkable. The provided circlips didnt fit well but the oem clips fit perfectly. Lubed it up and assembled...the much hated plastic intake boot clamp was a snug fit like oem..no slop or looseness.

3rd pull it fired up and settled into a nice idle, after about 30 seconds i increased speed and let it fully warm up...then made some cuts in what i had on hand. Compression is great, very snappy and the decomp works like it should. I removed the muffler and had a look around..no signs of any issues.

Should make a fine truck saw for under 50 bucks. The new stuff physically matched the dimensions of what came off of it..45mm bore and the ports were chamfered well. Im very happy with it.

Back