Worth selling one log?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakotalawdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a beautiful, 180 year old white oak come down on my property the other day. It was on a slope and the roots rotted out. The top branches were dry - I cut them for firewood. Usually, I cut whatever comes down for firewood, but this is such a large tree, I thought it might be smarter to try to sell this one. The trunk appears to be in great shape. It is 36" in diameter and about 14' long.

My neighbor said there were a couple guys around here who do buy individual logs and gave me a couple numbers to call. Has anyone sold individual logs before, or is there anything else I should know before I call? Anyone have a ROUGH estimate of what I might expect from something like this? I realize there are a lot of variables involved.

I am totally new to this and trying to learn all I can, so no advice you give will be considered trivial. Worst case scenario I add it to my firewood pile.

View attachment 296621

The only people that would probably be interested in it will be someone wanting to saw it for lumber. You may get lucky and get a good offer on it. If not it's probably going to be worth more as firewood.

The only people that would probably be interested in it will be someone wanting to saw it for lumber. You may get lucky and get a good offer on it. If not it's probably going to be worth more as firewood.

I got similar here .......It will be easier and less hassle to drop and break it for firewood and worth a whole lot more too lol

it gives you a reason to buy an alaska mill now :msp_thumbsup:

x2. A chain saw mill will let you cut it where it is, but you'll soon be looking for other logs to mill up. Then you'll need a bigger chain saw, a bigger truck, tractor, band saw mill...

The tree looks like it should have good lumber in it, but the work to get it out of the woods is probably more than it is worth, if you are looking at it strictly from a financial angle.

Who are the buyers (market) there? What is the wood worth?

How far to the nearest road?

How far to where it would be milled up?

What would be needed to get it from the ground to the truck? What size equipment?

What is the availability of the equipment? How far away is the equipment? We call this move in-move out costs.

How does the buyer want it bucked up? Was it a yard tree? Any nails in it?

Those are the questions you need to ask locally. Your log is worthless unless there is a market for it. There are some niche markets in our area. But you have to know where those buyers are.

Thanks guys. My neighbor is actually cutting white oak right now to make some flooring, he has a guy coming in with a portable mill, so we worked out a trade for the equivalent load of firewood. He gets the log and I get firewood without having to cut or split it.

Thanks guys. My neighbor is actually cutting white oak right now to make some flooring, he has a guy coming in with a portable mill, so we worked out a trade for the equivalent load of firewood. He gets the log and I get firewood without having to cut or split it.

Nice one your sorted .....all happy that way

Latest posts

Back