Would like to try carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys,

1st time visit to this side of AS.

I've thought about this many times before. I love the idea of chainsaw carving.

I fix plenty saws, but I've never tried to carve.

What saw, bar chain setup should I look to start with? I'm not looking for the ultimate carving saw/setup, hell I'd be happy if I could make a reasonable garden mushroom for the wife at this point.

I buy and sell saws on ebay as a leisure time hobby, so what I have and what I might have is pretty flexible.

I tend to stick with Stihl, cause I'm getting used to working on them and I have a reliable parts supplier for them.

At the moment the smallest I have is an 026. I also have an 028, an 041 and a Contra. I have other bits and pieces knocking about like a little Jonsered 2036 in need of work. The most obvious candidate is the 026 for me. Can I set this saw up and get cracking on some basic stuff/shapes?

All advice is welcome at this point.

Dan

Last edited:
Last edited:
Carving setup

Hi Dan

You don't need a special carving bar setup for carving mushrooms. Just take your 026 and get started. The easiest way to carve a mushroom is to start with the bottom - take a log carve out the bottom, turn it upside down and carve the top.
I've been carving for the last 12 years and the first 5 years I just had my ordinary Husqvarna 154sg very similar to your 026 by the way.
Of cause you can do some very fine detailing with a carving bar and a modified 1/4 pitch chain but you can also do a lot with a stock chainsaw.

I did this horse years ago before I even heard of carving bars. This is 100% chainsaw Husqvarna 154sg 15" bar .325 stock chain.

Niels

Some of the best carvers I know started out with a regular B&C, just alot safer with the carving set up, go have fun!

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll report back once I've had a dabble.

one dabble is all it takes.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll report back once I've had a dabble.

the troutfisher casted a line of white pine at me and thats all it took, I was hooked for sure . carvin is awsome! you find yourself staring at trees alot,thinkin yup i know what that could be. HaveFun! Iknow i do!:) :) :chainsaw:

Hi Dan

You don't need a special carving bar setup for carving mushrooms. Just take your 026 and get started. The easiest way to carve a mushroom is to start with the bottom - take a log carve out the bottom, turn it upside down and carve the top.
I've been carving for the last 12 years and the first 5 years I just had my ordinary Husqvarna 154sg very similar to your 026 by the way.
Of cause you can do some very fine detailing with a carving bar and a modified 1/4 pitch chain but you can also do a lot with a stock chainsaw.

I did this horse years ago before I even heard of carving bars. This is 100% chainsaw Husqvarna 154sg 15" bar .325 stock chain.

Niels

thats a really good horse for being 100% chainsaw!! rock on dude!! how long did that take you to carve?

Thank you Kelli

Yes its amazing what a chainsaw can do

Back