would this be apple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I think its what I call a Swamp White Oak.

uercus macrocarpa, the Bur oak, sometimes spelled Burr oak, is a species of oak in the white oak section Quercus sect. Quercus, native to North America in the eastern and midwestern United States and south-central Canada. This plant is also called Mossycup oak and Mossycup white oak.
It occurs from the Appalachian Mountains w
Maybe...
We got a few big mossy cups here..
That tree was a young one..
Branches fit the bill for horizontal and lotsa bends...

As others have said it is oak, I am with those who say it is swamp white oak. Has a nice branch structure on it, that could be a nice tree when it grows bigger.

bark picture of wild pear tree
wild_pear_1.jpg

It's an oak. Looks like swamp white oak. Is it growing in a low area with lots of soil moisture?

not really (for the soil moisture) I haven't seen them in the summer, so I have no clue as to what type of leaves were on them, or if anything was on the ground near them because there are a couple of inches of snow. they are being dug out and laid over on their sides so I can cut them up. they guy is clearing this section of land out to rent to a local farmer. the owner gives me exclusive cutting rights and I can take as much as I want whenever I want.

like I said the stuff is very heavy and it dulled my chain after cutting up just two trees. i'll be going back tomorrow and i'll take some close ups of the bark and if I get a chance i'll split a log and post those pictures.

I just don't want to spend all my time cutting up some garbage tree. there are also tons of ash trees there piled up, but I have so much of that now I'm getting sick of ash...lol

not really (for the soil moisture) I haven't seen them in the summer, so I have no clue as to what type of leaves were on them, or if anything was on the ground near them because there are a couple of inches of snow. they are being dug out and laid over on their sides so I can cut them up. they guy is clearing this section of land out to rent to a local farmer. the owner gives me exclusive cutting rights and I can take as much as I want whenever I want.

like I said the stuff is very heavy and it dulled my chain after cutting up just two trees. i'll be going back tomorrow and i'll take some close ups of the bark and if I get a chance i'll split a log and post those pictures.

I just don't want to spend all my time cutting up some garbage tree. there are also tons of ash trees there piled up, but I have so much of that now I'm getting sick of ash...lol

My vote for WIW is bur oak. proper limb structure, heavy dense wood and the scraggly bark. Good BTU wood. You won't be disappointed. May not like the hand splitting but...;) it's young and hasn't had the time to twist and gnarl as much as the 100 year old ones..:)

@mga it sounds like you may be becoming a wood snob :eek:, passing on ash, if you don't like the way the oak eats chains you won't like the way it splits by hand either, especially after working with good ash. I wish I had access to all the ash your passing up to work up that gnarly bur oak. :chop:But at any rate enjoy!

My vote for WIW is bur oak. proper limb structure, heavy dense wood and the scraggly bark. Good BTU wood. You won't be disappointed. May not like the hand splitting but...;) it's young and hasn't had the time to twist and gnarl as much as the 100 year old ones..:)

@mga it sounds like you may be becoming a wood snob :eek:, passing on ash, if you don't like the way the oak eats chains you won't like the way it splits by hand either, especially after working with good ash. I wish I had access to all the ash your passing up to work up that gnarly bur oak. :chop:But at any rate enjoy!

lol...a wood snob...I like that.

nah, I cut the ash up and keep it as well. I just don't like to have all of one kind of wood.

Does it have thorns?

no thorns.....but, I do believe it's oak. I just split this by hand and it has that "oak barrel" smell. what was confusing is why were so many planted in neat rows? that lead me to believe they were some kind of fruit tree.
here's the pics I just took:

IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0567.JPG

Back