Would this be worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a n old International Harvester steel wagon for behind a lawn tractor/ATV. You know the ones...about 4x3 bed with 12" sides. Dump bed. Its old, my dad gave it to me. It still is in fine shape but rusty, and i rolled it and twisted the hitch all around. I took it to a shop and had them weld a much beefier pin hitch on it (1/2" plate) and it looks great. Last night I was going to paint the new steel and decided to take it apart and start wire wheeling some of the real rusty areas. I got the 2 main supports (from axle to bed) done and primed them then I thought...I wonder what it would cost to have someone sand blast the whole thing and paint it. Any one have any idea what that would cost? Would it be worth it? Its built a lot better than the ones you can get at TSC or whatever, and its in good shape other than surface rust. Im guessing its about 25-30 years old...Im 29 and I remember him using it my entire life.

I thought it would be pretty cool to do a little restore and put a new IH decal on it. I thought about doing it myself...but man Im not a metal worker. And what a pain with a wire wheel and flap disc. Just from the small parts I did my garage was filled with dust and Im still tasting it.

I would think it's worth it if only for sentimental reasons. Don't really know what the cost would be but you said yourself it's in good shape...so why not get another 25 or so years out of it? A small project like that might get you geared up to try bigger and better things. A little hard work's good for a young'un like you...!:cheers::chainsaw:

Ok, my next question if i do end up and just doing it. It wouldnt be that bad...but I obviously dont have a sandblaster. Whats the best way to remove rust/paint where you cant get an angle grinder to? And a Dremel wont cut it.

Spray it down with concrete cleaner(purple stuff) power wash at a car wash and after it dries, spray with some of the Eastwood rust converter black, stuff neutralizes rust and gives you a great primed surface that lasts for years. I do restorations on the side and for a fast good job, the above will give you years of service.

Back