Would you climb this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last edited:
So would you? It's 6' in dbh, split all the way through the trunk and down into the root flare. Someone install a chain about 30' up, I don't think it is helping the problem. About half the tree has to be rigged the other half can be bombed. I'm pretty confident I can though I would like to hear some feedback from the experts.

View attachment 272378View attachment 272379View attachment 272380View attachment 272381

I wouldn't climb it (that's just me wanting to live and climb a little while longer) if it splits one way or the other if your in it you will go for a ride and consequences won't be nice. I know you are a very skilled arborist and will make a wise safe decision unlike some on here. You can trim off all the lower limbs, then strap it, murph it to the north of the picture looks like lots of room. Tie off to that big tree down yonder and pull it. Or rent a lift and cut and bomb everything. Doesn't look that tall, just broad. Is it a silver maple? Can't get the pics to open bigger. They tend to split like that. Have you got the job already or bidding on it? Adding a lift won't add that much to the job and speed things up. That's my 2 cents:msp_w00t:

Last edited:
Wrap that rascal with two or three 10k binding straps in optimum locations and she should be good to go. I would even rig off of it but would stay rope climbing tied into the strongest side and remove limbs in such a fashion that if the weak side were to go that I would not be caught by limbs of the falling side keeping a quick hand on my lanyard snap.

attachment.php

Ok I couldn't get the pics larger on my phone but that may work as well Del. i would hit it with the bucket or lift if it was me anyhow. Plywood/alturna mat it to drive across, ground looks pretty firm. Just do it the safest and most efficient way you can NCTREE

Last edited:
Why does it have to be rigged? If equipment access is bad, then I'd say go small and use some straps and chain.

I really don't think any ratchet strap will keep that tree together, maybe some big thick ass chain but not a strap. I have another idea; each side has one central leader that extends up pretty straight. I think if I set a block in each leader at about the same height then dig-zag a few blocks down the two leaders and rig off them then the angles of the blocks should pull the two halves together when i'm roping.

I really don't think any ratchet strap will keep that tree together, maybe some big thick ass chain but not a strap. I have another idea; each side has one central leader that extends up pretty straight. I think if I set a block in each leader at about the same height then dig-zag a few blocks down the two leaders and rig off them then the angles of the blocks should pull the two halves together when i'm roping.

Do you really think a chain is stronger then a trucker ratchet strap. What type of tree is that anyway a bloodgood maple, looks like its no more then 35' tall. That split didn't happen overnight she'll hold up. Climb halfway up(15') and bombs away.

Curious, she's standing and living. Not dead and rotting. Climb away. You'll be removing load. I'ld be inclined to work in a circle and try and keep the stress evenly distributed. Bomb as much as possible, natty crotch everything else from the top, and like what was said NO SHOCK.

My nephews would have that thing forted out by now. ;o)

I would diffidently strap it, and put a chain around it. Could you vertically speedline it? I beat its stronger then it looks, but I wouldn't catch no big pieces on it. The zig zag thing could work. Good idea.

Just ratchet strap it 2-3 times up the split (near the top) and one higher up on two large ones. One trucker strap could lift that whole tree.

One Nasty Gash

Lots of good comments...I'd chain it,or strap it, then put a temporary cable in it..( cobra,or rope and come-along) up higher in the tree. The more mechanics holding the tree together, the less #### in the pants!

Start rigging small and go from there.

Go make some saw dust Homie!

if you place them where they have been suggested and tighten them on after the other then back to the first one and so on I think you will be surprised how much they help. I'd climb it but wouldnt rig off it. Im only 145 so i could climb a toothpick if it were tall enough

Funny how a few people can't tell it's an Oak. Guess smartphones make it look different....

I believe you have some good strength left in that tree, looks nice and healthy besides the crack. Obviously, start small and see how it goes. React as you see fit. A crane would be great for that tree, especially if it's a full removal!

Just 6 in. dbh... cut the ####er down (mods will censor that). Push it over by hand. Why are you posting this? Is it 87 ft, tall, leaning over a glass walled gazebo harboring rare rain forest orchids and a Chihoolee sculpture or something?

Oh yea, I've had five shots of Wild Turkey, don't mind me:msp_biggrin:

Just 6 in. dbh... cut the ####er down (mods will censor that). Push it over by hand. Why are you posting this? Is it 87 ft, tall, leaning over a glass walled gazebo harboring rare rain forest orchids and a Chihoolee sculpture or something?

Oh yea, I've had five shots of Wild Turkey, don't mind me:msp_biggrin:

Hey man not for nothing but it looks a little more iffy then that little leaner you want to pull over into the wires.

"Zig-Zag" - That's an interesting concept and sounds like a good way to "zipper" a tree like that up securely. One could thread a rope through a couple pulleys set on each side to a GCRS, crank it up and lock it off while you work the tree.
Along with ratchet binders you would be in fine shape. But I think if you just put binders in you would see slack in them once you got a limb or two off. It is amazing that all that is holding a tree like that up is the buttress roots.

I have the tie it up, climb, and wack it opinion.

However, you do have to be confident in the tree or you won't be focused on the task at hand and be more likely to screw something else up. Plus who wants to be tense all day? This is a big oak, lots of weight, lots of bad things COULD happen.

Here are some pics of a big locust I strapped (I'll post them later -- on another computer). I gave the job to a guy I knew with a bucket because I was just starting out and did not have the confidence to climb it and rig it down, in addition to it being split to the ground and breathing in a slight breeze! While making a weird dying animal sound that the client tried to imitate for me on the phone:msp_tongue:

Back