Would you guy's take this tree down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, so used to everyone wanting to cut them down I just instantly respond this way!!!

I would encourage the cabling, or have an arborist come and look at it.
It's so hard to tell with just a few pictures, I have no idea how deep the inclusion really is. No idea if the bark is getting loose, is the tree starting to die off. Was this a lightning strike that will continue to get worse, etc............

No sweat man. The thing is the bark is good and the tree is perfectly healthy from outside appearance besides the hollow in the split and I don't believe this is a lightning strike but I could be wrong on that. I would say the roots and the top are in excellent shape. My thought is that the split will worsten (become longer and wider) with water seeping in and freezing. With how much it is open it seems to me this will happen quikly because it looks like it can hold a decent amount of moisture. I don't usually obsess over trees this bad, but this one is so nice and in my yard. I am supprised, so far no votes for a hazard tree takedown.

I don't worry that much about water sitting, I think a lot more is made of it than is really a problem. That is of course a personal opinion.
If the bark is tight and loosening, there is likely no rot or decaying in the inclusion, that is good.
I have seen a lot worse stand for years, but not with buildings under them. You can leave it alone and watch it, or as I said have someone come out and look at it, I didn't look to see where you are at, but there might be a member here close enough to come and advise you?

I don't worry that much about water sitting, I think a lot more is made of it than is really a problem. That is of course a personal opinion.
If the bark is tight and loosening, there is likely no rot or decaying in the inclusion, that is good.
I have seen a lot worse stand for years, but not with buildings under them. You can leave it alone and watch it, or as I said have someone come out and look at it, I didn't look to see where you are at, but there might be a member here close enough to come and advise you?

Yeah, I will just brace it up and lighten it a little. I believe this is called a crown reduction? I am a "tree technician" (only because JPS said I was :), here I thought I was an arborist :cry: ) so I can handle that myself. Other than that I will just keep my eye on it like you said. I put it in the homeowner forum to get a feel for what you guys would tell a homeowner in my situation. I guess cable it seems to be the verdict. Thanks.

i'd check the sherrill catalog.

they carry more emodern types of bracing and they aren't cable.they also have new hooks for cables.i'd keep the tree but i like oaks.

If you start lightly thinning and/or reducing only the smaller side of the crown you will reduce the risk of it splitting in the short term, and if you continue for a decade or so the tree will reach a point where the other side contains maybe 90% of the foliage (this is heavily dependent on growing conditions, of course). The smaller side could then be removed, and eventually the tree would grow over the split. Don't take too much though, or cut the branch at the trunk too soon. White oak is slow growing, and the tree has already been pruned, possibly too much already (it looks pretty sparce).

Much included bark weak union, hazard if failed all come in to play
and I would probably use it for firewood if it were mine. It is close to
carport and is already identified a a weak attachment and if it had
proper care twenty years prior would be ok! I would be gone with it
and plant a nice one further away from potential targets.

"I am supprised, so far no votes for a hazard tree takedown."

Arboristsite has evolved, then toward...arboriculture?

Much included bark weak union, hazard if failed all come in to play
and I would probably use it for firewood if it were mine. It is close to
carport and is already identified a a weak attachment and if it had
proper care twenty years prior would be ok! I would be gone with it
and plant a nice one further away from potential targets.

O dang I spoke too soon; must be a cold night in AR. :mad: :chainsaw: :angry2:

"I am supprised, so far no votes for a hazard tree takedown."

Arboristsite has evolved, then toward...arboriculture?

O dang I spoke too soon; must be a cold night in AR. :mad: :chainsaw: :angry2:

Look, saving dangerous trees is not what arborculture should be.
I would cut the tree in my own yard and recommend it in a customers
yard in the spot it is in! It seems to be standing alone and prone to
wind and with a weak structure and a possibility of life and almost
certainty of property damage! I am not a tree hugger I will care for
them but not if they are defective with potentially deadly results.

Back