Would you keep this piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could the shiny shiny specks near the top be bits of bearing causing this? rinse out the crankcase with solvent and check the wash with a magnet for particles from the bearings.

Yeah I've seen that too. We had a run of brand new 460s back around 2001 that were so bad we were having to take new saws off the shelf, pop the jugs,
and chamfer the intake and the bottom of the transfers by hand. Stihl reimbursed us for the labor under warranty.

That or embedded carbon from detonation.

I think these cylinders I have are from that time frame, does not bother me much as I port each one before using them but if they were put in by someone that don`t port then they would do some damage to the pistons.

I'd be putting in a new Meteor. By the time rings got shipped here (Canukistan), may just as well have a piston in the box too and keep the old one as a spare or vise versa.

Steve

I'd use that piston in a heartbeat.
I would buy pistons that are worse than that.
Clean the saw REALLY well especially all carbon from the cylinder.
Buy a new set of rings and don't look back.

Mike

What was compression before pulling it?

I have one that is 100% worse! Pulling 152lbs.
Ya, the chance is there, but it is a tool.

Be on the safe side, buy a new saw. LOL!

What was compression before pulling it?

I have one that is 100% worse! Pulling 152lbs.
Ya, the chance is there, but it is a tool.

Be on the safe side, buy a new saw. LOL!

Well I guess if I was building a top fuel engine for John Force, I might not use it.
In a chainsaw that I use weekly I absolutely would.
In a saw that I'm only gonna use occasionally..................are you kidding?

I guess I need to get on the salvage lists of some around here:laugh:

Mike

So…..if the piston measures with in specs…… ie….not too loose in the cylinder…it’s the rings that do the sealing against the cylinder. Granted, the rings need a good groove to seal in the piston. That piston with good ring(s) should be just fine. Am I missing anything here?

I agree….a new saw would be the REALLY safe move! LoL!

Need a photo of the piston from the bottom to compare skirt wear.

Using the photos provided I would clean it up and use it as long as the very botton of the skirts is not to thin.

Index the skirts and crown with a razor blade to check for high spots and figure out why it got so hot.

C'mon guys, quibbling over a $40 piston & rings in a $600 saw ?? even if it is only used occasionally why would you "cheap-out" when the saw is torn down already ??

Steve

What does the cylinder look like? Is there carbon buildup around the exhaust?

Yep:

attachment.php

Need a photo of the piston from the bottom to compare skirt wear.

Using the photos provided I would clean it up and use it as long as the very botton of the skirts is not to thin.

Index the skirts and crown with a razor blade to check for high spots and figure out why it got so hot.

Bottom looks fine (to me):

attachment.php

Add me to the list of folks saying find out why the piston got scratched up, regardless if you clean it up & re-ring it, or go with a new piston.

Latest posts

Back