Would you run this???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poleman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi all!! Looking for some advice. A friend of mine Friday had a bad day and ran over his Husky 570 which has a 576 top end on it. It was his FAVORITE saw and he is just sick about it.

Post accident autopsy: case and tank are intact, cracked clutch side cover, broken handle bar, couple of tweeked AV mounts, and some broken fins on the cylinder. He doesn't feel he should run it with broken fins. All other damage can be repaired and I saw run it.

What is every ones thoughts on this? Yes it can be run or no put a new top end on it? Looking for the experience and knowledge of all you wiser saw guru's.View attachment 306575View attachment 306576View attachment 306577

Thanks Brad!! I told him it was on the flywheel side and I didn't think it would be a problem. The saw DID start and run as it did before the accident.

Worst case, the saw gets hot and scores, you'll be swapping cylinders anyway.

That is a lot of fin area missing, but I'd run it till it dies, then replace the top end. Call it testing, and let us know how long it runs that way!

Right about now it would be cool to have a tig welder and the knowledge to fab some fins back on.I remember a thread where someone welded some fins back on but not sure who it was. My BIL dropped a log on his 260PRO and broke two fins off. Its been a year and its still running.:msp_wink:

Ive ran a few 372 and 385 cyls with at least that many fins missing and no problems yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Right about now it would be cool to have a tig welder and the knowledge to fab some fins back on.I remember a thread where someone welded some fins back on but not sure who it was. My BIL dropped a log on his 260PRO and broke two fins off. Its been a year and its still running.:msp_wink:

hopefully u kept broke off fins, id do it if we were closer...

I don't think that is a 576 Cylinder. There is a difference in the way the lower transfers are designed bw a 570/575 and a 576. They will mate up but do not make good power.

I have welded fins back on. It will need to be a good weld as a chainsaw produces a good bit of vibration.

I would run it as-is unless he has the fins. If so, find a good welder and get them glued back on.

I have a 570 cylinder that should clean up just fine if he is interested.

If he really likes it THAT much, I suggest that he keep and run this 'un as it is and meanwhile be looking for a deal on a nice replacement, so this will be the rougher-use saw and the other will be the flagship, and more likely to stay that way......

I'm with the group consensus here -- if it's already shot, you already have to replace it, right? Might as well run it and see if there's any life left in it first. Even eating a piston is no biggie; it's the cylinder thats costs the cash to replace.

Latest posts

Back