Would you sign up to do a hack job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
https://nypost.com/2021/06/24/petty-neighbor-chops-tree-in-half-in-noisy-bird-dispute/
fir tree severed in half

No:
A) in Ohio, a neighbor can prune to the property line if it is not detrimental to the tree.
B) I tell any client that wants a neighbor tree pruned "I will only do it with their permission. Yes, you have the right, but I'm not interested in being part of a neighborly war."
I had a call like that years ago where a landlord wanted a tree cut down in front of a restaurant just for spite ,it was a beautiful tree and all decorated with lights and everything. I did not cut the Tree down but made friends with the restaurant proprietor . I made over15 grand from him since then from cutting trees at his house on the river. Pays to do the right thing at times.

I think this is highly circumstantial. For instance, I have a large tree row, just in the neighbors side if the property line, two of the trees jeep dropping limbs, resulting in thousands of dollars in damages to my roof over the years. I have offered several times to trim/hire a licensed arborist to come and trim the trees back, hes constantly said no to my offer. The town ship has given me their blessing to trim to the property line, so long as I don't kill the trees. (They are dieing already, so I doubt I'd do much damaged to them) there are 3 other trees leaning towards the house, one of which will land right on top of our bedroom, more Likely end up in our bedroom. As far as I'm concerned the entire tree should go, and even trimming the branches won't stop the rest of it coming down. I'd really like to get the Pettibone in and cut the trunk off at the line. Being friendly and diplomatic has gotten me nowhere. Currently waiting on the certified letter from my insurance company to be received by the neighbors. Then it's game on the next thing that hits my roof. 4 new roofs in 7 years from tree damage not caused by my trees is about stupid.

one of which will land right on top of our bedroom, more Likely end up in our bedroom. As far as I'm concerned the entire tree should go
I dont think I would care much what the laws in your area are, id have the tree removed, if its going to cause property damage to such a great extent you should have a right to resolve the issue at hand

look into it, have the city take a look at it, you may get permission from them to remove the tree if its such high risk

I dont think I would care much what the laws in your area are, id have the tree removed, if its going to cause property damage to such a great extent you should have a right to resolve the issue at hand

look into it, have the city take a look at it, you may get permission from them to remove the tree if its such high risk
I have the townships blessing, they just won't put it in writing. Hence going through the insurance company, and possibly a lawyer if need be. I've been assured after the certified letter get delivered, any more damage incurred my insurance company will bring a law suite against him/his insurance.

I have the townships blessing, they just won't put it in writing. Hence going through the insurance company, and possibly a lawyer if need be. I've been assured after the certified letter get delivered, any more damage incurred my insurance company will bring a law suite against him/his insurance.
sounds like a plan

A very wise man I knew (former VP at PNC) told me more than once "If it isn't written down it didn't happen".
Sounds like your township supervisors are a lot like ours. Tell you what you want to hear but nothing in writing to back it up.
The insurance company letter sounds like the correct route. They're on your side as they have a vested interest.

I think this is highly circumstantial. For instance, I have a large tree row, just in the neighbors side if the property line, two of the trees jeep dropping limbs, resulting in thousands of dollars in damages to my roof over the years. I have offered several times to trim/hire a licensed arborist to come and trim the trees back, hes constantly said no to my offer. The town ship has given me their blessing to trim to the property line, so long as I don't kill the trees. (They are dieing already, so I doubt I'd do much damaged to them) there are 3 other trees leaning towards the house, one of which will land right on top of our bedroom, more Likely end up in our bedroom. As far as I'm concerned the entire tree should go, and even trimming the branches won't stop the rest of it coming down. I'd really like to get the Pettibone in and cut the trunk off at the line. Being friendly and diplomatic has gotten me nowhere. Currently waiting on the certified letter from my insurance company to be received by the neighbors. Then it's game on the next thing that hits my roof. 4 new roofs in 7 years from tree damage not caused by my trees is about stupid.
For years now I've believed trees near objects such as buildings and power lines should come under a new law which has not been written as far as I know of here in Louisiana.. In fact I've contacted political leaders and NO ONE has the nerve to write the "Threatening TREE law"..It would read similar to this.
IF a land owner or power company or anyone who may be harmed or experience any type of damage or loss , directly or in directly, caused by a tree or any of it's parts, including but not limited to: limbs, leaves, spread of fungus, or other harmful thing to those located near by including the shading of plants in a garden producing food, which said offending tree has beforehand been reported to the landowner or person responsible for the tree and or the property upon which land the said three is located, who has authority to allow the trimming or removal of said tree and will not comply with a written request may be called into court to show good reason and if it's agreed he has good reason he shall put up a bond in excess of estimated damages caused by his neglect which shall be assumed to be intentional threat to the health, wealth and security of those within his lawful care and duty. The law could be called "the good neighbor law".. Every day of the week I can drive down the back roads near my house and there are a lot of leaners hoovering over the power lines just waiting for a good hard wind..I have one tree in a yard near my rent house leaning over the line and looks as if it may at any time snap off right on the bedroom of the little lady living there..Simply put.. The fall of a tree can be easily estimated. Most of the time I can pin a flag on the ground and fell a tree top right at the flag. Any professional should be able to estimate and tree for someone and flag the reach of the falling tree.. IF it's possable to fall onto a house next door or if the roots damage the driveway,, It should be cut, the stump killed and everyone be happy..
I live here on the Farm as far from that kind of crap as I can get and depend on my Generator and good sense.
I'm like the guy who left town because it got over crowded when his neighbor had kids and their dog had puppies..I do like People, Bears and Wild animals..BUT I like them at a safe distance...

That is ridiculous. How about not put your garden in the shade. With that language someone 4 houses down will whine about leaves in their gutters and take their neighbors to court over it.

There are already laws in place in most states that provide protection. @sean donato described how he is working within that system to have trees that pose actual direct threat dealt with.

Move to Louisiana. A friend of mine from Massachusetts moved her. After 4 years her mind has been enlightened. You might not have noticed where the FALL of said tree and its roots would be the thing that would qualify the tree for removal. As far as leaves in a gutter thats the kind of rubbish that makes me not want to live next door to small minds. Shade a garden that produces food, did know some people have small yards that they have limited garden space and because their nieghbors have trees are not able to grow food. You are the kind of thinker that rides a horse twenty miles o town and back to retrieve a grocery list.. Please don't half read my posts. They are well thought out and have deep meanings. As a counselor and writer for over fifty years I experience that response often. People hurriedly scan, choose a part of the thought and without tourgh consideration began to debate the point. One time a young Attorney ask me to help him agury his case in court. He was loosing. Finally I asked him if maybe he should have his client deny the charges. In haste we often overlook the obvious. In a war zone we call that, " fear locked", anger also blinds and disables. Sometimes before I'm finished making the point I see people stop listening because they are formulating a response. Once, I stopped and said yes!. The person said they had a question. I said if you don't mind let's address that in a moment. Then when I had made my case that person said, no questions. You already answered them. Instead of blurting, That's a bad idea its better to add to the conversation by saying, maybe we could change this law to include or exclude certain language. You are young and I am old we will see things differently. I well remember being young. Thank goodness I'm more mature now. I'm dam shore happier.
Blessings to you and your family

Back