Wow...Stihl's pricing is HIGH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just called a local dealer, a big freakin dealer too.

I asked for a "MS-260 piston assembly"

I was never asked for a serial number to confirm if it was a 44mm or 44.7mm piston.

I waited on hold over 5 minutes, and Im told.."$100.XX with tax" :jawdrop: Do you want to order it?

So Ill be going to Baileys, and get a new piston, Cylinder, pin, clips, etc for the same amount.

I paid under $100 for a New Kohler K301 Piston, and Chrome rings...that piston is over 3" in diamter and weighs probably a pound or more.

Every piston I priced from Stihl dealers was $100-$110. Seems to be the going rate no matter what piston it is.

Be reasonable red. When you're dealing with a $1,000 tool, a major component of that tool for $100 is not out of line.

It's a 450.00 tool, and they are asking about 1/4 the price of a new saw, for one part.

I could probably just get a Baileys piston for what...40 bucks, with rings and pin/clips.

Im going to make my own gasket.

It's a 450.00 tool, and they are asking about 1/4 the price of a new saw, for one part.

I could probably just get a Baileys piston for what...40 bucks, with rings and pin/clips.

Im going to make my own gasket.

Face it red, $100 is chump change any more. That will barely put a tank of fuel in my truck.

Be reasonable red. When you're dealing with a $1,000 tool, a major component of that tool for $100 is not out of line.
I would agree, if its a $1000 saw, but an ms260 is a cheapy. A bill for a piston is pretty outrageous for a little saw.

When you get down to it, a piston for a V12 Jaguar is cheaper. You can get a set of hypereutectic alloy piston for your small block chevy 350 for a bill. Just another middle finger up from the saw manufactures.

Famous dealer words, "it'd be cheaper to just buy a new saw".

I would agree, if its a $1000 saw, but an ms260 is a cheapy. A bill for a piston is pretty outrageous for a little saw.

When you get down to it, a piston for a V12 Jaguar is cheaper. You can get a set of hypereutectic alloy piston for your small block chevy 350 for a bill. Just another middle finger up from the saw manufactures.

Famous dealer words, "it'd be cheaper to just buy a new saw".
Yes, but how many v12 Jaguar pistons do you think they sale individually. Take the price and multiply by 12 to get a more accurate comparison.

$100.00 is not out of line for an oem piston. I paid $100 for a Dolmar piston over 10 years ago.

Must have been a out of production model.
PS 5100 piston assembly $68.00
PS 7900 piston assembly $98.00
PS 7300 piston assembly $87.00
PS 6400 piston assembly $68.00
120si / PS 6800 Piston assy $73.20

Scott

Last edited:
Yes, but how many v12 Jaguar pistons do you think they sale individually. Take the price and multiply by 12 to get a more accurate comparison.

v12 jag engine is just 2 v6 ford mondeo engines welded together hell they even put diesels in jags now. even volvo is owned by ford

133 piston assy $104.00 been out of production since late 80's

Scott

Yeah, as I recall, the dealer I bought it from was surprised they could still get it. This was '93 or '94. If I remember right, it was right before they came out with the Dolmar Makita saws.

Last edited:
well jag only had v12,s made by jag

ford owns
jag
aston marton
volvo
landrover
mini i think

called the premier auto group
they have made jags better

u get for what u pay imo

serg

How good are those pistons from baily's? Did anyone from this site have problems with those pistons before?

Back