Wrapping up long rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first tree outfit I worked for used rope bags and plastic totes. He even had the battery powered throwline retriever/winder. ( great if you had 2 or more throwlines strung out in a yard, not worth the time to do one line IMHO.)

The second outfit coiled them up like OD described. The third outfit used the Butterfly method. Both methods can be faster to put away, but one seems to spend more untangling them once uncoiled.

When I went out on my own, I got a bag for every rope I purchased. Now I have bags for each of my 'like new' or 'real good condition' ropes ( both climbing and rigging ) and tend to coil short ropes like tag lines. I Butterfly the medium length ( 100') and seldom used ropes. The best rope bag I have seen for a 3/4" X 200' plus rope was a Duffle bag from military surplus. I don't have one for myself yet but it is on the list to buy.

I will say this for bags, I can flake 200' of 5/8" into the green Sherrill bag in less than 3 minutes, so 'bagging time' isn't a real factor. I have never had any tangle or problem grabbing the end of a bagged rope and pulling it out for service. In fact, I normally use the throwline to pull it out of the bag and up the tree.

Not sure that the post by JPS concerning 'make work' was totaly accurate. It may have been true with some Captains, but I believe it was actually done to rotate the wet lower section of the coil to the top so it could dry better. Remember, those were natural fiber ropes back then. :cheers:

Rick

The first tree outfit I worked for used rope bags and plastic totes. He even had the battery powered throwline retriever/winder. ( great if you had 2 or more throwlines strung out in a yard, not worth the time to do one line IMHO.)

The second outfit coiled them up like OD described. The third outfit used the Butterfly method. Both methods can be faster to put away, but one seems to spend more untangling them once uncoiled.

When I went out on my own, I got a bag for every rope I purchased. Now I have bags for each of my 'like new' or 'real good condition' ropes ( both climbing and rigging ) and tend to coil short ropes like tag lines. I Butterfly the medium length ( 100') and seldom used ropes. The best rope bag I have seen for a 3/4" X 200' plus rope was a Duffle bag from military surplus. I don't have one for myself yet but it is on the list to buy.

I will say this for bags, I can flake 200' of 5/8" into the green Sherrill bag in less than 3 minutes, so 'bagging time' isn't a real factor. I have never had any tangle or problem grabbing the end of a bagged rope and pulling it out for service. In fact, I normally use the throwline to pull it out of the bag and up the tree.

Not sure that the post by JPS concerning 'make work' was totaly accurate. It may have been true with some Captains, but I believe it was actually done to rotate the wet lower section of the coil to the top so it could dry better. Remember, those were natural fiber ropes back then. :cheers:

Rick

Hey Thanks Rick for your USEFUL infomation!

Latest posts

Back