Wraptor climbing- unusual feeling , but worth the extra $$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a production climber who specializes in large removals which we bid, so we are always in a hurry. I like to have systems in place that are fail proof time after time. Tying into a suspended TIP isnt one of those.
Thanks; got it. i'm a production climber too, but 97% of the time that is for pruning, and 78% of the time it's by the hour. So, different strokes...

So ya goin' south to geeze? I am told that the wraptor is okay for ascending in competing, which is great cuz it's the best way to ascend. :skywalker:

I have a question for you guys that have used this system. What is the minimum height climb that you would bother to use this thing for? Here record height trees are 130' or so and rarely above 110', usually mature trees are more like 60' or 70'. You may be tying in at 50', so you normally only have to climb 30' or 40' from the top of the ladder.

I have a question for you guys that have used this system. What is the minimum height climb that you would bother to use this thing for? Here record height trees are 130' or so and rarely above 110', usually mature trees are more like 60' or 70'. You may be tying in at 50', so you normally only have to climb 30' or 40' from the top of the ladder.

I thought about that to, its not like you`re climbing 100 ft trees every day where the first limb is 50ft off the ground........I could see the value of such a purchase if all you`re doing every day is 100ft+ trees that need pruned/deadwood, other than that you`re pretty much right!!!!

LXT............

Hey Bot wazzup? I would think if you had 30 to go 40 foot in it may become invaluable. I want one cause I am gettin older and it will make me 37 again lol:cheers:

Hey 37 is the new 29, I heard. Haven't seen you post in awhile TreeBot!Cheers!

Just picked mine up the other day. Can't wait to get out and use it. Might be awhile though. Going for lasik on Thursday and got to wait a week to go to work. I guess I can still try it though. Anyone know what mix to use. Thinking 50/1 that's what I use in my Saws.

Last edited:
yup to the 50:1, premium.

re ladders, I use mine a lot less now. if the wraptor saves the hassle of moving it around it's out of the ascension equation in med-large trees. I've heard people say they use it for a 20' climb, but for me it's more like 30+.

In NC the trees are big enough that it's used regularly.

But is it worth it to you to set it up for a mere 30 or 40 feet?

Welcome back buddy! long time no read.

Yes it is worth it if you are going to do several of them and the ladder will not reach, or you have to move it all the time.

I might make a few 20 ft climbs just to keep in practice, but I do not see it as a big bother to set up the system on a small tree. If you FL up a medium/small tree you still have to reset the your line, so what is the differance?

On jobs where I have several of these climbs I will often have one of the ground-guys set the next line for me. Then decide whether it is better to climb or motor up.

One thing i do find is that I am more comfortable on smaller TIP's then if doing a FL, with it's inherent dynamic loading. We have met, so you have a better idea as to the loading of an SRT tie-in would be with me on-rope.

like i have said many times, I used it once and had to buy one.

. I've heard people say they use it for a 20' climb, but for me it's more like 30+.

For me it depends on the job, If I can situate the TIP right over the work for a small job, then I will motor up. Isolating the SRT line with branch-unions can be very effective when doing clearance and storm work.

If imagining the usefulness of effortless ascension taxes you're imagination.......then the Wraptor is not for you!:laugh:

LOL, im not sure it taxes ones imagination & one considering if it is useful enough based on daily climbing/workload to justify #1 its use? & #2if its worth it?

its a nice tool/thought...........but is it a toy for fun & an excuse for being lazy or is it truly a necessity for ones biz? this is more along the lines of what I imagine.

LXT....................

I compare it to having a pruner with saw attachment to a gas powered polesaw. Ya they both work but it's faster and easier to use the power polesaw. In a business where time is money or how much you get done the more money you make why wouldn't you go for it.

Latest posts

Back