wraptor rap II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Maybe if we don't get to talking about the origin or the development of these things then you know who :)monkey:) won't show up and ruin all the fun.

These things are just pure fun too. Today it took just 2 bean bag shots to hit a 70 foot crotch. Pulled the wraptor line through (included and designed just for Paul Cox and the machine), running bolened it to the stem, and then within a second or 2, I was in the top. I knocked out a couple of big storm broken limbs and rappelled down hitting a little deadwood on the way.

This is similar to when you first buy and use a bucket truck and there is just a tiny little feeling of guilt it makes it so relatively easy.

You have a choice of which side of the srt line you want to use too.

I tried mine out today. No work just hung it from the lift and went up and down to confuse the neighbors. I was going to hold off on buying one but I got sick in December and January and now I'm 25 lbs. heavier and completely out of shape. I work by myself most of the time and it will be nice to be able to come down and clean up the mess on the ground from time to time. Maybe I'll just stay fat.
Phil

I tried mine out today. No work just hung it from the lift and went up and down to confuse the neighbors. I was going to hold off on buying one but I got sick in December and January and now I'm 25 lbs. heavier and completely out of shape. I work by myself most of the time and it will be nice to be able to come down and clean up the mess on the ground from time to time. Maybe I'll just stay fat.
Phil

Yeah it is almost like doing a craner or using a bucket where it makes no difference if you come down and help, take a leak, etc etc. You got another free ride right back up.

more fun today. Shot a beanie out on a lateral on a huge oak and came right down over a huge dead limb, bottom cut it and put a perfectly matching top cut on it and slammed the thousand pound plus branch right next to a lean to type garage with 2 new cars in it.

No messing with going up the middle of the tree. No energy expended so was fresh to remove another tree and load the dead oak limb on my pu to burn in my furnace.

we took an approx 7,000 plus pound section out of this 23 foot circ. at breast height (way bigger above 4'), 500 year old Bur oak today that was dead. Spikes buried in the dead lead (took em off for rest).

Wraptored a little and it helped. Owner is going to mill the 4 logs which will make nice furniture lumber. Not much 500 yr. old furniture prior to building it! (the section is not that old but the tree is)

What is the secret to this genetic freak....maybe in part, very slow measured successful growth as you can see on the growth increments.
attachment.php

Last edited:
After it was hit with a downshear about 8 years ago and crushed the new side of the house 3 other codoms were split open so we had to cut it back to the next canopy increment.

This family and 3 kids, especially the kids, have enjoyed the tree in relative safety since they moved in about 9 years ago where the kids and neighborhood kids use a swing I put on it and make forts underneath through their childhood that they will never forget.

So what's the story on the Wraptor TV, can it stop and descend if wanted, or is it a oneway ride up?

Thanks,

jomoco

So what's the story on the Wraptor TV, can it stop and descend if wanted, or is it a oneway ride up?

Thanks,

jomoco

The machine has a tip for drt (built into it) and if you want to or need to you can rappel off of it or, when you get to the end of the ride you just take your split tail set up out of the machine and put it around a crotch .....and go to work

Then you have the gm lower the machine and get rid of the srt the machine was taking you up on.

One of the nice things about the machine compared to footlocking or manual ascender set ups is you only need ONE hand to run it. Because of that you can parry limbs out of the way and thick brush with the other hand and maneuver your body around with the other hand (and feet) and get the machine in a position so it does not strike anything (or your cabeza).

Does that mean no it can't descend under power, and yes it's a oneway trip up in that it has no reverse gearing?

Thanks,

jomoco

No reverse gearing. Seems like they could have built this into it as my Tanaka cabling drill has a reverse gear (same power heae). Maybe Paul thought it too much liability for what is accomplished.

Again, you can go down like as going above a dead limb and then rappel down off the machine onto it....but the down aspect is a one shot deal.

Somebody like you might take a stab at the reverse gear set up but patents may need to be looked into I guess.

What I see doing on a big multi dom is toss crotches with a throw line or whatever while in the top of the lead you're in, then when you want to go up that one just hook the machine to it.

I climb that way prior to buying this set up with sometimes 2 or 3 tips that I may have tossed from nearby leader tops.

Yu know TV, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a few pics of that crazy funky capstan on your wraptor, preferably some closeups.

I kind sorta think I understand how it works without even a complete wrap. It would need to squeeze the rope very tightly for about 90 degrees around the 360 degree circle. I suspect it does this with a cam of some sort.

I must admit that regardless of how it works, it's a great tool with a very good design, worth every penny I'm sure.

Thanks again Ole Climber.

jomoco

Back