wraptor rap II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After months of many many wraptor uses the set up and usage and removal of the machine has become very routine.

I have found that keeping a mini porty and lanyard with connector in the wraptor rope box is the best way to set up. This anchors the long end of the line with speed and safety. This way I can even use it alone then rapel and lower it myself or the gm can lower it while I am in the tree. A whoopie or loopie might be as quick as the lanyard.

Anyone else got any opinions?

I've used a Gri-Gri that has been floating in the truck since I gave up on SRT. I usually stick to a cow-hitch with a bight.

Yesterday was the first time in weeks where I did NOT use The Toy. One of those twisty A. ulmus that was just impractical to anything but gaff up.

An interesting little job; over a big deck and house, with secondary canopy all over underneath. Had two rig points and did double-whip drift-line twice. Came close to maxing one rig-point out :eek: Gave the client a-fib. :laugh:

I have found that keeping a mini porty and lanyard with connector in the wraptor rope box is the best way to set up. This anchors the long end of the line with speed and safety. This way I can even use it alone then rapel and lower it myself or the gm can lower it while I am in the tree. A whoopie or loopie might be as quick as the lanyard.

yup that works well tho i often just wind up haha wrapping around a small tree trunk nearby and doing a double knot. less often convenient to tie off on same tree it seems.

also i started using a double snap; keep it on the ring, just the right length for me, frees up the climbing line. never been in a spot where i wanted/needed to work off the toy itself..

also re fumes i found that a slight twist will spin the toy and clear the air. :)

also i started using a double snap; keep it on the ring, just the right length for me, frees up the climbing line. never been in a spot where i wanted/needed to work off the toy itself..

what do you mean by a double snap and keep it on the ring Guy?

Dedicated climbing line for the toy?

. never been in a spot where i wanted/needed to work off the toy itself

One situation that occurs quite often is where you have work right under the machine and it is nearly impossible to get off the machine and onto the branch/leader it is crotched in. This applies to sideways branches with no crotch above them.

Another time I do this is when I am working by myself and do not want to lower the machine to the ground and risk dropping something onto it. There is no worries IMO about climbing off the machine. It has a redundant safety feature (camming device attached) and is like climbing off of a friction saver relative to safety.

a double snap--two snaps joined together and facing apart--everyone sells em--one end stays on the toy's ring and the other attaches to the saddle for ascent. get it? never made sense to me to tie into the toy if one's climbing line is going to be taken off at the top.

a double snap--two snaps joined together and facing apart--everyone sells em--one end stays on the toy's ring and the other attaches to the saddle for ascent. get it? never made sense to me to tie into the toy if one's climbing line is going to be taken off at the top.

the reason is if the machine broke down (and every machine will break down sometime in its life) then you can rapel to the ground instead of being stuck in mid air.

Got an email from Paul and he mentioned the unexpected bee's nest encounter as another reason to crotch in to the machine. Hey a friend of mine back in the early 70's ran into a big white faced hornets nest in a huge oak and started getting hit. He ran out of rope and had to recrotch while they were tagging him (happened to me multi times too) and almost died on the way to the hospital in an ambulence. His name was Richie Bardot and he was the district foreman for Bartlett back then.

Another issue Paul mentioned was a guy got his foot stuck in a crotch on the way up while clipped in to the machine (like Meilleur) and with the tension of the machine and the foot stuck......he was stuck in the tree.

Tried to get Paul to redesign the machine because of his ignorance.

Use the machine the way it was designed and no worries.

I've had my Wraptor for a coupla months now. Love it, as I knew I would....

Originally Posted by jefflovstrom View Post
Hope you get some pics, JPS.
Jeff

Hope you get some pics, JPS.
Jeff

Hope you get pis, JPS.
Jeff

I got some pics of a big willow I had the 385 up in, gotta scan them. My client is too old-school to have a didgi-cam.

As for the other request, I have a few bottles in the truck bed...

Laugh

Back