Wrecked cylinder????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was mine it would already be in the scrap bin. If you are wanting to practice grinding on a jug, that's a perfect candidate. Watch ebay or put up a want to buy ad on here and a few other sites. If you have to get it going now, then aftermarket may be your best choice. Have patience something will turn up.

still the only part that concerns me is the lower right of the exhaust port. that looks like it could be a chip but above can be cleaned up more to be smooth. i wouldn't sand it anymore until it had a good acid treatment. if the area's above are worn through plating of course it's junk but it looks like it just needs more cleaning. everybody will have their opinion. some people are just more picky then others. funny thing is the picky guys don't even use saws much. regardless of whether you lost 20psi compression even. that jug could still be made to be reliable. that's just my opinion of course.

still the only part that concerns me is the lower right of the exhaust port. that looks like it could be a chip but above can be cleaned up more to be smooth. i wouldn't sand it anymore until it had a good acid treatment. if the area's above are worn through plating of course it's junk but it looks like it just needs more cleaning. everybody will have their opinion. some people are just more picky then others. funny thing is the picky guys don't even use saws much. regardless of whether you lost 20psi compression even. that jug could still be made to be reliable. that's just my opinion of course.
Are you looking at these pics on a phone or large PC screen? Above the exhaust port looks to be chewed to pieces all the way across.

Are you looking at these pics on a phone or large PC screen? Above the exhaust port looks to be chewed to pieces all the way across.

PC 17" it looks chewed because it's not done being cleaned up! it may not even be possible to get it all off without damaging the plating even worse but if it was possible i know i could make a reliable saw out of it. again, not to sell. just for me to cut wood the 2-3 times a year i need an 088.

Like was said, if it's your saw and you want to take a chance go ahead. However, if it's your saw you can also buy an AM piston and cylinder for very little compared to OEM. I've used them on several occasions and would much rather run them than a beat up OEM cylinder. Around $30 from China..

So far I have only been able find aftermarket cylinders that are for bolt on exhaust where this is the clip style

Gonna speak to my local dealer tomorrow and get a price on a new one, there may also be couple of parts only 880 local to me that may have good cylinders, if it wasn't for the clip on style exhaust it would be easy.

Saw needs to be strong and reliable, they spend 8hrs running with the only down time to sharpen the chain, don't even turn it off to refuel.

A coupe hundred litres of fuel running like above are what caused the sieze, have since changed my mix to be 32:1 for running the new 880.

I've been fooled by pics before. I've sworn a jug was grooved when it was transfer deceiving me.

The area absent plating that I see below the exhaust port can be smoothed with a diamond ball.

It's the deep looking grooves above that worry me.

Keep sanding. I use an acid/sanding combo on jugs in general, but this is one place I would not.

How much of that total was the piston itself ?

Not too sure, do t even know if I kept the receipt, can find out though, can't imagine the base gasket and tiny seals would cost much though.
It's a shame these saws are some damn expensive to buy and repair, my 660's are much cheaper to repair.

Problem is not many saws can pull an 84" bar in hardwood

I've been fooled by pics before. I've sworn a jug was grooved when it was transfer deceiving me.

The area absent plating that I see below the exhaust port can be smoothed with a diamond ball.

It's the deep looking grooves above that worry me.

Keep sanding. I use an acid/sanding combo on jugs in general, but this is one place I would not.
I agree al,it's still not clean.

I admit, I'm picky and I don't make my living off a saw. But when I do use one I want to know that it's not got any problems that might cause other problems when I go to use it. Mainly because when I grab it it's because I need it and don't have time to fiddle with it.

it sounds like the OP does make his living off of it and for sure needs it to be reliable. I vote buy you a new top end and count it off on your taxes, depending on how often you use it it shouldn't take long for it to pay for itself. If you need it now clean it up best you can and run it, but I would go ahead and buy a replacement top end for when it finally blows.

That's a nice price!......Around $387-Aud.
Plus shipping.
Not to muddy the waters, but does customs hammer you guys on imports? Like if you were to buy stateside and have it shipped? Claim it's candles or some ****.

Latest posts

Back