Wrist pain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been doing a fair amount of cutting lately and my left wrist is really getting sore, like on the outside top of my wrist running into the bones in the top part of my hand.

Is this something that can be caused by saw vibration?

I do a lot of limbing etc in tangled-up places, so I do a lot of engaging the chain brake between cuts so if I fall down I won't saw myself in half, and the way I engage the chain brake is to just move my left hand so that the top part of my wrist moves the chain brake lever forward.

I'm not sure whether THAT is what's causing my wrist pain, or the vibration. The saw I've been using is my 361, but I usually don't wear gloves either, though I'm starting to wear gloves more nowadays.

Do you boys get pain in your left wrist from this stuff? How do I minimize it or make it go away? I don't want carpal tunnel!

Thanks,

Jeff

I would consult an orthopedist who specializes in hands/wrists. I don't know if a brace would be beneficial to you or not (see a doctor). Using a Husky might give you some relief from the vibration associated with using Stihl saws.

Tunnel/carpal usually involves the tendon on the inside lower of your wrist. It can be swelling/irritation of the sheathing or closing (through arthritis or calcium buildup) of the channel the tendon runs in, worst case scenario is surgery (blah but usually an easy one) or at best, gah, give it a break, often a brace will help immensely. See a doc, wrap it lightly in a tensor bandage for a few days and don't use it to engage your chain brake, use the palm of your hand and just push it forward and for heavens sake don't be drop-starting your saw or doin' heavy splitting as this will only aggravate it. Every time I've had problems like this the prognosis was the same, rest it, kinda hard to do sometimes (if ever). The down-side is that if it is tendon troubles rest is about the only thing that guarantees it'll heal up to snuff, ask anyone who has repeatedly re-injured one. Years ago my doctor got fed up with me and casted me in fiberglass with my fingers splayed so I wouldn't use them, I had to modify where the thumb was soz I could hold me beer glass ;)

Sounds like you have abit of inflammation in the ligaments/tendons along the top of your hand. Its likely that you are taking the bulk of the weight from the saw on your left wrist/arm etc.. over time swinging the saw in tight places where there are alot of tangled limbs you are constantly holding the saw in awkward postions putting more strain on your wrist, a wrist brace is not neccessarily the answer, a wrist brace, brace being the operative word, is more ridgid which can lead to more problems called contractures etc.. you would likely benefit more from a wrist support which still allows some limited movement of the wrist and fingers. NSAID ( nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug ) such as an ibuprofen would help also. This of course is also a repetitive injury, so overtime, as you use the saw in this manner, your wrist will bother you again and again, this could and likely will lead to arthritic problems which pretty much anyone over 30 probably has by now. The only real cure is to stop cutting and as this is an unlikely option, than i recommend reducing the amount of time you cut, in other words, take it easy and rest more and consider putting ice on your wrist when it starts to bother you at least for the first 24/48 hours. Your local Physiotherapist can help alot also.

Doc

Last edited:
I struggle with the same issue on the left hand. I use a brace when it gets real bad, ibuprofin for the swelling and pain, and use the smallest possible saw when limbing so I am not stressing my wrist as much.

It is not very comfortable using the brace while I work with wood, so I use it all the time when I am not using a saw or splitting. One word of advice: you can get a brace without going to the doctor. I got mine at a big drugstore and it saved me a bunch of $$$. They charge lots more for one through a clinic!

Canyon Angler said:
Been doing a fair amount of cutting lately and my left wrist is really getting sore, like on the outside top of my wrist running into the bones in the top part of my hand.

Is this something that can be caused by saw vibration?

I do a lot of limbing etc in tangled-up places, so I do a lot of engaging the chain brake between cuts so if I fall down I won't saw myself in half, and the way I engage the chain brake is to just move my left hand so that the top part of my wrist moves the chain brake lever forward.

I'm not sure whether THAT is what's causing my wrist pain, or the vibration. The saw I've been using is my 361, but I usually don't wear gloves either, though I'm starting to wear gloves more nowadays.

Do you boys get pain in your left wrist from this stuff? How do I minimize it or make it go away? I don't want carpal tunnel!

Thanks,

Jeff

Try using some vibration damping wrap on the handle and always wear a padded glove. Injury such as what you are describing can be and usually are cumulative. Also watch your wrist and finger position, what is comfortable may not be correct. You may want to switch to a smoother chain and a smaller pitch if possible, also may need to use a saw that has different angles. If it is painful and bothering you then you should consult a doctor. Web advice is crappy.:)

This summer my left elbow began to hurt and became incredibly painful. It was affecting my ability to function and my state of mind. Talk to a doctor,set up a pain reliever(Ibuprofen) regiment and eliminated the aggravating action. NO MORE STRING TRIMMERS. It seems that I accumulated a tendinitis like injury from long term string trimmer use. Stopped using the trimmers and the pain went away and has not come back. Now I use one of the walk behind ones.

i get the EXACT same pain you describe, mine is caused from activating the metal chain brake bar, with the back of my wrist as i set the saw down. i glued a 1/2" thick pad of dense foam onto my left glove, where it contacts the brake bar.

problem solved, i had no more pain in that area.

I have had the same problem during last winter. I had been cutting for a few days in a row (which is not standard for me), and have had the same problems as you described. It was quite painfull and it has taken a few months actually before I got really rid of the problem. I blame in on the vibrations and the fact that I probably overdid it (for my standards). Next time, I will split the workload more efficiently.
Also got more respect for people who do this work for a living ; at the end, it is hard physical labour.

belgian said:
..... I blame in on the vibrations and the fact that I probably overdid it (for my standards). Next time, I will split the workload more efficiently.
Also got more respect for people who do this work for a living ; at the end, it is hard physical labour.

it indeed is hard work, normally 2-3 hours a day of cutting is more than enough for me :D thou, im just occasional lumberjack and i don do it for living...

Couple yr. ago, I was behind that year in getting in my winter supply of wood and really hit the cutting hard. Developed pain in left arm, but mine was up on the forearm side of the elbow. My GP said to take Ibuprofen and provide pressure to the muscle by wrapping the arm with something like Ace bandage. That didn't work for me, but what did was one of those neoprene wraps with the velcro. Had to tighten it way down. [by neoprene I mean that stuff that's like Scuba wetsuit material]. It did help a lot.

He also told me to use heat on the muscle at the end of my day. This also helped. Took me maybe three months for it all to clear up, tho'.

I dont think the vibrations are causing your pain. Yours may be different but my MS361 has an excellent anti-vibe.

About 9 months ago I landed a whopper of a truckload of saws that neded mostly minor repairs. After making the "Pullstart Motion" 6million times in a week My right wrist started to hurt along with the tendons above and below my elbow.

The elbow got heat every night for a week and all has been good, the wrist bothered me for many months. So long that I just realized the other day that it wasnt hurting much and Ive been able to do some pushups this week without incident.

I Couldnt do any work that involved retracting my wrist all the way, ie pushups, tearing around on the dirtbike, twisting the top off of a frosty.:cheers:

It was sheer hell.

I had some wrist pain just the other day. This happens when the little retainer spring/clip comes loose prematurely and flies around the shop about 17 times and lands who knows where. If you can find it the pain should go away shortly.

Rotax Robert said:
This happens when the little retainer spring/clip ....flies around the shop about 17 times and lands who knows where.

Its at this point known as a Jesus clip, as in, "Jesus, where'd that go !?!":D !

Back