Wrongfully released?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah mine is under that's all I have . Well at least until I hire you then I will buy the most glorious tree truck known to man when you turn the key the set of lips will service your member and play we are the champions over and over .

Still, you can't just a anybody to drive it. Throwing somebody in a truck like on the spur can be costly. I don't know hoe these big companies find people to drive their huge ass trucks properly and safely. God bless em though! And even if the trucks look good they are still pieces of crap with quirks that the right person could very well put on a nasty show with.

I'll sit all night with horror stories.

Anyway:

If there is a stipulation about the guy not driving CDL then yes, he was wrongfully released.

The whole thing sounds bad. Sounds like dude went in and told straight up cause he knew he didn't want to drive and the boss agreed cause he needed a sucker to climb the tree but also knew he would have to push the guy to drive eventually for some reason.

Back in the day, if you were smart, you knew better than to put a climber behind the wheel of the tree truck but there has always been a stubborn breed that thinks its fine to expect a person to climb who the hell knows what then drive his big ass POS back home.

Some even think cause they pay the guy so much he should and will and he will, until burn out time.

Not saying there aren't yahoos who love climbing and driving big ass trucks. Hey! Most times its what the climber wants to do. Right? Well, maybe until there is a real good foreman on the job but then he can drive. Right?

This CDL business is a pita, no doubt. Sometimes I think maybe I should sell off some stuff and come back at with a different plan. A vagina on tracks actually sounds sort of attractive for some reason. Does anyone know how big a trailer you can legally tow with a mini cooper? Should be able to pull at least 14k, no? Just kicking around some ideas here..

You asked for suggestions and the only one I could think of is get your cdl. And about the crying I said that to try to be funny, thought you would have a little thicker skin.

This CDL business is a pita, no doubt. Sometimes I think maybe I should sell off some stuff and come back at with a different plan. A vagina on tracks actually sounds sort of attractive for some reason. Does anyone know how big a trailer you can legally tow with a mini cooper? Should be able to pull at least 14k, no? Just kicking around some ideas here..

The whole thing HORRIFIES me. No joke. Now you? Its your business, you will do anything you need to. For ****'s sake! Being in charge of driving a CDL truck is no small matter at all. Finding the people to do it all right is hard. You see those other drivers, sure some do more than just drive but its not climbing trees. A guy that will climb and do trees and drive CDL? The worst is when its someone who thinks he can.

Am I to understand that you need a CDL truck in Hawaii to do tree work?

Listen, that is not a big island, with trucks that big there will be nothing left!

There are state and federal whistle blowing protections regarding safety issues. If you want, you could talk to an employment lawyer.

You might get your job back. You might not. You might force your former employer to address safety issues for remaining and future employees. You might get informally blacklisted as a 'troublemaker' among similar outfits.

Up to you.

Philbert

Also I would say that if it does stipulate that you only climb, not expected to drive, were fired because you didn't drive AND the boss tried to make you do something illegal in order for you to keep your job...

Well, I dunno, is Hawaii in America? Cause if so you got a lawsuit right there.

I don't know who would be stupid enough to put his company in this position.

Well , I truly appreciate everyone's input , I really do. As far as coming off with thin skin , I apologize. Just lost my job , I'm on the edge and needed advice. Yes Hawaii is in America and there are not a whole lot of outfits here on the Big Island and the owner of this company does not have a great reputation among other outfits. He is known to make employees do things they shouldn't by threatening their jobs if they didn't do it. I've seen him make a totally inexperienced ground guy climb just for laughs , guys are afraid to lose their jobs that they put themselves in danger over it. The only difference between them and I is that I spoke up all the while knowing this could have happened.

Good for you for speaking up, but in 3 years, you never thought, hey, I should go for my CDL to cover my own ass?

I think every employee has thought "I'm just going to keep my mouth shut to put food on the table." I have in fact used the "I gotta drive this or not work" excuse with cops, and it worked. But that was because I have a CDL A, a med card, I was buckled in, and all the stuff that I could control was working.

Go for your CDL, and find a boss who is not an *******.

If your a good hard worker you shouldnt have a problem finding a job and having a cdl chances are you will be paid more.

Getting your cdl when you are required at work full time isn't easy. The first road test is always a bust. And that requires a morning with the work truck and a driver with you. So, best case scenario you pass it on your second go, that's two mornings with the truck and a driver. I would have approached the boss about doing that and if he gave you a hard time then tell him to get fawkt. He had the truck and should have pushed you to get one. You won't have a hard time finding greener pastures.

What island do you work on? Is there any reason you can't get a CDL? What's your next move? I would get the CDL and eliminate the issue.
I live on the Big Island and no reason I can not go get my CDL. I have had 2 other companies trying for 2 weeks now to get me to make the move but I never seen this coming. The move to any of the other companies will require that I only climb with the option to get my CDL on the companies dime. The owner of the company I was working for was a climber at one time and he tells us all his story of how he hated ground work and that now he owns his own company he does not like having his climbers do any sort of ground work. I have never lived by his rules of not helping on the ground after coming out of a tree , I have always helped and in doing so kept a good relationship with all the groundies. Tried my best to keep the moral of the crew high. Theres no doubt that I will now go ahead and try to get my CDL , picked up a study guide today and will use the rest of the week to go through it.

U not having a cdl is your boss' fault. After your first few weeks he should have gave u the study books and told u to read them. Then sent u to take the test in his cdl truck. You can't b going to some driving school when your boss could get the same thing done much easier. It's obviously part of his business plan I'm sure the trucks don't have current dot inspections either. If it wasn't part of his plan why didnt he just give u the books when u brought it up? Call dot ask them if u or he was wrong.

I didn't go to school to learn to drive a truck. They're also a 3rd party tester without going through their schooling. I had a Class B when i worked at Asplundh and when i got hired where i am now i had to upgrade to a Class A and HAZMAT endorsement.

Back