WTH ! is this fear of a lawsuit ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixon

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went down to My local dealer to pick up a couple of loops of RSC chain .
The saleman puts the boxes on the counter and says ... "You have to sign this before I ring the sale up ." It's a form acknowledging that I'm aware of the fact that I'm not buying "low kickback "chain and that the chain could be dangerous ,or some words to that effect .
Have any of You had an experience like that ? I felt like laughing at the guy . But, then I considered the fact that they may have been in a lawsuit recently .
All in all ,it was a very strange experience .

Well , it was at best amateur as well . All those that had bought the "forbidden chains " were listed right above Me on the same page . Name , address ,and signature . Seems to Me that they might have a problem with the privacy act by doing that .
Seems to Me that a separate form would be in order .
All it would have to say is something to the affect of :
Yes , I am a risk taker . I've sold My soul to satan in order to have a chain that works .

Last edited:
Looks like it's time for a new dealer, or start paying in cash and write fals info down!

thats like at lowes when they ask me for my home phone number when i buy a light bulb.. its big brother out to get us.
sounds like theyare just covering their ass, every stihl catalog has in small print next to every bar and chain and saw "green label bar and chains recommended on all saws"

The dealer has probably been sued, which is a shame. If you buy a stihl saw then you should know how to operate it. Some jerk sued cause it was easy money. Home depot wants your phone number so they can sell them to phone sales. I always tell them, "you don't need my number"

Well , it was at best amateur as well . All those that had bought the "forbidden chains " were listed right above Me on the same page . Name , address ,and signature . Seems to Me that they might have a problem with the privacy act by doing that .
Seems to Me that a separate form would be in order .
All it would have to say is something to the affect of :
Yes , I am a risk taker . I've sold My soul to satan in order to have a chain that works .

Don't go to the darkside Luke, the chain may not be worth it. Take the light saber! :jawdrop:

When most of the saw shops have to renew there insurence there going to be required to do this selling rsc types of chains...Two shops so far in my area aready started doing it.

It's a shame they have to do that. I bet more people who get hurt with chainsaws have the bumper link chains anyway. I've not been to a dealer that does that yet. I usually don't frequent the stihl dealers anyway. They're to $$$$$$ for me. The shops I deal with sell mostly to loggers and firewood cutters.

what about a hammer? I could really hurt my finger. :rolleyes: Especially the middle one which I would raise to the lawyers who started this mess. Not ALL lawyers, just the ones who started/ promote this kind of thing. :buttkick:

The saleman puts the boxes on the counter and says ... "You have to sign this before I ring the sale up ." It's a form acknowledging that I'm aware of the fact that I'm not buying "low kickback "chain and that the chain could be dangerous ,or some words to that effect .
Have any of You had an experience like that ? I felt like laughing at the guy . But, then I considered the fact that they may have been in a lawsuit recently .

It's actually pretty amazing that they have just now started doing it.

The dealer has probably been sued, which is a shame. If you buy a stihl saw then you should know how to operate it. Some jerk sued cause it was easy money. Home depot wants your phone number so they can sell them to phone sales. I always tell them, "you don't need my number"

The only time Depot takes your number is one of three things:

1. you're applying for credit
  2. you're making a special order
  3. you're having them hold merchandise for later pickup

The credit application is simply a bank requirement. The other two are to facilitate contacting you with information regarding your order. When taking this information, we have to select whether you accept solicitations or not. By default, I always select "no." Your information is never sold to a third party.

Same here, I am paying with cash anyway. Their standard response is that it facilitates returns but I keep my receipts and they work just fine.

im not sure about home depot, i always go to lowes cause its much closer, but i have returned tons of stuff, months later, with no recipt, they scan it all i guess to make sure its theirs, then they ask for your drivers liscense, they even give you back cash if you paid cash, it tells them on their computer apparently, i never give my phone number, zip code, or any of that crap at walmart/lowes/homedepot

Sad to say, but I can understand why they do this! We're in a world where if I were to get shot, my family could sue the firearms maker. If I smoke and die of lung cancer, they can sue the cigarette maker. I've even seen one case where some non-driving idiot gets in an accident, and tries to sue an auto maker! That one didn't win out, but it sure wasted a bag of time and money!

One dealer near me requires a license(their way of only selling to professionals) to buy non safety chain and bars longer than 20". Needless to say, they don't sell much.

I know for commercial use in Nevada safety chain's are mandatory for everyone, except certified arborists. It's a hefty fine if OSHA finds anyone without them. Can't really blame the guy for covering his own ass. All these safety standards are ruining commercial business growth. I swear lawyers are the bane of the U.S. Constitution.

Back