Wth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He’s no friend if he lends you a Husqvarna.

Friends don’t let friends use Husqvarnas

Or drive Fords

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

510a2198d4f947c237e49f3cb0c7a4b3.jpg

Be interesting to see what the drive sprocket looks like?
Something caused the first chain to snap- jumping around in a worn out drive sprocket can do that loose/tight/loose/tight at 13000 rpm can do funny things to drive link rivets.
At hand rotation speeds- you may not notice the drive links jumping out of the spur drive- but at clutch engaging speed, the chain can be jumping and striking something it should not be.

When I asked if the saw was oiling properly I was thinking that poor oiling would make any other problems worse. He said the previous chain snapped. That sounds like it could do a lot of damage to the saw.

The problem is we don't know what you mean by "folded". We need pics. If the cutting edge is just getting quickly dulled it could be cutters that missed the hardening process or just bad sharpening. If the tooth is actually bent or deformed it had to hit something hard either in the wood or on the saw.

So weird thing happened on the weekend. Went out to cut some downfall. Put on my new Stihl chain on my ms290, ( last time out old chain snapped in two ) started cutting. Things seemed fine. Half way through the first tree I notice the saw dust had changed from good chips to a fine powder. I stop the saw check the chain and all the teeth on the right side of the chain look like I just tried to cut through concrete and are all folded in. The left side cutters are fine. Well what the hell, sharpen it up go again. About half a tree in same thing. I check the saw all seems fine. Try a couple more times same thing. Now I’m thinking is it the wood? So I grab my little ms170 that I use for delimbing and give it a try and although slower it cuts no problem. Did I get a dud chain or is this something I’m missing??? Help please!!!
It is time for Philbert to chime in. Hard to Fathom quality control letting something like this get to the consumer. But anything is possible.

I’ll get some pictures when I get home. Out of town working.

when say folded allow me to clarify, the front of the cutter is bending slightly down and into itself. To the point the file doesn’t actually fit. As I make one stroke with the file it removes the folded material and fits properly into the cup of the cutter. The file definitely seems to bite and remove a lot of material on each stroke. The left teeth feel a lot more normal while the right teeth ( the ones slightly folding seem soft).

I’ll get some pictures when I get home. Out of town working.

when say folded allow me to clarify, the front of the cutter is bending slightly down and into itself. To the point the file doesn’t actually fit. As I make one stroke with the file it removes the folded material and fits properly into the cup of the cutter. The file definitely seems to bite and remove a lot of material on each stroke. The left teeth feel a lot more normal while the right teeth ( the ones slightly folding seem soft).

Right hand side as you look down on the powerhead from the operators perspective?
Could the chain that broke, have been caught by the chain catcher (as per normal) and the catcher was bent up and it is now being chewed away by the right side of the chain cutters?

Right hand side as you look down on the powerhead from the operators perspective?
Could the chain that broke, have been caught by the chain catcher (as per normal) and the catcher was bent up and it is now being chewed away by the right side of the chain cutters?

yes right side from the operators perspective.

pic of the rock/ brick/ bolt/ nail/ insert any weird thing you have found in a tree here, you hit in the tree once its down, thats my guess.

I would agree with you if it was random. You missed the fact it happened multiple times and not at all with the other saw. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an object embedded in the tree.

I would agree with you if it was random. You missed the fact it happened multiple times and not at all with the other saw. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an object embedded in the tree.

Sorry, must need another coffee, from what you first described, it sounded like foreign object in the wood, not the first time ive come across multiple bits of rock/ nails bolts etc, wreck one chain, put new on on, fine, then cut again, find another piece, brake the chain, round of cutters on one side etc.
hope its just a soft chain, but for only one side to be rounded over, and if there was heat treating issues and soft chain, one would expect them all in that batch, and assembled together into that chain for the entire chain to be dull, just one side of chain like you described is usually foreign objects.

Interested in finding out what caused it tho, and pictures of it all, inc tree.

for only one side to be rounded over, and if there was heat treating issues and soft chain, one would expect them all in that batch, and assembled together into that chain for the entire chain to be dull, just one side of chain like you described is usually foreign objects.

Interested in finding out what caused it tho, and pictures of it all, inc tree.

correct me if logic is failing me here but would the cutting teeth be treated before the chain is assembled? And left and right cutters would be manufactured separately?

if so a badly heat treats set of rights or lefts could be possible.

I’m probably grasping at straws

Did a bit of research from what I can tell all parts of a chain, links guides right teeth left teeth are all made and heat treated separately and assembled after. This means and entire batch of untreated right teeth is possible

If the chain is hitting something on the saw, you should see some significant damage to what ever it's hitting.
Did you try flipping the bar? To check the oiling just run the saw without a chain and watch the oil hole and see how much oil is coming out.
You should have tried cutting a different piece of wood and see what it does. If it cuts a different piece of wood just fine the you were most likely hitting something embedded in the wood, when you switch to the other saw you may have already cut through what ever dulled the teeth on the one side. Spur drives do grove out and cause weird things to happen. But inspect the saw for damage. It should stand out if it's hitting the saw somewhere.
Bend the chain catch down out of the way, just a bit. when the other chain broke it may have moved the chain guard
I like to bend the guard down a bit anyway so chips can't catch and clog up on the guard.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

If you mounted the new chain, set the tension and made sure it was free to spin around the bar smoothly without funny noise or feel before starting the saw and cutting with it, it is unlikely that it would start hitting anything on the saw during the cut that you didn't already pick up. I vote for a bad chain that was assembled with all the right hand cutters having missed a step in the manufacturing process. Unlikely, but screw ups do happen. Are the cutters chrome plated?

Latest posts

Back