WWS 550xp continues to impress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Had my WWS 550xp out today helping a buddy take down a pear tree with about a 20" base. Granted, it was pear and not anything like oak, but I stumped that tree with the 550 wearing a 9 pin rim on a 16" bar with .325 chain and it ran really well. It didn't require a light touch. Needs slightly larger felling dogs. My only gripe is that it can be a little hard to start after a fillup when it's hot. Almost like it floods pretty easy.

Almost like it floods pretty easy.
Sounds like a fun saw.
Sounds as you have it figured out now, but the learning curve can be a little steep on these saws, hopefully this helps someone.
On the autotune/mtronic saws as soon as I hear them surge I shut them off and fuel them, don't wait. Running them when they are leaning out causes them to adjust to a richer fuel setting, which is what they are designed to do, but as soon as it's refueled that lean condition is gone but the saw has not had a chance to adjust back to a normal setting and can flood. Also I don't listen for a pop when choking them as much as I feel for it, you can feel the recoil pull a bit easier when it pops, that's time to take the choke off. I only choke them when they are cold as they will instantly flood if choked at all when warm. 3 pulls with the choke on when they are cold is all that's normally needed, then open the choke or risk flooding it.
These saws run well, but as with most equipment they can be temperamental if you are not familiar with their starting procedure.

Back