Stumping with my new WWS 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Got my WWS550 out today to cut up a magnolia tree that a coworker wanted removed. This is the first time that I have had the opportunity to really give the saw a proper workout. Most of the tree was 6-12" in diameter and I was very happy with the performance. It's set up with a 16" 325 bar and an 8 pin rim. The tree had 4 stems off a common base that was about 24" in diameter. I neglected to consider that I needed to flush cut the stump and didn't bring one of my larger saws, so the 550 got pressed into stumping service on its first tank. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled it considering it was running that 8 tooth rim. I can see this saw getting a lot of use for anything 14" and under. Can't wait to get another 10-15 tanks through it and see how it breaks in.

Ian

Ah. You had me worried there [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hey Ian.
You need an early 066......
Nah, I've got a late 395. I just need to use it. A buddy of mine has that 066 and brags on it every time we talk firewood. Big ol country boy uses it for everything from trimming his fingernails to dissecting the big dead oaks on his property. His 359 just holds the shelf down now.

Nah, I've got a late 395. I just need to use it. A buddy of mine has that 066 and brags on it every time we talk firewood. Big ol country boy uses it for everything from trimming his fingernails to dissecting the big dead oaks on his property. His 359 just holds the shelf down now.
Yeah. I grab the smallest saw that will do the job.
Most of the time......the 200psi 090 is a lot of fun...lol

stumping on the first tank...? aint that a little tough on a new saw?

I don't think so. It's a tool, and he used it like one. The break in period is all about heavy loads, and he did just that. But, that's just me.

+1 What catbuster said!

Baby a saw for the first or a few tanks. Why?

Not a GTG.
Just gonna swing by on a road trip.

I'm about 30 minutes below Lexington down in Kentucky. A good 2 hours from the Ohio border. I don't burn wood anymore so I don't even have anything I could noodle with a long bar.

Done for the year or all together?

I haven't been to a GTG in 4 or 5 years now. I think the last one was at Ericjeeper's place in indiana. How long has that been? I went up there with Terry (dustytools). I was going to the West Kentucky GTG this past fall, but in the end decided not to. I'm not much for camping.

Ian

I cut down a 30 inch Ash today and used my WWS550 to cut up the top for firewood for my neighbor. It is set up with 18inch, .325, 8pin. It was a joy to use. It really ran good and didn't slow down much in the 12inch stuff.
If I could have made it to the WKY gtg I won't care if I had to sleep in the barn.

stumping on the first tank...? aint that a little tough on a new saw?
If it's not buried in good bar length wood the auto tune wouldn't be set up Rich enough.
I don't think so. It's a tool, and he used it like one. The break in period is all about heavy loads, and he did just that. But, that's just me.
Exactly what you're suppose to do to set up an auto tune saw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back