another MS261 thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poke it with a stick!!!

or a 2mm allen wrench in the hole and slowly turn CCW. You will feel the plastic limiter slip.
Turn it about 3/8th of a turn so you are in the limiter adjustment range and try it.

If you tune by ear and by feel, the answer to that question won't matter.

I do tune by ear. I just like to know all the pertinent information that I can with each saw I work with.
This is my first experience tuning a strato and have heard they are more difficult to hear the 4-stroking.
I'll just fatten her up till I know for sure then start leaning it out.

update. did some felling, limbing and bucking with the 261 this past weekend in some swamp maple and red oak. saw performed like a champ! really like the power the saw has for it's displacement.

the saw is a PIA to start when cold though. is it the advanced timing? it feels like it might snap the starter cord until the saw actually starts.

update. did some felling, limbing and bucking with the 261 this past weekend in some swamp maple and red oak. saw performed like a champ! really like the power the saw has for it's displacement.

the saw is a PIA to start when cold though. is it the advanced timing? it feels like it might snap the starter cord until the saw actually starts.
Yup. Drop it back for the winter.

I got the limiter out of the way and my next question: are these 261 coils limited or non?

In an earlier thread by Brad Snelling, he found that the coil was limited somewhere "north of 15,000". He tightened the squish & advanced the timing on mine after I had "unlimited" the H needle & done a MM. It clearly 4 strokes at 15,000 when at full operating temp & is not hitting the limiter. Don't worry about it, it won't get in your way. Enjoy!

In an earlier thread by Brad Snelling, he found that the coil was limited somewhere "north of 15,000". He tightened the squish & advanced the timing on mine after I had "unlimited" the H needle & done a MM. It clearly 4 strokes at 15,000 when at full operating temp & is not hitting the limiter. Don't worry about it, it won't get in your way. Enjoy!
Hey, thanks for the info, thats exactly what I wanted to know.
I am thinking I will pull the base gasket on this 261 and see if that will help.
I dont think it will run with my Jonsered 2152 just yet.

Hey, thanks for the info, thats exactly what I wanted to know.
I am thinking I will pull the base gasket on this 261 and see if that will help.
I dont think it will run with my Jonsered 2152 just yet.

Here's a little more info. He did not remove the base gasket, &, also said he does not do pop-ups on 261s. The compression went from 165 to 190 after the lathe work. Performance wise, it now holds 12,500 in the cut (maple) when being properly fed with the 18in bar & .325 RS buried! If you want to push it to the limits of torque with a very heavy hand, it will still maintain 11,000-11,500 in the cut. You might be surprised, & I might be too, in a head to head against the 2152. If the 2152 is not ported & will keep up, I would consider it a very special saw!:clap::)

Here's a little more info. He did not remove the base gasket, &, also said he does not do pop-ups on 261s. The compression went from 165 to 190 after the lathe work. Performance wise, it now holds 12,500 in the cut (maple) when being properly fed with the 18in bar & .325 RS buried! If you want to push it to the limits of torque with a very heavy hand, it will still maintain 11,000-11,500 in the cut. You might be surprised, & I might be too, in a head to head against the 2152. If the 2152 is not ported & will keep up, I would consider it a very special saw!:clap::)
The 261 has been muff modded-thats it. My 2152 has been muff modded, the base gasket removed and the transfer ledge? on case cleaned up a little.(The same process as on 2159's and 359's to match case dimensions to actual cylinder dimension.)

The 261 has been muff modded-thats it. My 2152 has been muff modded, the base gasket removed and the transfer ledge? on case cleaned up a little.(The same process as on 2159's and 359's to match case dimensions to actual cylinder dimension.)

OK. I misunderstood as far as how many mods would be done to the 261. Let me go back to when mine was MM only & with the H needle "unlimited" so I could retune. At this point in time, the throttle response improved a TON. I was also able to fatten it up to where it was definitely better than with the factory settings. It was now taching at 13,300 & was happy there. After 3 or 4 more tanks of gas it was broken in to the point where it wanted to be at 13,700 & was really starting to show some muscle. I took it to the dealership & had the owner hold the tach, a DTI 20,000, while I buried the bar in maple. He said it was holding 11,500-12,000 in the wood. We were both very impressed. After Brad Snelling advanced the timing & tightened the squish, raising the compression from 165 to 190, it then performed to the specs which I described earlier. It will be interesting to hear how it stacks up against your 2152.

I removed 20" b/c with Stihl safety green chain(don't like that chain AT ALL) and put on a 16" 3/8 combo. I run this same combo on the Jon 2152. The ms261 will now run w/ the 2152!!! Pretty pleased.
51b40abb591cbecd00d31e78173170be.jpg
6c3f1c3e4b0338cc5dd05194523fe5c3.jpg

Guess I forgot to include in the above post that I opened up the muffler a bit more and pulled the base gasket also.
Got it tuned pretty well and running strong: tachs right around 12,000 and cleans up nice in the wood.

Latest posts

Back