X27...........um, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

war-wagon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was at Tractor Supply the other day looking at overpriced PTO shafts when I came across the stand. Mother of God, there she is! Read plenty, looked them up online, but never saw one in the flesh. Grabbed that puppy up and made a B line for the register. Woke up this morning for my ritual splitting before the rest of the household rises and unsheathed the beast. Over in the corner of the woodshed has been this ugly, nasty block of locust i've just been ignoring due to the grief and frustration I knew it was bound to bring me. Well it's now stacked with the rest of the wood, along with every other round that was in the woodshed. Didn't break a sweat, didn't take long, didn't dare to swing that lovely lifesaver any harder for fear of driving her into the ground. Guess I'll have to cut a nice cookie for a chopping block. This is the best axe I have ever had the pleasure of laying my grubby little hands on. Well done Fiskars, well done.

yep they are great the very first swing I blew threw that oak right into the ground and of corse there was a little rock burried below and chipped the blade, now i have 2 one in the truck for field splitting (chipped one) and my new one at home with a splitting cookie. enjoy and happy splitting

So I was at Tractor Supply the other day looking at overpriced PTO shafts when I came across the stand. Mother of God, there she is! Read plenty, looked them up online, but never saw one in the flesh. Grabbed that puppy up and made a B line for the register. Woke up this morning for my ritual splitting before the rest of the household rises and unsheathed the beast. Over in the corner of the woodshed has been this ugly, nasty block of locust i've just been ignoring due to the grief and frustration I knew it was bound to bring me. Well it's now stacked with the rest of the wood, along with every other round that was in the woodshed. Didn't break a sweat, didn't take long, didn't dare to swing that lovely lifesaver any harder for fear of driving her into the ground. Guess I'll have to cut a nice cookie for a chopping block. This is the best axe I have ever had the pleasure of laying my grubby little hands on. Well done Fiskars, well done.

Welcome to the Fiskars cult! hahaha!

Ya, use a splitting block and split inside an old tire if you can fit the round. Save the edge and maybe save your foot....

I haven't done it yet but for the past year now I have been promising myself I was going to make a bonafide splitting platform and use a big used up rear tractor tire on top of that, so I could load up a ton of rounds and get to mass quantities "processing". I've seen the rope and bungee trick, but I like the protection of swinging those things inside the tire.

bonus!

Town Highway Dept just called, they are going to exercise their right of way on the other side of the road and wanted to knwo if i'd like the wood. When it rains it pours! Bring it the BTUs

:rock:

Welcome to the club. In a few months pick up a can of oil based lube. Spray the blade down liberally before and after use....cause that fancy gray coating wont last forever.

yep they are great the very first swing I blew threw that oak right into the ground and of corse there was a little rock burried below and chipped the blade, now i have 2 one in the truck for field splitting (chipped one) and my new one at home with a splitting cookie. enjoy and happy splitting

Ha ha I did the same thing, I was so used to a regular maul I split the round and buried the x27 about 5 inches into the ground and hit a rock, I had to get out my file and sharpening stone to fix the edge. Now I split on a nice wood cookie also.

And I thought I was the only one... rocked my x27 the same way, on the first swing. nearly brought me to a tear :hmm3grin2orange:

They are great um "tools", because I am not sure "ax" does it justice.

dw

And I thought I was the only one... rocked my x27 the same way, on the first swing. nearly brought me to a tear :hmm3grin2orange:

dw

Nnnnnnnnnnnnope.

You are not alone. Count me in also.:msp_thumbsup:

Fiskars really should pay for Arborsite's bandwidth for a year...I'm sure we helped break a few sales projections on those puppies :hmm3grin2orange:

I keep hoping fiskars will ship me a sample whenever they get a new prototype axe to try out! Hey...might happen!

I am really not all that much of a "brand" fanboy, but I'll make an exception for fiskars. all their tools I have tried so far are great. Been using their supershovel a lot this summer. It was spendy at 30 clams, but tell ya, it is sure worth more than three ten dollar shovels.

Fiskars really should pay for Arborsite's bandwidth for a year...I'm sure we helped break a few sales projections on those puppies :hmm3grin2orange:

They certainly should be a sponsor! Perhaps the site owner should just ask them if they would like to be. I'd like to try out one of their spaltzhammers whatever they are called, the heavier maul with the fiskars styled blade and that composite striking head on the back. I have no idea why they don't try selling them in the US.

bonus!

Town Highway Dept just called, they are going to exercise their right of way on the other side of the road and wanted to knwo if i'd like the wood. When it rains it pours! Bring it the BTUs

:rock:

There you go! Sounds like you will keep the X27 busy.

Had mine out for a little therapy session today. Since i was splitting 12-16" ash and some black walnut all I really had to do was walk towards the pile with the x27 in a threatening manner.

The best splitting block I've found so far is a large round of willow...very stringy and stays wet so it acts kinda like a dart board when the x27 blows through from an enthusiastic swing.

The tire is the next must have. Another x27 for the truck too. Half rounds are much easier to load. Or 1/4rd

I broke down and got one at you guys' repeated suggestions and am very pleased with it. I primarily cut hedge for firewood, but cut about a cord of black locust as well each year and only split the black locust by hand since it is so easy and good exercise. Can't wait to turn loose the X27 on the locust for next years firewood.

Still use the hydraulic splitter for the hedge and elm I cut though.

Just tell folks the truth. It's a specially designed Zombie defensive weapon. You just split wood with it to keep your aim true.

The Finns are not to be trifled with.

First, the Russians try and invade them (twice):
(Talvisota)
<iframe width="800" height="600" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OXaSPn7JBfM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Find out they're this whacked:
(Rare Exports)
<iframe width="800" height="600" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UQaE3HjXvEk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And are so traumatized, the Leningrad Cowboys can simply look at them and make the Red Army Chorus sing Sweet Home Alabama:
<iframe width="800" height="600" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0lNFRLrP014?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do not underestimate their ability to hone a piece of steel.

Last edited:
Just tell folks the truth. It's a specially designed Zombie defensive weapon. You just split wood with it to keep your aim true.

Well.... I have much better "tools" around the house, behind bedroom doors, and in other places for dispatching zombies...

Although I have seen a mock-up of an AR15 w/ a battery powered chainsaw mounted like a bayonet would be as a zombie gun....

dw

Back