X27...........um, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.... I have much better "tools" around the house, behind bedroom doors, and in other places for dispatching zombies...

Although I have seen a mock-up of an AR15 w/ a battery powered chainsaw mounted like a bayonet would be as a zombie gun....

dw

damn, I didn't think I posted those pictures....

Ok, so TSC has this famdangled ax, er um tool, that I don't have yet.....

...Ok, so TSC has this famdangled ax, er um tool, that I don't have yet.....

WHAT! You don't know what you are missing. The ones here in KY just go them in. I had to order mine on-line. Wallie-market had the X25 which I bought it is good (great actually) but a little short for my liking (I am 6' - 6'2" depending on my footwear). I found the X25 a bit short.

TSC has both the X25 & X27 splitting axes, they also hav eth ex?? regular ax, and tjhe X17 (I think) camp hatchet. Seve X## in all from the 8" X5 - the X27. So yea TSC has a few and you can get a feel for the length. The X27 is longer than a typical maul so that also takes some adjusting, but that length adds up to some tremendous head-speed.

dw

I'm a big fan of my X27. It handles nearly everything I throw at it. I've found that it's counter-intuitive to over-swing it, though. At first I was starting with a full 180* swing (from behind me all the way in front to round of wood) but somehow it wasn't as effective or accurate as a 90* swing (starting holding it straight up in the air and coming down on round) More speed, less power, and keeping the blade sharp really makes all the difference with these guys. Slightly modified technique from traditional, heavy maul.

The only thing I have trouble with is really knotty, twisted stuff and rounds that are over 22-24" in length. I've split a bit 24" length oak rounds with it this past summer, but it certainly wasn't easy. Under 20" and not knotty is a piece of cake normally and it doesn't wear you out like a maul does. I split about 3-4 cords this spring and summer with mine.

I've definitely gouged mine up a bit from hitting the ground. I was really careful at first to try and split on top of another round, but found it better to split with the round either on the ground or really close to the ground for the extra swinging distance. Somehow, the little plastic handle sharpener (make by Fiskars) actually works to restore the edge on the blade. Doesn't take out big chunks or nicks, but I suppose that's what a file and a lot of patience are for...

Also have the little X7 hatchet, which is still quite sharp and the blade is still in perfect shape. Great for splitting kindling. I'd love to have another X27, just to start out fresh with a new, untainted blade...

I think the x25 is good if you split on a chopping block about 24" off the ground. Then you don't need the long handle.

The only wood that has given my X27 a real challenge is beech -- I had some rounds about 24" in diameter, and they just laughed at the X27. The head would bounce off like a ping pong ball on concrete. I would finally make progress by chipping off from the edges and work my way in, but it was still a chore compared to dealing with the same size rounds in other hardwoods. This was when the beech was within a couple months of being fresh cut. I have some more rounds that have sat another 6 months, and will see if they are any easier (or worse).

On every other wood I have tried, the X27 is pretty amazing. Some of the softer wood seems to darn near split itself when you just wave the X27 around.

War-wagon, ya got me.
I couldn't get this thread out of my head- I've been putting off getting an x27 as I have yet to see one in the flesh, and I've always split with an 8lb maul no problem, but the news that TSC started carrying them is too tempting to ignore. After reading so many rave reviews on this site, this one finally pushed me over the teflon edge. I'm ready to pull the trigger.

So I finally made the 25mile trip, but my local TSC sold out their x27's!
In 3 days!
:angry:

It's probably all 'cause of this thread!:msp_biggrin:

Gotta wait till next friday for the re-stock. [sigh]
:popcorn:

Love it!

attachment.php

I do use a tire now, thank you for making those 24" fancy rims, the tires work perfect!

View attachment 254650

WHAT! You don't know what you are missing. The ones here in KY just go them in. I had to order mine on-line. Wallie-market had the X25 which I bought it is good (great actually) but a little short for my liking (I am 6' - 6'2" depending on my footwear). I found the X25 a bit short.

TSC has both the X25 & X27 splitting axes, they also hav eth ex?? regular ax, and tjhe X17 (I think) camp hatchet. Seve X## in all from the 8" X5 - the X27. So yea TSC has a few and you can get a feel for the length. The X27 is longer than a typical maul so that also takes some adjusting, but that length adds up to some tremendous head-speed.

dw

I would like the longer handle.. I looked long and hard to find an old mega mall, (large 16lb trianlge head with longer than the normal short handle all the newest ones have had). I've never liked a light weight ax for splitting... I"m just a little guy (5'10" and 160 soaking wet). I need all the help I can get. The 16lber is definately a workout and great for staying in shape.

OK, I’ll be the dissenting voice in this thread…
I’m not as awed by the X27 as many seem to be. Yeah, it’s a good tool worth having, but it ain’t the magic wand so many claim it is. I’ve tried it on elm and Bur Oak… the 8# maul does better. It is handy for straight grained stuff; zips right through it… but for stringy, twisted grain, knotty stuff or big rounds I’ll take the 8#’er every time. I’d rather swing 8#’s once than 4#’s two, three or more times. When used on the right type of wood it’s a darn good tool… but I sure don’t place it on an altar. Where I think it shines is turning bigger splits (quarters) into smaller splits, or splitting rounds of about 15 inches and under… but the big and/or gnarly still require a good heavy maul if ya’ wanna’ be effective.

My procedure…
Well first of all, if I have a bunch to split I don’t even bother with an ax or maul, but…
I set the round up and take a swing with the Fiskars, if it don’t bust first swing I grab the 8#’er and quartet it. I set the second round up and take a swing with the Fiskars, if it don’t bust first swing I grab the 8#’er and quartet it. Then I’ll give it one more shot, if it don’t bust the third round first swing I grab the 8#’er and quarter (or halve) everything before switching to the X27. Ain’t no way I’m gonna’ take multiple swings if’n I don’t have to.

attachment.php

I do use a tire now, thank you for making those 24" fancy rims, the tires work perfect!

View attachment 254650

Hey, check it out... an "Anvil on a Stick" in the background !!!

I’m not as awed by the X27 as many seem to be. Yeah, it’s a good tool worth having, but it ain’t the magic wand so many claim it is. .....

Ain’t no way I’m gonna’ take multiple swings if’n I don’t have to.

And you're absolutely right, it isn't the tool for every job, no magic wand. It's a great example of correctly engineering a tool to function properly on wood it was designed for. It's not for crotches and very twisty grained wood, it works best on stuff 12" or less that's green, or maybe 16-18" of dry wood. I'd be hesitant to try it on 2' or bigger wood, not that we have any around here anyway.

I’m not as awed by the X27 as many seem to be. Yeah, it’s a good tool worth having, but it ain’t the magic wand so many claim it is. I’ve tried it on elm and Bur Oak… the 8# maul does better. It is handy for straight grained stuff; zips right through it… but for stringy, twisted grain, knotty stuff or big rounds I’ll take the 8#’er every time. I’d rather swing 8#’s once than 4#’s two, three or more times. When used on the right type of wood it’s a darn good tool… but I sure don’t place it on an altar. Where I think it shines is turning bigger splits (quarters) into smaller splits, or splitting rounds of about 15 inches and under… but the big and/or gnarly still require a good heavy maul if ya’ wanna’ be effective.

My procedure…
Well first of all, if I have a bunch to split I don’t even bother with an ax or maul, but…
I set the round up and take a swing with the Fiskars, if it don’t bust first swing I grab the 8#’er and quartet it. I set the second round up and take a swing with the Fiskars, if it don’t bust first swing I grab the 8#’er and quartet it. Then I’ll give it one more shot, if it don’t bust the third round first swing I grab the 8#’er and quarter (or halve) everything before switching to the X27. Ain’t no way I’m gonna’ take multiple swings if’n I don’t have to.

Agree. It is just another tool - an outstanding one for its purpose but it fails where a wedge or heavy maul is needed.

I am still shocked after 2 years of the way it eats B. Locust. Of course I put all the knotty/crotch and twisted stuff aside (about 10% of the chunks) for processing on the splitter.

Harry K

anyone have a sku number so I can call my two closests TSCs? Each one is about a half hour away....

called four TSC's and none of them even carry FisKars.... wtf?

Hit and miss I guess

site sponsor has them for 60 bucks and shipping--of course you might could beg grande dog to put them on sale with free shipping...worst he can say is no...

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=78846935&catID=

I do not know if any other sponsors carry them

If you have an ace hardware close, they have them in the system and can order them and free pickup at the store. That's how I had to get my original supersplitter.

called four TSC's and none of them even carry FisKars.... wtf?

They are just starting to carry them. Until just a few weeks ago the only fiskars product in the stores here was the machete / corn knife, Then the fiskars display showed up. If one store has them, it means they are in the "blue book" which means they can order them.

dw

Back