X27...........um, wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go ahead and buy one on amazon and send me the $9 finders fee. Since you don't need it and all.

Well, actually I purchased mine online sometime back, because no one local sold that model. I was merely interjecting that $9 is not the $20 mentioned previously... but for $9 I will gladly keep my local economy running vs. some online retailer.

Amazon is cheaper by $20 - and if the conditions are right, you can get free shipping.

dw

Well, actually I purchased mine online sometime back, because no one local sold that model. I was merely interjecting that $9 is not the $20 mentioned previously... but for $9 I will gladly keep my local economy running vs. some online retailer.

dw

Ok, you win.

Except that if spending money at TSC has diddly to do with a local economy - perhaps I need a local economy lesson. I, like you apparently, shop online because often I can find a better price. Be it $9 or $20 - the local economy of my personal bank account prefers that I keep the money rather than spend it. Oh, and where I live, my TSC won't bring the Fiskars right to my front door.

Ok, you win.

Except that if spending money at TSC has diddly to do with a local economy - perhaps I need a local economy lesson. I, like you apparently, shop online because often I can find a better price. Be it $9 or $20 - the local economy of my personal bank account prefers that I keep the money rather than spend it. Oh, and where I live, my TSC won't bring the Fiskars right to my front door.

True, they don't deliver... but by local economy I mean the folks working the local stores... if we all go online, there are a lot of those retail jobs to loose. I buy online, but if I can go put my hands on a product first, and it is only a few $$ more I will get it local, just me, we all have our ways... my local TSC is on my way home from the office so it is not even out of my way.

dw

OMG! I found one. Went to TSC anyways last night. had a 10% off coupon... found it in a little display by the hand tools, not in the sledge hammer, axe, maul area... I cut down a white oak today and am amazed. I took a 6 min long video that is uploading now. It is now the holy grail, but it is an AWESOME tool for smaller stuff. Only on the big trunks did it not work well. stay tuned... and it looks so sexy with a Stihl or Husky.

E1675796-E979-475B-B1F2-CE16E269670C-3858-00000736B63B1AF9.jpg

It's a fine tool alright

I shot a video back in June splitting with the X27. Normally I use the tire but this particular day I didn't.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gtMtunURYM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gtMtunURYM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Not sure what species of wood this was...some of the knottier rounds needed a bit more persuasion but overall things went nicely.

Last edited:
Bare with me, been a few years since I've swung an axe...

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid983.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fae311%2Ffreakingstang%2FHouse%2F2D56FE61-AB81-48C5-A589-FEDBDB666837-3858-00000769B38F6167.mp4">

QUOTE=Freakingstang;3865164]Bare with me, been a few years since I've swung an axe...

Didn't realize those iphones took such nice video. Nice work on those rather tall looking rounds:rock:

I bought a X27 about a month ago and finally used it to split a PU load of black locust. Impressive for sure. The edge will cut paper like a sharp knife. Im majorly impressed how well the sharp edge holds up. I bought the sharpener for the heck of it but aint used it yet. Im gonna go get the short one at wally world just to have another, think there about $39 for the X25, might help with my over striking.

I bought a X27 about a month ago and finally used it to split a PU load of black locust. Impressive for sure. The edge will cut paper like a sharp knife. Im majorly impressed how well the sharp edge holds up. I bought the sharpener for the heck of it but aint used it yet. Im gonna go get the short one at wally world just to have another, think there about $39 for the X25, might help with my over striking.

Don't know how tall you are but at 5ft 9 I like the way the X27 feels moreso than the X25. After a few rounds you just kinda get a feel for where you need to stand to get the best result. That longer handle just feels so right!

QUOTE=Freakingstang;3865164]Bare with me, been a few years since I've swung an axe...

Didn't realize those iphones took such nice video. Nice work on those rather tall looking rounds:rock:

Its the first
iPhone 4... The new ones are even better. Something I forgot to mention. Most
Of the rounds are 19-21". That's the best size for me, Typically a smaller axe won't touch them thats why i prefer a heavier maul. Im little and need all the extra help i can get! It was hard to see in the video but on the bigger rounds you could hear the pop. I normally split when it's freezing out. But I am thoroughly amazed. Over swinging is an issue. I'm used to a full stroke with a big mega maul. This thing is so sharp you only need a half stroke....

I get some 24-36" rounds from the tree services occasionally and the best way to whittle them down to size with an x27 is to work slabs off the perimeter rather than trying to halve it and get nice pie shaped splits. If you have some small crotches to be split try laying them down and whacking them from the side. Had pretty high sucess rate doing that so far. Anthing that won't pop after a few whacks goes to the hydraulics pile. Either way I'm spending a lot less on gas and gym memberships

Thats the way to do it with the big rounds , work the edges and whittle it down, don't go straight for the kill.

I've been kinda a unbeliever about this but after seeing those vid's I'm heading down town to pick up a X27 this morning :msp_smile:

I've been kinda a unbeliever about this but after seeing those vid's I'm heading down town to pick up a X27 this morning :msp_smile:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Give it a fair shot and let it do what it's designed to do. Fgure out where you need to stand and let 'er rip! As was mentioned in some posts months ago you usually get the best results when you strike the edge of the round farthest away from you:msp_thumbup:

You'll like it most likely! Just be careful and learn from other's initial mistakes, including me, dang I came this close to whacking my foot. Blew through a round, axe kept coming and whizzed right by. Yikes! Went to inside a tire right then! It is lightweight and *very* sharp. You don't need a normal off to the side swing like with a maul, straight up and down is better (and much faster once you get in the groove). WATCH OVER SWING. That sucker'll take yer..whatever it hits clean off. Split on a clean block, not the ground, to save the edge and stop it there, and split inside a tire if you can. Besides that have fun and pics or it didn't happen!

You'll like it most likely! Just be careful and learn from other's initial mistakes, including me, dang I came this close to whacking my foot. Blew through a round, axe kept coming and whizzed right by. Yikes! Went to inside a tire right then! It is lightweight and *very* sharp. You don't need a normal off to the side swing like with a maul, straight up and down is better (and much faster once you get in the groove). WATCH OVER SWING. That sucker'll take yer..whatever it hits clean off. Split on a clean block, not the ground, to save the edge and stop it there, and split inside a tire if you can. Besides that have fun and pics or it didn't happen!

Great advice...especially for first timers:msp_thumbsup: And what zogger said about it being sharp is no joke and I had seven stitches to back him up on it:cool2:

+1 on the pics!

I just picked up an x27 at TSC and went to try it out on a load of red oak. My 14yr old saw it and would not give it back! He was practically giddy when he hit a piece of wood and it exploded apart. Says it is much more fun than the 27 ton splitter. So we got into a grove, I would quarter the large rounds with the 27 ton splitter and he would finish them off. Went through a truck load in no time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back